Main Menu

Tax ID

Started by usafcap1, October 15, 2012, 11:23:41 PM

usafcap1

A few months ago I was told that CAP was tax exempt. So do we have a Tax ID number? And where may I find it?

Thanks
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Having CAP's tax ID is mostly of little benefit. FWIW, it is: (EIN) 75-6037853, as listed in CAPR 173-1.

The money you spend for CAP is deductible on your annual return, but only if you have sufficient deductions to benefit from a Schedule A. That pretty well limits it to homeowners, or folks who pay a lot of state income tax. The 2011 standard deductions were $5800 for single filing status, and $11,600 for married filing jointly filing status.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Your unit Finance Manager should be able to provide you with a copy of the Federal and State (if applicable) tax exemption letters.

Some things to bear in mind.

Purchases with those letters need to be for the squadron, activity, etc., not personal use.  More then a few people have gotten themselves
in hot water buying personal items with the tax letters.

Some retailers require you set up the tax exemption in advance of the sale to allow them to verify it.  Home Depot is one of them.
In that case, there may already be a Wing-level account you can use, again ask your unit FM.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

All the EINs other than NHQ's were supposed to go away after the introduction of WBF.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 15, 2012, 11:47:14 PM
All the EINs other than NHQ's were supposed to go away after the introduction of WBF.

A lot of units had their own ID numbers, and those were supposed to be retired, but a Federal EIN isn't going to exempt you from State sales tax,
the wings that have a state tax need to have a state number - I know mine does.

"That Others May Zoom"

usafcap1

Thank you for that info. ;)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

RiverAux

The thing that folks really want to see in relation to this isn't our tax id number, but rather that we are listed in the IRS publication of charitable organizations.  Don't recall the number.

lordmonar

I just went to the IRS site....and CAP is listed there and it is listed by our EIN.

COWG and MIWG still have their onw EIN's listed as well as the CAP Foundation and the CAP Historical Foundation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sardak

Colorado's listing is the Colorado Civil Air Patrol Foundation, not the Colorado Wing. The Foundation is a wholly separate entitiy from the Wing.

Here is what turns up searching for "Civil Air Patrol" on the IRS.gov website:
38-3635700    Michigan Wing Civil Air Patrol Inc.      St. Johns      MI
38-3736823    Civil Air Patrol Foundations Inc.      Maxwell Afb    AL
52-2073208    Civil Air Patrol Historical Foundation Inc.  Leesburg    GA
75-6037853    Civil Air Patrol                                      Maxwell Afb    AL
84-1363987    Colorado Civil Air Patrol Foundation      Centennial    CO

The publication is Pub 78 and the online search tool is at: http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Exempt-Organizations-Select-Check

Mike