Deputy for Seniors and Cadets

Started by USADOD, April 18, 2009, 12:07:55 AM

IceNine

Quote from: USADOD on April 18, 2009, 12:07:55 AM
Today, I was told to prepare for a additional assignment and that may be to take on the duty of Deputy Commander for seniors in conjunction with my current duty position Deputy Commander for Cadets. I've never seen this in a composite squadron, is this possible?

Tell him that position is called "deputy commander" remove the "of" and eliminate the 2 duty titles.

then immediately appoint a staff officer to both sides of the house.  A PDO, and a CP guy
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

seniormember0607

Mr. sinn
I don't believe the former CD/C of your unit was removed, I believe he resigned from his position.

davidsinn

It was a situation of "You can't fire me; I quit."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

seniormember0607

Mr. Sinn,
I believe if you were to ask the person in question you would realize that he was not on the verge of getting fired.  The commander knew he was having some issues he was working through, and he was told that they were in the process of looking for a new candidate to fill the position to take some load off of him.  He was asked if he had a problem with them looking.  He had gotten very frustrated with a lot of things going on at the squadron level.

USADOD

Quote from: IceNine on April 20, 2009, 04:18:28 PM
Today, I was told to prepare for a additional assignment and that may be to take on the duty of Deputy Commander for seniors in conjunction with my current duty position Deputy Commander for Cadets. I've never seen this in a composite squadron, is this possible?

Tell him that position is called "deputy commander" remove the "of" and eliminate the 2 duty titles.

then immediately appoint a staff officer to both sides of the house.  A PDO, and a CP guy

That would make it  either a Senior or Cadet squadron. Being that both programs have strong membership, I do not believe that is a option.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

USADOD

Quote from: seniormember0607 on April 20, 2009, 06:19:11 PM
Mr. Sinn,
I believe if you were to ask the person in question you would realize that he was not on the verge of getting fired.  The commander knew he was having some issues he was working through, and he was told that they were in the process of looking for a new candidate to fill the position to take some load off of him.  He was asked if he had a problem with them looking.  He had gotten very frustrated with a lot of things going on at the squadron level.

You sound very close to the person in question. ;D
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

IceNine

Quote from: USADOD on April 20, 2009, 07:09:17 PM
Quote from: IceNine on April 20, 2009, 04:18:28 PM

That would make it  either a Senior or Cadet squadron. Being that both programs have strong membership, I do not believe that is a option.

Cite?  Are you really trying to tell me that being appointed the Deputy Commander specifically means that your unit is specialized?

Call me crazy but removing specialization in the duty titles (i.e.- deleting "of xxxx") means that you have removed the specialization from the duty requirements.

Not that you have changed the charter of the unit.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: IceNine on April 20, 2009, 08:52:11 PM

Quote from: IceNine on April 20, 2009, 08:52:11 PM
Call me crazy but removing specialization in the duty titles (i.e.- deleting "of xxxx") means that you have removed the specialization from the duty requirements.

Not that you have changed the charter of the unit.

I agree with IceNine - I am a Squadron Deputy Commander. Fortunately there is a DCC.

Prior to becoming the Squadron Deputy Commander, I was the Deputy Commander for Seniors.
I took on the "upgrade" due to our commander needing to travel for business often and oftentimes being out of communication. Decisions still need to be made in his absence which can sometimes be for over a week. (An example, I was acting CC during the first half of disaster response for the Grand Forks Composite Squadron during the 2009 ND Floods)

Primarily the Squadron Commander runs the show with me delegated some of his responsibilities at times. (We both work full time and have kids) (Don't want him to burn out). The DCC runs the cadet program.

As a Squadron deputy commander I split my time to ensure both programs run smoothly and with coordination whenever possible. I know much about both programs but probably not as much as the Squadron CC or the DCC in their respective area of responsibility.

I often think of my job as the learning phase to maybe someday become a squadron CC if needed and if my wife allows.  ;) I do believe the best squadron CCs are versed in both programs.

Our squadron is not huge but it works well and our squadron is growing and retaining members. (Cadet & Officer). There is room for improvement and we will continue to do so.

(The above information is not provided for self serving purposes nor is it a all inclusive representation of the functions of the top 3 positions within my squadron. I by no means am ready or want the Squadron CC or DCC position at this time and would not be able to perform my functions as ably/confidently as I do without the Squadron CC or DCC we are blessed with. The 3 of us would not be as successful without our admin/personnel officer. (I would insert the PDO but that would be tooting my own horn  >:D )

The point: It is possible & sometimes warranted/desired regardless of the size of the squadron. There is no minimum membership amount required per regulation for a reason.

If you would have the responsibility of a Deputy Commander of Cadets & Deputy Commander for Seniors at the same time you are deserving (hopefully) of the title of Deputy Commander. If the Squadron CC feels a Deputy commander position if warranted and feels you meet his description of a squadron DC, then you should be one... (There should be reason/need is what I am getting at. You appear to have that)

http://tiny.cc/DutiesoftheDeputyCommanderforSeniors
QuoteNOTE: The duties above also apply to the deputy squadron commander. Squadron commanders should develop a detailed position description for their deputy, outlining his/her specific duties and responsibilities in support of the overall squadron mission.

Edit: replaced DCS  with DCC
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

USADOD

Thank you,Sir; for the information.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495