news article on the 10 kinds of camo uniforms worn by the services

Started by spacecommand, May 10, 2013, 01:37:31 PM

SARDOC

I think they should all just go back to the standard issue BDU.  It was functional and met the needs of every service.   I think that with the services operating more jointly than ever before, they should wear the same uniform and ditch the service rivalry when it comes to the functional work uniform.   Each service already has their own service uniforms to their pride and heritage...which has no place in combat when trying to incorporate the one team effort.

On that note, that's why I think that the Civil Air Patrol, should have one identifiable set of uniforms to identify us as an organization.

Heritage wise...I think we should look back at our history and come up with a uniform that the Air Force no longer uses but that we've used. So that our Organization can be consistently uniform...creating that better image of uniformity which lends to the public and those who don't know who we are about or professionalism.  Just because we are volunteers doesn't mean we can't be seen as professionals.  I think our appearance leads to our credibility as an organization.

coudano

I think it makes sense to have a pattern designed for an AOR that you are going to operate in,
but that EVERYONE who goes to that AOR should wear that pattern, while there.

Back at home, whatever.

Devil Doc

I think it is Funny how the USMC and NAVY spent the less on there deisgns. But the Army and AF spent the most, that goes to show you who has the most funding.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

DocKibbey

I agree, our Unit at Camp Pendelton was one of the first to receive the DigiCam BDUs in 2002 and how big of a deal that was.  It is ridiculous when you look at past uniforms in service how long the standard Woodland BDU has been in service and around, yet when we look at recent uniforms the Army, and Air Force have changed theirs numerous times.  While I understand that areas we have been operating in affect the uniforms some, you can see that both the standard woodland and desert BDUs were widely encompassing in multiple AOs.  I absolutely expect SOF units to adapt uniforms to their AO, however it did seem ridiculous to me when I saw the Navy switch to BDUs.  While having to have seabags for both my USMC & USN uniforms when I served, I also was honored to be able to wear the uniform of USMC and was slightly insulted when the Navy decided they wanted some digi cammies.  When I first started with USMC we still wore the woodland BDUs and they were just fine, albeit did get annoying have to starch the hell out of them!  We were all excited to get the new digi's as we learned we didn't have to starch them and the boots didn't need to be polished, although that's how the original Woodland BDUs started out also.  I would hate to know how much money has been wasted with changing the uniforms so many times.

abdsp51

Quote from: DocKibbey on May 10, 2013, 09:21:55 PM
It is ridiculous when you look at past uniforms in service how long the standard Woodland BDU has been in service and around, yet when we look at recent uniforms the Army, and Air Force have changed theirs numerous times.

The only changes in the AF uniform was the transition from BDUs to ABUs.  The service dress was changed back in the mid 90's, so there really hasn't been numerous uniform changes.  And prior to the BDU to ABU transition it was the transition from the fatigues to the BDU.

ZigZag911

The old "pickle suit" would work well as an AF heritage field uniform. Commercial availability might be an issue.

BBDU for all hands might work just as well.

For dress purposes, we'd need to look at Army Air Corps uniforms from WWII...USAF service uniforms simply have not changed sufficiently over the years for true distinctiveness in an unused version.

Khaki (some called them "suntans") are a possibility; I believe the US Navy still uses something similar, so they'd be commercially available; however, our insignia should be different enough to avoid confusion.

Perhaps the answer is one set of uniforms for cadets (current USAF style) and "heritage" uniforms for seniors  -- mirror image of Air Force Academy/AFROTC.

lordmonar

Well if one wants to go down the redundant duplication of effort argument......

Why do we have three (four) services?

Just to pick on one of them.....the USMC is a completely redundant formation.
It is the Navy's army with their own air force.

As a communicator....each service has his is communications command.....and they do business so differently that we have to have a Defense level agency just to make sure they talk to each other.

One could argue that we need to just go to a single "Department of Defense/War/Military" and just be done with it.

The 10 uniforms came about because each service has its own identity and goals.....and wants to be distinctive from the others.

If I were God for a day.....I would start off with taking all air assets from everyone and give them to the USAF.  The marines would become the U.S. Army Amphibious Corps and the U.S. Army would get just about everything that did not fly or float.

Thank the FSM I'm not in charge.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: SARDOC on May 10, 2013, 02:24:28 PM
I think they should all just go back to the standard issue BDU. 

They should but no fat cat will get rich. I am sure friends of politicians wish we change the camo annually. Military industrial complex working 24/7 on that $5150 hammer.   >:D