Vermont Wing Cadet Program Website

Started by TwistedLogic, February 21, 2006, 07:20:06 PM

TwistedLogic

www.vtcadets.org

My brother and I just finished getting the new VTCP websire online.  It could look better but we we've been restricted becuase we're using PHP Nuke so that even cadets with little web design experience can maintain the site after we've moved on.

Thoughts?
C/Maj Noah Schill
Cadet Commander
Burlington Composite Squadron

whatevah

sorry, forgot to reply...

well, it looks ok for a *nuke site.  that isn't saying much, though.  they all look alike, an original template would make it look a lot better (I can't even read the small text in the logo banner).  and, nuke sites are pretty popular for hackers, so make sure you keep up on the updates and show whoever takes the site over how to do it, too.

even though it isn't so great, links to the VTWG website should be a lot more prominent.  right now, the only one I can see is in the scrolling links bar on the left, and it's going too fast for me to click on (can you slow it down?)

as a content thing, "Prospective cadets (youth 12-21) can visit this page."... you can't join as a cadet if you're over 18. even though you can stay a cadet until the day you turn 21.  speaking of which, that should even say "12-20" if you're referring to the age range of current cadets. :) 

aside from the standard *nuke layout, it looks pretty good since you have updated content. :)  most CAP sites don't have this.   :clap:
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

pixelwonk

Quote from: TwistedLogic on February 21, 2006, 07:20:06 PM
www.vtcadets.org

My brother and I just finished getting the new VTCP websire online.  It could look better but we we've been restricted becuase we're using PHP Nuke so that even cadets with little web design experience can maintain the site after we've moved on.

Thoughts?

ditto Everything what Lt Horn said...

I'd be semper vigilant about making sure that updates/backups are made and the cadets that will be running it after you move on are aware of this as well.

Granted, it won't be the end of the world if the site goes down, but it sure will save a lot of time and effort if backups are made frequently.

As an aside, I prefer Joomla, an offshoot of Mambo for a CMS.  Seems to be faster than the *nukes  and permissions administration is considerably user-friendlier than the nuke variations

ande.boyer

I think it looks pretty good.  Although looks are only part of the equation....gotta keep that content updated and put up useful information for members as well!

-ande