Unit Patch Histories

Started by LeoBurke, September 24, 2007, 03:18:30 AM

alamrcn

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 26, 2007, 03:53:33 AM
Great Lakes Region.  (Whose patch you were involved in creating, BTW!)

Yup, over 8 years ago now!

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/regions/glrfltop.html

I still have a fax from Col Charles (at least I think it was from him) in my archives with an "inprogress" design on it as we came up with the final changes of various features and their historical significances. The concept was pretty much all there by the time I became involved at the end. I think it turned out real nice!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

dogboy

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 24, 2007, 03:52:19 AM
Quote from: LeoBurke on September 24, 2007, 03:18:30 AM
My recent post of a NEADS (formerly USAF/1st Air Force North East Air Defense Sector) patch generated some emails.

Thought I would post some history that I do know on various patches.

More to follow.....

Willing to trade/sell some, not others.

Leo Burke

Then there are the Belgian Air Cadets.   One patch is their equivalent of the CAP Command patch.  The other is the patch worn by cadets who flew gliders at their airbase located at Berzell (EBZR). 

There are about 300 Belgian Air cadets (16+ years old) at any time.  They must pass a First Class Medical to be considered and stay for three years.  They also get to drink beer at night after the flying day has ended.

Why is the Belgian Air Cadet badge in English? Couldn't they decide on Flemish or Walloon so they choose a neutral language?

LeoBurke

Quote from: alamrcn on September 26, 2007, 03:58:53 PM
Quote from: LeoBurke on September 26, 2007, 03:53:33 AM
Great Lakes Region.  (Whose patch you were involved in creating, BTW!)

Yup, over 8 years ago now!

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/regions/glrfltop.html

I still have a fax from Col Charles (at least I think it was from him) in my archives with an "inprogress" design on it as we came up with the final changes of various features and their historical significances. The concept was pretty much all there by the time I became involved at the end. I think it turned out real nice!

-Ace

I believe it was my good friend Colonel William Webb, who developed the design. 

Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

LeoBurke

Quote from: dogboy on September 26, 2007, 04:14:34 PM
Quote from: LeoBurke on September 24, 2007, 03:52:19 AM

Then there are the Belgian Air Cadets.   One patch is their equivalent of the CAP Command patch.  The other is the patch worn by cadets who flew gliders at their airbase located at Berzell (EBZR). 

There are about 300 Belgian Air cadets (16+ years old) at any time.  They must pass a First Class Medical to be considered and stay for three years.  They also get to drink beer at night after the flying day has ended.

Why is the Belgian Air Cadet badge in English? Couldn't they decide on Flemish or Walloon so they choose a neutral language?

Excellent question.  Belgium has THREE official languages.  Dutch (or Flemish), French, and Germany.  Basically the country is the size of Maryland.  The Northern half speaks Dutch, the Southern half speaks French.  There is a population of about 40,000 German speaking people in the East. 

All official government business is spoken, conducted, and printed in three languages. 

However, ENGLISH is the language of aviation.  So their patches are in English.  Their cadets are required to attend (and pass!) a ten day ground school in the Spring of their first year.  That Summer, flight encampment is three weeks long.  They must solo within about 20 flights or they wash out.....   

Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

pixelwonk

This WIWG Southwest Group patch is my design, made at the request of then Group Commander, Maj Jeff Thomas.  The final proof was submitted on Oct 7th 2005.

In designing the patch, I wished to keep a traditional feel by using familiar colors found in Air Force art.  The gold and dark blue can be found in many USAF organizational emblems, as well as the GLR patch.  This also signifies our ties to the Great Lakes Region.

The three red airplanes found in the sinister chief portion of the shield represent the three missions of Civil Air Patrol. They fly upward to denote the SW Group members stepping up valiantly to meet any challenge.  The six stars represent the six squadrons that comprise the SW Group.

The eagle, positioned dexter base, is found extensively in SW Wisconsin and watches protectively over the rest of the state.  The red tri-prop signifies the physical location of the group.

alamrcn

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 27, 2007, 03:25:14 AMBasically the country is the size of Maryland.  The Northern half speaks Dutch, the Southern half speaks French.  There is a population of about 40,000 German speaking people in the East. 

Can't the people in the East just take over the Southern population while the Northern folks stand idly by?  heh heh heh  They are cool patches though!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

NIN

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 24, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

You do rock.  I had the other screen printed version somewhere, can't find it.

So if there are three in existence, they have be worth about $500 ea.  Right?

I have a screen printed version.  Make it "four."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LeoBurke

Quote from: NIN on September 28, 2007, 06:22:14 PM
Quote from: LeoBurke on September 24, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

You do rock.  I had the other screen printed version somewhere, can't find it.

So if there are three in existence, they have be worth about $500 ea.  Right?

I have a screen printed version.  Make it "four."

Nice, you're diluting the pool.  Now they are only worth $375 ea.   Weren't you required to sever all ties with Michigan Wing when you left?  remember the walk of shame at the Ohio border, we turned our back and you walk out the gate?

You were supposed to leave your patches then.....

;)
Leo Burke, Michigan