Help add to the Air Force Officers Guide!!!!!!

Started by Spike, August 17, 2009, 06:09:50 AM

Spike

OK.....I was wondering if I should post this or not.  I decided it is probably better to post it.

About a year ago, I was speaking with an Author at a book fair (yes I am a nerd, since I am part owner in a bookstore  :) ) and I learned he was a representative from the company that publishes the Air Force Officers Guide.  (Not sure if anyone has a copy??)  Well I began emailing him a few weeks later and I have the go ahead to write a section in the guide about "CAP, the Official United States Air Force Auxiliary".  I am doing this because I convinced him that the majority of Air Force Officers have never heard of CAP, and have no idea what CAP does, nor what CAP can do for them or the AF.

I have yet to start writing a single thing.  I feel like the guy in that Steven King novel "Misery", waiting for my ankles to be broken by some psycho person....

I am no where near the professional writing level (as you can tell from my posts).

I am now asking whomever wants to contribute to throw out ideas for the 2011 updated copy of the Air Force Officers Guide. 

No, I have not gotten CAPNHQ approval, but the Lawyer neighbor has stated that a reference text like the Guide, can include anything without NHQ approval anyway. 

So there it is.  In two years everyone here will know who I am, for better or worse. 

I have a very, very simple outline;

1) History
2) Missions today
3) Membership (type and benefits)
4) Services CAP Offers (AF support, etc.)
5) Interaction between CAP Members and AF Members
6) Similarities between CAP and AF
7) How CAP Operates

This list is in no particular order, and I have about 1 year before my submission needs to be into the publisher and have the Authors approval. 

So in conclusion, Looking for help!  Feel free to add suggestions here.  I respect everyones opinions and suggestions and will take each seriously.  If I take your suggestion and run with it, I will add your name as a contributing source. 

Thank you all, in advance.  This is going to be a huge endeavor and the benefit of educating future and currently serving AF Officers abut CAP can bring endless opportunities.

Smithsonia

Spike;
Our History is exemplary and should be esteemed among Air Force Officers. Frankly, in our history there is both the sacrifice and glory that should impress any military officer. PM me and I'll gladly help you with the writing as to the historical nexus. I've already got the research.

SEE the Maj. Gen. John Curry thread in the Aerospace Education section for the institutional context that first united the Air Force and CAP. I'll need perimeters for this piece. (how long, deadline, etc.) I can help with the History section of your request, mostly.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Thom

Ambitious!

While I am sure that you will have the services of editors and proofreaders from the publisher, I'd be happy to help out with proofing and editing.  I'm a fair to decent wordsmith in my day job, though it doubtless doesn't come across that well in the forum.

Also I'd suggest, depending on the format of the section, adding an 'Elevator Speech' in a highlighted or emphasized passage.  Commonly this is done with a standout colored box, near the beginning of a section.

The 'Elevator Speech' is the quick and dirty, 60 second or less spiel about CAP, what it is, and what it does for the Air Force.  Something like this:

"Civil Air Patrol is the Official Auxiliary of the US Air Force.  Chartered by Congress, CAP is composed entirely of civilian volunteers who assist their communities and the USAF through three primary missions: Aerospace Education, helping instill the value of Air and Space dominance to the next generation, Cadet Programs, essentially (and yes, this is a gross oversimplification, it's an Elevator Speech...) Air Force JROTC for young men and women who don't have AFJROTC available in their schools, and our most visible role, Emergency Services.  CAP flys the world's largest fleet of single engine propeller planes, providing extremely cost-effective Search & Rescue capabilities over the inland US.  CAP's planes allow us to cover more ground than Police Helicopters, at one third the cost, and operate lower and slower than USAF jets, providing more effective visual searches.  CAP aircrews provide Disaster Relief services such as Aerial Photography and Flood Surveillance, as well as Counter Drug and USAF Intercept Training missions.  CAP ground crews provide ground based Search & Rescue capabilities complementing our aerial teams.  CAP is also available to assist the USAF within the US at any time where a light plane and trained aircrew would be beneficial to the USAF objectives."

Something like that, is a quick blurb that they will at least read, even if they gloss over the whole rest of the section.

Thom Hamilton

RiverAux

As a courtesy, I would suggest you let NHQ public affairs know since this is a national-level publication. 

This was a great idea and I'm glad you're working on it. 

aveighter

At AF.mil, look for a fact sheet on Civil Air Patrol.  This will give you an insight into what the AF already says about us.  It is actually pretty good and may make a decent starting point for what you want to do.

RiverAux

Probably 3 years out of date.  The NHQ Public Affairs site has one updated very recently. 

aveighter

When it was written is really quite irrelevant. 

It is useful to know what the AF already thinks and expresses in it's official publications to it's own members about it's auxiliary if one is contemplating writing a guide for AF members about their auxiliary.

What NHQ has is wonderful, I'm sure, but that wasn't the point was it?

Is it really important for you to make a comment, inane or otherwise, on every [darn] thing?

RiverAux

QuoteWhen it was written is really quite irrelevant. 
Well, it is when the facts given are out of date.  I checked and they've actually updated it fairly recently (Jan 09) since the last time I looked, but almost all the information is from 2005 and shouldn't be used now.  I didn't catch anything that was actually wrong about CAP on this one but generally any AF web site is very unreliable as to any facts it may provide about CAP.   

Interestingly, the AF fact sheet about CAP says that AFRCC is at Langley, when we all know it has been at Tyndall over 2 years ago. 

Spike

If anyone wishes, please feel free to email me at:

jacobnjackson@gmail.com

Thanks!

Jay.

ColonelJack

Spike,

If you're a nerd for owning a bookstore, I must be a mega-nerd for writing books.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Airrace

Great idea. I can't wait to see it in print.

CAP Producer

Quote from: Spike on August 17, 2009, 06:09:50 AM
OK.....I was wondering if I should post this or not.  I decided it is probably better to post it.

About a year ago, I was speaking with an Author at a book fair (yes I am a nerd, since I am part owner in a bookstore  :) ) and I learned he was a representative from the company that publishes the Air Force Officers Guide.  (Not sure if anyone has a copy??)  Well I began emailing him a few weeks later and I have the go ahead to write a section in the guide about "CAP, the Official United States Air Force Auxiliary".  I am doing this because I convinced him that the majority of Air Force Officers have never heard of CAP, and have no idea what CAP does, nor what CAP can do for them or the AF.

I have yet to start writing a single thing.  I feel like the guy in that Steven King novel "Misery", waiting for my ankles to be broken by some psycho person....

I am no where near the professional writing level (as you can tell from my posts).

I am now asking whomever wants to contribute to throw out ideas for the 2011 updated copy of the Air Force Officers Guide. 

No, I have not gotten CAPNHQ approval, but the Lawyer neighbor has stated that a reference text like the Guide, can include anything without NHQ approval anyway. 

So there it is.  In two years everyone here will know who I am, for better or worse. 

1) History
2) Missions today
7) How CAP Operates

This list is in no particular order, and I have about 1 year before my submission needs to be into the publisher and have the Authors approval. 

So in conclusion, Looking for help!  Feel free to add suggestions here.  I respect everyones opinions and suggestions and will take each seriously.  If I take your suggestion and run with it, I will add your name as a contributing source. 

Thank you all, in advance.  This is going to be a huge endeavor and the benefit of educating future and currently serving AF Officers abut CAP can bring endless opportunities.

Hi Spike,

I would like to work with you on this.

Thanks and have a great day.

Al.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

dhon27

If it's the guide written by Col Benton, there is (or I should say was) a half page blurb on CAP in the 34th Edition.  I believe the current edition is the 35th, which I haven't read.

Spike

^ Yes.  The publisher is in process of thinking about changing Authors, and the current Author has not decided to stay or pass it on.  Either way, the CAP section will in fact be a "chapter". 

Thanks everyone for your desire to assist.  As a larger group comes together, I will send each what I have so far, and we can begin collaborating officially.

Jay 

Capt Rivera

The following link may or may not be helpful....
- Just noticed it this morning and figured I would pass it on. I have not looked over the content  on this page...

USAF PME Students: CAP Info
http://capmembers.com/cap_university/usaf_pme_students_cap_info.cfm
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Spike on August 17, 2009, 06:09:50 AM

1) History
2) Missions today
7) How CAP Operates

I a bit puzzled why an AF Officer Guide would need so much information about Civil Air Patrol ???.  Whether one has ANY contact or not with CAP has very little to do with ones career advancement.  Although CAP is a special duty assignment I'm wondering if for most assigned officers it's the last stop prior to becoming "retired" rather than a stepping stone to significant career enhancement ???
RM
RM 

Thom

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 25, 2009, 01:26:42 AM
I a bit puzzled why an AF Officer Guide would need so much information about Civil Air Patrol ???.  Whether one has ANY contact or not with CAP has very little to do with ones career advancement.  Although CAP is a special duty assignment I'm wondering if for most assigned officers it's the last stop prior to becoming "retired" rather than a stepping stone to significant career enhancement ???

The point of this info is not for those who will someday be assigned to CAP-USAF, it is for the regular Air Force Officers who may have to interact with CAP during their normal duties.

Let me count the ways:
SAR (obviously)
Intercept Training
Transport of CAP personnel and property (it still happens)
Cadet Encampments at AF Bases
Surrogate Predator
Border Flights
etc.
etc.

Plus, if they don't know about CAP, they will never know to ask if we can help them with a particular need.  Witness the AF Guard General mentioned earlier, who complained about not having enough planes to cover the border well enough.  Does he know about CAP?  Does he know what we can do, and how cheaply, compared to the jet-A burning Air Force?

Those are the sorts of answers about CAP that Air Force officers will find in this guide.  Hopefully they will remember them (at least the gist of them...) when the occasion comes that CAP would be useful to the Air Force.

Thom Hamilton

Capt Rivera

I was wondering...

Would you retain any ownership/rights to your contributions? Receive any royalty from sales, etc...?

Its cool to help in this endeavor but don't forget it is a for-profit endeavor (I assume) and you should get something for your efforts besides a thank you....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Spike

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 25, 2009, 01:49:51 PM
I was wondering...

Would you retain any ownership/rights to your contributions? Receive any royalty from sales, etc...?

Its cool to help in this endeavor but don't forget it is a for-profit endeavor (I assume) and you should get something for your efforts besides a thank you....

I agree it would be nice to receive some cash, but this is entirely a not for profit endeavor.  First step is to get into the guide itself.  This will benefit CAP, just as it will benefit those Officers who buy the guide.  It will help spread the word about CAP, and hopefully gain the interest or intrigue by those officers skimming the section.  If it does come to me getting payment, the money will flow from the publisher directly to the "CAP CARES" fund.  I have no interest in payment. 

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 25, 2009, 01:26:42 AMI a bit puzzled why an AF Officer Guide would need so much information about Civil Air Patrol ???.  Whether one has ANY contact or not with CAP has very little to do with ones career advancement.  Although CAP is a special duty assignment I'm wondering if for most assigned officers it's the last stop prior to becoming "retired" rather than a stepping stone to significant career enhancement ???
RM

The Officers guide is not just about an Officers career.  If you have a chance to take a look at one, it delves into many topics not even related to one's career.  The need to include so much info about CAP stems from the fact that 95% of the entire Air Force has no clue there is an "official Air Force Auxiliary" to begin with.  My friend is currently writing a one page interest piece on CAP for inclusion in the "Airman" Magazine.  We need to spread the word to the Air Force, about who, what and where we are, and how we can assist them.  If we do not, we will slowly work our way out of Air Force conversations.

Unfortunately and I hate to say it, this is one HUGE area that NHQ Public Affairs has fallen short in.  However with THE NEW leadership and a great CAP Officer leading the charge in Public Affairs I think it will change.

I am only trying to do my part.     

DakRadz

I noticed the timeline of this proposal, and was wondering what happened to it, as the 1 year due date passed about 2 months ago.

So, are we in the USAF Officer's Guide?