Did anyone else feel the disturbance in the Force Saturday?

Started by Eclipse, August 14, 2018, 10:45:11 PM

Eclipse

11 August was the last day to submit promotions under the "1-Click" grandfather clause
of CAPR 35-5 from 2014.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R035_005_489E25C089E93.pdf
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19182.0

There was a fair amount of activity in my wing last week and Saturday, I wrote
an LOR for one person who I am happy to say received a well-deserved promotion.

For better or worse, we'll start seeing a lot less Majors and Lt Colonels around these parts.
Not only do the additional years stretch things from 10-13 years minimum, but the NSC
requirement will be a gating factor, reducing the number of potential Lt Cols to less then 100 every year.

A lot of my peers have resigned themselves to their current grade due to the RSC / NSC requirements. 

Hope you got in under the wire if you could...

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Nice graphic (is that maroon?).

I had an emergency mid week so I'm just starting to catch up, but yeah we had at least one deserving MAJ who was trying to get a PD rating approved in time to submit his Level 4 to then submit his LTC promotion... all with less than a week to go. While someone may be very deserving, at some point I'm not dropping admitting my spouse to the ER to spend time doing an "emergency" approval.  "Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on my part", etc.

But, far as I can tell, just one or two here.

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on August 14, 2018, 11:00:28 PM

I thought about going that way, but in this case, just a poorly color-matched image.

I had an emergency mid week so I'm just starting to catch up, but yeah we had at least one deserving MAJ who was trying to get a PD rating approved in time to submit his Level 4 to then submit his LTC promotion... all with less than a week to go. While someone may be very deserving, at some point I'm not dropping admitting my spouse to the ER to spend time doing an "emergency" approval.  "Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on my part", etc.

I'd say that's justification, and that's been what I had seen as well - not just the promo, but whole
long-completed PD levels had to go through first.  The typical hyper-active members with no time for their own PD.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 10:45:11 PM

11 August was the last day to submit promotions under the "1-Click" grandfather clause of CAPR 35-5 from 2014.

I finally made Major after 32 years as a Captain.  What was holding me up was wing conference attendance.  I have actually completed the requirements for Level 4, they just need to be documented.

However I have no PME equivalent for Level 5, so I may well be a Major for another 32 years.

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 11:29:04 PM

I thought about going that way, but in this case, just a poorly color-matched image.

I'd say that's justification, and that's been what I had seen as well - not just the promo, but whole
long-completed PD levels had to go through first.  The typical hyper-active members with no time for their own PD.

Yeah... I'm reading a bulky inbox now trying to sort what all happened (in the midst of all the auto emails about aircraft status, funding changes/adds to support flying, requests for fund raising, SLS/CLC/TLC plans, etc.) and I'd like to hope that this 99th sheep hasn't gone irretrievably lost. I want to see if we can legally award L4 and promote, even if its past the date, as long as he had submitted by the deadline.

Still, kids... "don't be that guy"!  Vicarious learning!   :o 

"Wing weenies" (for the most part) do want to help, but late submittals and failing to read the regs first make "no!" the default answer to send you back to the books when the rest of the team needs attention, and we can't afford scarce volunteer time trying to fix your (self induced) fires.

Cheers
Spam

UPDATED:   SWEET!  We got him Level IV, we got him Lt Col.

Spam

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 14, 2018, 11:33:12 PM
11 August was the last day to submit promotions under the "1-Click" grandfather clause of CAPR 35-5 from 2014.

I finally made Major after 32 years as a Captain.  What was holding me up was wing conference attendance.  I have actually completed the requirements for Level 4, they just need to be documented.

However I have no PME equivalent for Level 5, so I may well be a Major for another 32 years.

Congratulations Major Dutton!

Don't you feel so much more Field Grade after that wonderful Wing Conference?   ;D
(I hate CAP cons with a passion... very poor cost/benefit ratio, plus I'm not a real social butterfly).

Cheers
Spam

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Spam on August 14, 2018, 11:53:59 PM

Don't you feel so much more Field Grade after that wonderful Wing Conference?   ;D
(I hate CAP cons with a passion... very poor cost/benefit ratio, plus I'm not a real social butterfly).

Cheers
Spam

For the low low price of one conference, I too can get my railroad tracks!

When I explained this process to an outsider with some understanding of military history, his response was: "So CAP is selling commissions? How very British Empire!"

MSG Mac

Had my Squadron Commander just squeaked under the wire with 6 days left. I had to promise him I'd attend RSC (second time as student 5th overall,) with him
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spam

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 15, 2018, 12:08:02 AM
Quote from: Spam on August 14, 2018, 11:53:59 PM

Cheers
Spam

For the low low price of one conference, I too can get my railroad tracks!

When I explained this process to an outsider with some understanding of military history, his response was: "So CAP is selling commissions? How very British Empire!"

Shoot... now you're gonna have Brit in CAP weigh in on this like a ton of bricks.  Or a Tonne. Or a furlong of stones (furstones?), or whatever.

Hawk200

What exactly does this mean? Not current, may be a year or three before I get back.

Does it mean that I could regain my previous rank, a reduction, or starting over again?

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Spam on August 15, 2018, 12:18:59 AM

Shoot... now you're gonna have Brit in CAP weigh in on this like a ton of bricks.  Or a Tonne. Or a furlong of stones (furstones?), or whatever.

Nahh...I'm enjoying the read far too much.  Plus...it's true!  BITD (until 1 November 1871) that's what happened in the infantry and cavalry.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 15, 2018, 12:58:06 PM
What exactly does this mean? Not current, may be a year or three before I get back.

Does it mean that I could regain my previous rank, a reduction, or starting over again?

If you follow the links in the OP it shows the detail on the 2014 changes to 35-5, however it doesn't affect
restoration of grade for former members, it's in regards to increasing time-in-grade, as well as changing the PD needed to be eligible for promotion.

In Aug 2014, members were allowed 4 years to complete their "next" promotion under the old program,
after which time the new requirements are applicable to all, and those who got a "1-click up" would have to catch
up their PD before subsequent promotions.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2018, 05:30:29 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 15, 2018, 12:58:06 PM

If you follow the links in the OP it shows the detail on the 2014 changes to 35-5, however it doesn't affect
restoration of grade for former members, it's in regards to increasing time-in-grade, as well as changing the PD needed to be eligible for promotion.

In Aug 2014, members were allowed 4 years to complete their "next" promotion under the old program,
after which time the new requirements are applicable to all, and those who got a "1-click up" would have to catch
3.8. Former Members.  A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable professional development criteria).  Requests for former member grade reinstatements for those members rejoining with a two year or less break in service may be based on the grandfathered duty performance promotion requirements until 11 August 2018.  A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory.  If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive and the date of
CAPR 35-5    22 NOVEMBER 2016 13

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

^^^ Oh Man, I forgot about that too...more incentive to rejoin "I can't just wear my old uniforms."

Protip: Don't let that membership lapse.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 15, 2018, 12:08:02 AMFor the low low price of one conference, I too can get my railroad tracks!

Between taking unpaid time off work and the hotel, it cost me around $600.  Not only that, but I didn't get to actually attend anything.  I spent the entire conference in a meeting room turned into a closet issuing and receiving equipment.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2018, 05:30:29 PM

I think I understand now. Sorry, should have followed a few things, but this week was kiddo's birthday, so it's been a busy week. I'm trying to catch up a bit, but it may be a little while before I get back.

Live2Learn

Only those who are motivated by honoraria would likely feel the fabric of their being quake..