Main Menu

Cadet AEex Questions

Started by Krapenhoeffer, July 02, 2010, 03:28:29 AM

Eclipse

Cadets don't join CAP to do the same things they can do at home - they join CAP to be involved in unique opportunities only CAP and related resources can offer.

They can watch movies and go to amusement parks on their own time.  CAP contact hours should be relate-able to CAP.

Aceing AE exams is a challenge, but its not exactly rocket science (oh, well I guess it actually is, anyway)...

CAP is supposed to be about making the "hard stuff", "fun", not just being goofy with activity names so you can go on Batman the ride.

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2010, 07:07:34 PM
Cadets don't join CAP to do the same things they can do at home - they join CAP to be involved in unique opportunities only CAP and related resources can offer.

They can watch movies and go to amusement parks on their own time.  CAP contact hours should be relate-able to CAP.

Aceing AE exams is a challenge, but its not exactly rocket science (oh, well I guess it actually is, anyway)...

CAP is supposed to be about making the "hard stuff", "fun", not just being goofy with activity names so you can go on Batman the ride.

Well I'm glad you're not the supreme boss of cadet activities then.  These cadets are receiving instruction from fighter pilots on how they do what they do and then applying that in a simulation with other students and against aggressors who are themselves real fighter pilots.  I don't see how that is anything but Aerospace Education.

Again, the GA instruction is very important but taking it to that next level is what these guys look like they're trying to do.

You're right, any kid can sit at home and play video games but if you can't see what this program is about then you're missing the picture.  Just reading their website should be enough to explain that they're teaching something that is just as real-world as flying a Cessna.

Eclipse

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 06, 2010, 07:37:30 PM
You're right, any kid can sit at home and play video games but if you can't see what this program is about then you're missing the picture.  Just reading their website should be enough to explain that they're teaching something that is just as real-world as flying a Cessna.

I'm not talking about VFWS, I'm talking about Krapenhoffer's wing-level idea.

None of my comments have been directed at, or about VFWS.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Why not take the wing level idea, and remove the combat element from it?  We are not a combat organization.  I could see using it to reenact historic battles but other than that, the idea of a tournament seems outside our AE arena. 

Instead this would be an awesome opportunity to apply all of the things they've learned in their earlier modules of aerospace or to help reinforce the things they are currently learning. 

Recently we had all the cadets in the squadron go to our University's computer lab (where Microsoft Flight Sim was installed on every computer, and they were coupled with yoke and rudder pedals)  and we had all of them linked together.  They had a blast, and they learned something too.  MFS also has a neat ATC feature that you can incorporate into it all. 

If they want to play combat simulators, fine but like VFWS, they need to have strong learning objectives that fall within our AE curriculum.
We're not doing our cadets any favors by doing "fun" just for the fun of it.
Paramedic
hang-around.

flyboy53

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 02, 2010, 03:28:29 AM
So, my squadron's AEO suggested an idea to me (the ITO), and I'm tempted to run with it.

The idea started with having a few computers hooked up during a weekend for a Combat Flight Simulator LAN not-party cadet activity.

And then I turned to my poor, underused server... And came up with an idea. A wing wide Combat Flight Simulator cadet tournament.

I told the AEO my idea, and he sort of had an evil grin show up on his face.

I have a bizarre hobby of throwing stress tests on all of my poor computers, so I know the server is up to the task.

Thoughts, suggestions, emotional outbursts?

Evil grin because most AEOs are terminal kids.

You have an excellent activity idea. You are doing something that I have agressively promoted in my own wing. Now do this wing ETAA a favor and make it meaninful, not just a shoot-them-up video game cadet fest fun night.

I suggest using FSX or 10 in the future because it has a network capability and might be a little more AE-interesting and meaningful. There's even a CAP search and rescue mission originating from Idaho as part of that program. (Not to mention the popular add-on). FX9 would allow cadets to see what it was like to fly the Spirt of St. Louis or the Wright Model A.

Using PC-based flight simulators is already gained a lot of popularity in the NYW. It is even the basis of a research project that I did that is now at NHQ.

Think about it, an AE activity simulating flight and not burning up gas. Want some other ideas? Check out what the Air Cadet League of Canada does. Those cadets wear flight suits and they earn wings after completing required training.

As far as the flight suits go, relax guys. If it helps build the mood, serves as an incentive and gives an aviation frame of reference...all the power to you. Therefore, if the cadets are wearing flight suits, I only ask that the insignia be correct and the appropriate commander has blessed it.

Krapenhoeffer

...Except that the "CAP" Mission that comes with FSX Deluxe is very, very inaccurate. Not to mention the networking issues that come with FSX. These problems are not easy to fix.

There are two ways of hooking up a multiplayer session in FSX. 1) Gamespy, which rarely works properly and 2) Direct IP connection, which is impossible to do with Norton installed. You can try disabling Norton, doesn't work. The only way to make it work is to uninstall Norton. And I can't do that to Corporate-owned PCs.

Our liaison officer has tried working with the nearby Fighter Wing, to see if we could tour the facilities, and try their F-16 simulators, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Now, I have had success working with Falcon 4.0, which I have heard an F-16 pilot describe as "This isn't fun. It's like work, except that I'm not getting paid."
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

flyboy53

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 19, 2010, 04:49:57 PM
Now, I have had success working with Falcon 4.0, which I have heard an F-16 pilot describe as "This isn't fun. It's like work, except that I'm not getting paid."

I like Falcon 4.0, too. Everything works. Your next step as a unit should be to construct a mock-up cockpit from wood. I'd check the Internet. Check this out:

http://www.hanskrohn.com/

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 19, 2010, 04:49:57 PM
There are two ways of hooking up a multiplayer session in FSX. 1) Gamespy, which rarely works properly and 2) Direct IP connection, which is impossible to do with Norton installed. You can try disabling Norton, doesn't work. The only way to make it work is to uninstall Norton. And I can't do that to Corporate-owned PCs.

Try FSHost and see how that works. It's stand-alone software for hosting FS02, FS04, and FSX all in the same environment. I used it a lot for hosting ATC sessions on FS04, it's really great software.