Animal Rights drone shot down

Started by Major Lord, February 18, 2012, 12:17:13 AM

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Smokey

Moment of silence ;D

That's some pretty good shootin'.  I think that would be a great new sport.  I'm game!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Major Lord

I like it! A highly expensive version of skeet or trap, using drones for targets! I hope that we can issue a badge for Cadets who can manage to smoke a required number of drones! If the nice animal rights people are willing to provide the skeet, so much the better....( I am a member of PETA: People for the Eating of Tastey Animals) ......And safer than "Skeet Surfing" which should make our safety people happy.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NIN

US 601, Broxton Bridge Plantation Airport. Hmmm.

Isn't there some sort of restriction on flying RC aircraft (lets call a spade a spade, here, this drone is a glorified RC helicopter) close to airports?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

davidsinn

Quote from: NIN on February 18, 2012, 06:10:04 PM
US 601, Broxton Bridge Plantation Airport. Hmmm.

Isn't there some sort of restriction on flying RC aircraft (lets call a spade a spade, here, this drone is a glorified RC helicopter) close to airports?

Three miles I believe.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

So shooting them down is our patriotic duty as CAP members? Excellent ( imagine Mr. Burns-like evil templing  of hands) After 5 RC's you become an Ace right?

Major Lord

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on February 18, 2012, 06:20:06 PM
So shooting them down is our patriotic duty as CAP members? Excellent ( imagine Mr. Burns-like evil templing  of hands) After 5 RC's you become an Ace right?

Major Lord

Hate to burst your bubble but air defense troops don't become aces... ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

I am weeping quietly in my office.......If we kill the enemy drones with our own drones, would that count?

Major Lord

SarDragon

Now that might be fun. Dueling helicopters, with small size paintball guns on them.   >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

You know, we DO have a missile model rocketry program...  :angel:

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on February 18, 2012, 08:35:54 PM
Now that might be fun. Dueling helicopters, with small size paintball guns on them.   >:D

Paintball is verboten as well...

I am just raining on your parade today aren't I? >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

Hmmm, might be a real challenge to take down a toy helicopter with an Estes "Alpha" rocket.......

Major Lord

arajca

Maybe not as much as you might think. The Alpha MOVES - especially with a C6-4. Just  matter of timing the launch.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on February 19, 2012, 02:44:04 AM
Maybe not as much as you might think. The Alpha MOVES - especially with a C6-4. Just  matter of timing the launch.

I think guidance would be an issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Hmm...  My old boy scout troop always made a game of trying to shoot down model rockets with a potato gun...

Major Lord

I think the delay in ignition would be the biggest impediment to trying to use an Estes engine. I think it would be cool to run something like the Alpha in a game where cadets shoot rockets through indirect fire and try to hit (or land closest to) a target on the ground. They could use a spotter to call in and adjust their positions, and set up protractors and compasses to direct the Alphas. This exercise would be just for fun of course, it has no military application.....You would need the engine with no parachute charge. Sort of like pyrotechnic lawn darts!

Major Lord

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on February 19, 2012, 04:55:57 AM
I think the delay in ignition would be the biggest impediment to trying to use an Estes engine. I think it would be cool to run something like the Alpha in a game where cadets shoot rockets through indirect fire and try to hit (or land closest to) a target on the ground. They could use a spotter to call in and adjust their positions, and set up protractors and compasses to direct the Alphas. This exercise would be just for fun of course, it has no military application.....You would need the engine with no parachute charge. Sort of like pyrotechnic lawn darts!

Major Lord

As long as you stay above 75 degrees of elevation you're good. The CAP rocket program uses the NAR safety code which prohibits "horizontal" shots.... >:(
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Duke Dillio

Perhaps the shooters thought the drone was a pigeon...

Major Lord

Quote from: GoneAway on February 19, 2012, 05:58:35 AM
Perhaps the shooters thought the drone was a pigeon...

You can only shoot the live pigeons when they are in the designated fire zone, or it counts against your score, it just would not be sporting otherwise! The most dangerous job in the world used to be the guy who would pick the pigeon out of the cage and throw it; He would try to deceive shooter and frequently ended up full of birdshot if he faked too well....Maybe the live drone shoot would be a new tech sport for the ages? For quite a while, the City of San Francisco was paying a pigeon trapper to capture birds, with the idea being that there were going to be taken to the wilderness and released into nature......It turns out, that was where the live pigeon shooters would get their aerial targets......

Major Lord

RADIOMAN015

Well what is interesting is what privacy does anyone have with even these mini camera rpv's.   You decide to put up a high fence around your property back yard and your neighbor is very noisy, so he buys a small radio controlled helicopter and mounts a camera on it.

If he keeps it in his own yard or on a public street flying fairly high but peering into your property is that an invasion of your privacy :-\ ???   Even on overflights of private property, surely there's an FAA federal regulation minimum for aircraft BUT nothing for these small devices.  Will each state's laws have to be updated to reflect this potential invasion of privacy.  I know there's laws/rulings on PI's video taping/picture taking of people (especially on disability cases being reviewed/investigated).

BTW I don't think there's any regulation on remote control aircraft being flown next to airports.  One club leased land for 4+ years very close to the approach zone to Runway 23 at KCEF.  Additionally there was an rc club across the street from KBAF for many years until the land was sold.  KCEF has allowed hobbyists to actually meet on an unused taxiway on the base in the past and fly their aircraft (with instructions likely to keep away from the active runways).       

I think the helo rc type aircraft with cameras would be a great aerospace education project with possible ES usage for CAP to study.  I know in our wing it got dropped :( 

Hey maybe I'll just charge up my indoor mini Apache helo and fly it around in my man cave this afternoon -- the living room would be better because of the higher ceilings, BUT that will require permission from the chief air traffic control person, and  she's been very concerned about my lack of skill in controlling the helo ;D
RM