Something interesting happened to me this evening

Started by ande.boyer, August 19, 2006, 11:10:58 PM

Nathan

My story was really bad...

There were about nine guys from Kansas at NBB 2004, and we all rode together in a CAP van. On the way back home, we stopped at Wal-Mart for some munchies, and those who didn't want anything (including me) just stretched our legs outside of the van. Of course, only a couple of hours out of NBB, we were wearing our berets.

Next thing I know, this guy with a fake leg, battle scarred, and wearing a Vietnam service hat walks up to us very somber-like. He just walks up and hugs the SM captain in charge of us, and say, "I want to thank you guys for what you're doing for our country. I was in 'Nam as a Green Beret, and I understand what you guys are going through. Thanks..."

No one knew what to say. This guy was being so emotional that to tell him that we were only CAP and then start spurting off nerd-facts about us would probably severely embarrass the guy, so the captain just said, "Thanks, and thank you for your service." They guy walked away, and we were all a little awed.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

NIN

I have this big ass scar on my neck, and when people see it, they go "Holy jesus, what the hell is that from?"  so I always (jokingly) say "Helicopter accident.."

I'm at Fort Bragg this summer, and I say that, and the Sergeant Major standing to my right says "[Goshdarn] right, I got a [goshdarn] Huey shot out from under me 30 [goshdarn] feet  over the [goshdarn] LZ.." while the Navy Command Master Chief on my right goes "Yeah, me too!" and whips out x-rays of his neck after they put the steel plates in following his helo crash..

Now I'm stuck: Do I say "uh, guys, that was a joke" and look like a real idiot, or just slink away?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Heh - if there is one I've learned, one place to avoid comparing tales is with RealMilitary®

Something similar happened during the encampment this year, I was unpacking some crates that I use to carry basically everything CAP. 

I jokingly made a remark about how I was still shaking out Mississippi sand from the containers after being "deployed" to Katrina relief (HEY! It's a big deal to me!).

The RDC I was with (great guy) immediately replied "Yeah, know what you mean, I just can't get the Afghanistan sand out of mine..."

Whoops.

A quick scan of the racks of those in the room told me they had ALL seen recent duty "over there".   Heh, double whoops.

(Don't get me wrong, these guys are awesome, and later in the weekend when we did the full Katrina presentation, we got the typical thanks and "You do this for FREES?!?!", I just learned quick about the term "big dog").

:D

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

Let's not all forget that we do serve this country and its citizens... so is it so odd that someone should thank us for our service?  Okay, okay.  It's odd cause no one knows about us, but that doesn't mean we don't serve and don't deserve a thanks.  Just smile back and say, "No, ma'am, thank you for supporting us!" or if you have time, talk about CAP and make sure that the next time these people thank someone with blue name tapes, it's for their actual service.
GEORGE LURYE

ryan s

I'm only a 13 year old cadet so i obviously do NOT look old enof to be in the military so whenever i wear my BDU or blues in the public like in a gas station after one of our meetings i get a lot of weird looks. i never Know what to say.
cadet airman Ryan scott
ner-ny-135 compsite sq.

CAP428

I was offered the military discount at Bass Pro Shops once and a Kwik Trip employee once asked me "How long you been in?" like I was in prison.  :D  I just chuckled and politely said, "I'm in Civil Air Patrol."

Then my friend who works at Little Caesar's said "I never knew you werein the Air Force!"

CLB

Quote from: afgeo4 on September 05, 2006, 12:39:25 AM
Just smile back and say, "No, ma'am, thank you for supporting us!"

I never thought to say that.  Will certainly use the next time.   ;)

To the cadets:  Perhaps the best thing you can do in a situation like aforementioned is to listen to any experience the engaging party wishes to share.  You're probably doing them more good than you know, and it's obvious that they're proud of a young man or woman taking time away from the PS2 to do something worthwile for the community/nation. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron