2013 Bataan Memorial Death March

Started by unmlobo, March 11, 2013, 03:03:23 AM

unmlobo

Anybody here doing the march this weekend?  It is an amazing experience and I highly recommend it to any member, SM or Cadet!  For the high speed folks, PJOC types, etc., this is a great opportunity to test your intestinal fortitude.  If any one is going lemme know I will be there from Friday to Monday.

http://www.bataanmarch.com/
Major, CAP
HI WG

cap235629

I was in training for it but job loss got in the way and  I lost my focus.... There is 2014......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

So this is just a "walk", right?  It looks cool, but is training necessary?  Maybe because it's the desert?

The average adult male walks about 3 miles an hour, so the full 26 would be a nice long day, but I wouldn't think it would be that
big a deal physically. You'd be knackered at the end of the day, hopefully a nice steak and a hotel room is waiting.

Is it a terrain issue?

(not being a smarty-pants, honestly asking)

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

it is grueling.  Not just a stroll.  Even the "civilian" version is hard.... quite an accomplishment no matter what version you complete
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 11, 2013, 04:09:42 AM
So this is just a "walk", right?  It looks cool, but is training necessary?  Maybe because it's the desert?

The average adult male walks about 3 miles an hour, so the full 26 would be a nice long day, but I wouldn't think it would be that
big a deal physically. You'd be knackered at the end of the day, hopefully a nice steak and a hotel room is waiting.

Is it a terrain issue?

(not being a smarty-pants, honestly asking)
The average adult only walks about 3/4 miles a DAY!  26 miles will kick your butt if you don't train for it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

Ironically, just last drill weekend we discussed sending a team to 2014.

Several of us (6) have completed the Go Ruck Challenge, so we figured this would be a great event to participate in carrying our guidon.
Serving since 1987.

GroundHawg

I went in 2010. I was just home from a deployment, so it wasnt really that bad. Its no stroll through the desert ;)  I did get tons of swag (coins, patches, shirts, and a guideon) and had a really good time.

unmlobo

It was the single hardest thing I have done, but totally worth it.  Meeting the survivors and other participants was humbling.  It is also one of my proudest accomplishments, up there with my wedding and son's birth.  Most definitely it is not a walk but is a foot march.  The march took me 9 hours last year, hoping to do it fewer than 9 this year.  I'm carrying our guidon this year for our group.  I think next year I will try the International Four Days Marches Nijmegen.
Major, CAP
HI WG

GroundHawg

Quote from: unmlobo on March 11, 2013, 09:35:09 PM
It was the single hardest thing I have done, but totally worth it.  Meeting the survivors and other participants was humbling.  It is also one of my proudest accomplishments, up there with my wedding and son's birth.  Most definitely it is not a walk but is a foot march.  The march took me 9 hours last year, hoping to do it fewer than 9 this year.  I'm carrying our guidon this year for our group. I think next year I will try the International Four Days Marches Nijmegen.

I heard this was HARD. A Captain I served under did it twice. He said the DANCON march we did in Iraq was a cakewalk in comparison. (It can be worn on US uniforms as a foreign decoration of The Netherlands btw)

I would love to try this before Im 40!

Private Investigator

A boyhood friend's father survived the original Bataan Death March. Did 30 years and retired as a Master Sergeant in the Marines. 

unmlobo

Finished Bataan again, it was windy up to 35kt but it was well worth it.  Met 3 of the last survivors of the Bataan March.  My team did the march in 10hrs, with a twisted ankle and and torn off toenail.  We are sore, tired, and sunburnt but happy we did it!  Highly recommend it for anyone!
Major, CAP
HI WG

Stonewall

Quote from: unmlobo on March 18, 2013, 04:01:05 PM
Finished Bataan again, it was windy up to 35kt but it was well worth it.  Met 3 of the last survivors of the Bataan March.  My team did the march in 10hrs, with a twisted ankle and and torn off toenail.  We are sore, tired, and sunburnt but happy we did it!  Highly recommend it for anyone!

Out-friggin-standing!  Good job, proud of you!
Serving since 1987.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on March 11, 2013, 04:09:42 AM
So this is just a "walk", right? 
Yes, compared to the actual Bataan Death March, it is a mere walk in the park.  There is no one beating you or sticking a bayonet in you.  You have access to water and medical care if needed.  And it is 26 miles rather than 80.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

unmlobo

26.2  that .2 is a pain.  It is humbling to think you have done something so miniscule to what they went through.  At each of the water/med stations there is a sign saying which village or town it represents on the march.  This is a great re-blueing tool, a way to remind you you why you put your uniform on everyday.  Not for yourself but for the man or women beside you.  If anyone needs to drink the blue kool-aid or remind yourself why you volunteer or serve this is a great and humbling experience for it.
Major, CAP
HI WG

Johnny Yuma

FWIW the Bataan Death march survivors group recently disbanded on account their numbers have dwindled and the surviving ones are becoming too infirm to travel and organize the reunions.

These men are literally dying in front of us.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: