Calling the room after a class

Started by C/CMSgt Lws, August 10, 2016, 12:08:34 AM

C/CMSgt Lws

we had a question going around a few squadrons about when to call the room or if you do at all before or after a class, i couldnt find anything on this online anyone know anything about this?

AlphaSigOU

At the beginning or ending of the class you call the room to attention when the instructor (if he or she is a cadet or senior member officer) enters or leaves the classroom. The room is not called to attention during class.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 10, 2016, 12:51:50 AM
At the beginning or ending of the class you call the room to attention when the instructor (if he or she is a cadet or senior member officer) enters or leaves the classroom. The room is not called to attention during class.

Caveat on that.

Customs and courtesies say, the first person to notice should call the room to attention when an officer senior to any present in the room enters or leaves.

Standard policy is most AD class room settings is that only the instructor will call the room to attention base on his/her good judgement.
Note....that this is local policy and therefore the question on when and how....should be directed to your chain of command.

Most AD USAF standard practice in the day to day world is to NOT call the room to attention for most officers.   The commander or visiting DVs maybe....but normally we just ignore it.    We are expected to stand up if not actively engaged in work or if you are directly addressed.   But generally speaking......we don't do anything special.

Again.    This is a point about the differences between a training environment (like BMTS or Tech school) and an operational environment.

Seek local guidance on how your leadership wants to run their unit.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

raivo

In most training environments I've been in (and unfortunately, I've spent over a year of my AF career as an AETC student), the guideline is not to call the room because it's disruptive to training... not that that's usually an issue, because most commanders are aware that showing up unexpectedly is a disruption in and of itself.

But, yes... it's up to your commander how they want to handle it.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Tim Day

CAPP 151 states:
QuoteCOMING TO ATTENTION
Key Principle
It is customary for all members to come to attention when the
commander enters the room.
Finer Points
• If an officer who is higher ranking than anyone present enters the
room, the first person to notice commands, "Room, ATTENTION." If
only senior members or officers are present, the first to notice the
commander uses the more cordial, "Ladies and gentlemen, the commander"
instead.
• In a classroom, conference setting, or work environment, these
customs are usually relaxed.

I think I would just add (supporting points made earlier): "...by the unit commander or activity director" since that's who has the authority to relax "these customs."
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander