Did you know this tranponder code?

Started by c172drv, February 25, 2012, 02:46:08 PM

c172drv

Reading my Propwash email I ran across this article.  There are 2 interesting things for us, first being a new code for gliders and a previously unknown code for me for SAR aircraft under the direction of USAF and USCG.  I'm curious if anyone knew of this and uses it.

QuoteFAA Responds To NTSB Recommendation To Avoid Mid-Airs

Many aircraft radar transponders have a button which immediately sets the squawk code to 1200, the standard code for VFR traffic not in communication with air traffic control. But the FAA believes it's important for other traffic to know whether your blip is a powered aircraft, so the code 1202 has now been designated the standard for gliders (representative aircraft shown in file photo), effective March 7.

The unique code joins others which are designated for special purposes. 1255 indicates an aircraft en route to or from a designated firefighting area. 1277 indicates an aircraft on a search-and-rescue mission under authorization from the US Coast Guard or US Air Force.

One impetus for the new designation is an NTSB recommendation following the 2006 collision between a Hawker jet and a glider near the Reno/Tahoe International Airport. Following nine deaths in mid-air collisions between gliders and powered aircraft over a 20-year period, the NTSB chastised the FAA in 2008 for failing to make transponders compulsory.

Elizabeth Ray, the FAA Air Traffic Organization VP of Mission Support Services, explains why it's important for other traffic to know you're a glider. In her notice of the change she observes, "Gliders operate under some flight and maneuvering limitations. They may go from essentially stationary targets while climbing and thermaling to moving targets very quickly. They can be expected to make radical changes in flight direction to find lift and cannot hold altitude in a response to an ATC request. Gliders may congregate together for short periods of time to climb together in thermals and may cruise together in loose formations while traveling between thermals."

It's not clear how many gliders have transponders installed. Even modern, solid-state transponders in the 200-watt class draw on the order of two amps at 12 VDC. Gliders generally rely on small, rechargeable batteries or solar generation to run avionics chosen for low current drain.

FMI: www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N7110.577.pdf

I should also give credit to the website/newsletter which is Aero-News net.
John Jester
VAWG

coudano

Gliders are also sometimes pretty hard to spot in the sky, particularly head on, because of their small profile.

And i'm pretty sure no glider i've ever flown in has had a transponder on board.
They also typically do not monitor FAA frequencies, and usually the only radio on board is a handheld.  you might find a glider on unicom (you  might find a glider with no radio at all)

PHall

There has been an effort to try to get sailplane owners to install "radar reflectors" in their aircraft using spray adheisive and aluminium foil on the inside of the fuselage. A 1 foot x 4 foot piece of foil on each side would provide a good radar return and weigh less then an once. But very few owners have done this. >:(
And they wonder why they get "run over" by other aircraft... ::)

Huey Driver

Nope, never heard of the 1277. Is that in the Mission Pilot training?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

sardak

That effort to install foil has being going on for awhile. I found this today while researching something unrelated. It's from the 1964 edition of "Astronautics and Aeronautics - A Chronology, " an annual publication of NASA.
------------
It was reported that the Marconi Co., Ltd., in England, was attempting to perfect a safety aid that would make gliders more visible to radar to help avoid air-to-air crashes with aircraft. Carefully calculated patterns of thin foil, detectable by different radar wavelengths, were being mounted in and on a test glider flown by the London Gliding Club. (source New York Times, 12/26/64)
-------------

Mike

Al Sayre

Quote from: c172drv on February 25, 2012, 02:46:08 PM
Reading my Propwash email I ran across this article.  There are 2 interesting things for us, first being a new code for gliders and a previously unknown code for me for SAR aircraft under the direction of USAF and USCG.  I'm curious if anyone knew of this and uses it.

QuoteFAA Responds To NTSB Recommendation To Avoid Mid-Airs

Many aircraft radar transponders have a button which immediately sets the squawk code to 1200, the standard code for VFR traffic not in communication with air traffic control. But the FAA believes it's important for other traffic to know whether your blip is a powered aircraft, so the code 1202 has now been designated the standard for gliders (representative aircraft shown in file photo), effective March 7.

The unique code joins others which are designated for special purposes. 1255 indicates an aircraft en route to or from a designated firefighting area. 1277 indicates an aircraft on a search-and-rescue mission under authorization from the US Coast Guard or US Air Force.

One impetus for the new designation is an NTSB recommendation following the 2006 collision between a Hawker jet and a glider near the Reno/Tahoe International Airport. Following nine deaths in mid-air collisions between gliders and powered aircraft over a 20-year period, the NTSB chastised the FAA in 2008 for failing to make transponders compulsory.

Elizabeth Ray, the FAA Air Traffic Organization VP of Mission Support Services, explains why it's important for other traffic to know you're a glider. In her notice of the change she observes, "Gliders operate under some flight and maneuvering limitations. They may go from essentially stationary targets while climbing and thermaling to moving targets very quickly. They can be expected to make radical changes in flight direction to find lift and cannot hold altitude in a response to an ATC request. Gliders may congregate together for short periods of time to climb together in thermals and may cruise together in loose formations while traveling between thermals."

It's not clear how many gliders have transponders installed. Even modern, solid-state transponders in the 200-watt class draw on the order of two amps at 12 VDC. Gliders generally rely on small, rechargeable batteries or solar generation to run avionics chosen for low current drain.

FMI: www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N7110.577.pdf

I should also give credit to the website/newsletter which is Aero-News net.

Wonder how Approach Control is going to react when we launch 7 or 8 aircraft from a single Mission Base all requesting the 1277 transponder code...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

coudano

The same way they react when we launch 7 or 8 on 1200?

set whatever approach (or tower for that matter) tells you to until you're off the departure and then switch?

seems to me like a lot of time when we are in grid we are below coverage anyway?
my crew typically gets following to/from the grid, and we'll use whatever they assign for that purpose, and then switch when we terminate and descend.

RiverAux

I've never heard of a SAR transponder code, but I seem to recall learning about some standard radio call sign for SAR aircraft (I don't recall what it was as I never saw it used).  I wonder if there are any procedures for using that transponder code or if you just plug it in yourself whenever you otherwise might be using 1200. 

bosshawk

Ask your local FAA office: you should have a response in a year or two.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Quote from: RiverAux on February 26, 2012, 03:14:33 PM
but I seem to recall learning about some standard radio call sign for SAR aircraft (I don't recall what it was as I never saw it used). 
as I think about it we were told that we were supposed to call ourselves "Rescue" and then the tail number

AirDX

It used to be in the AIM; it was taken out at some point, and I don't know why.  It's still in the 7110.65, Chapter 5:

2. VFR aircraft which fly authorized SAR missions for the USAF or USCG may be advised to squawk 1277 in lieu of 1200 while en route to/from or within the designated search area.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/atc/atc0502.html

Controllers know what it means; plug it in when you're on an active SAR mission, unless you are receiving ATC services and they have you on a discreet code.   
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Spaceman3750

Do we still use the "Rescue" tag (i.e. "CAP 1183 Rescue") when doing actual SAR? I know it was authorized when I was a cadet but am unsure now.

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 26, 2012, 11:36:05 PM
Do we still use the "Rescue" tag (i.e. "CAP 1183 Rescue") when doing actual SAR? I know it was authorized when I was a cadet but am unsure now.
I believe so, but never on training missions...only actual...

In fact, here's the actual guidance from http://capmembers.com

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/Rescue_Call_Sign_03D8E8ADB8C3A.pdf

DH

Looking at the responses, I think a word of caution is advised.  Generally, except for the "distressed" codes, about the only code you should punch in without direction is 1200.  I strongly advise against anyone entering 1277 on their own without ATC direction.  We really don't need ill will between ATC (FAA) and CAP.  The code is not new, and it is something that controllers "may" assign.  It really is a form of courtesy on the part of the controller to use for expedited routing and following.  If on an actual SAR, not DR, but actual SAR, it may be beneficial to ask if 1277 is available. As far as "Rescue", again it is intended for actual SAR only and the correct use as I understand it would be something like, "XYZ departure this is RESCUE CAP XXYY departing XYZ enroute to SAR search area. Is 1277 available? Rescue and discrete codes should be used when an actual known threat to life exist and you need the fastest approach to an area.  In my humble opinion of course.

RRLE

I am  surprised that some think the transponder code is new. USCG AuxAir has used it for years. See the bottom of pdf page 184 in Auxiliary Aviation Training Manual. As someone noted, you don't punch in the code without ATC permission.

JeffDG

There was some talk last spring about a specific CAP/USAF requested replacement for 1200 to be used on any AFAMs (A/B), but that got rolled back shortly after I heard about it at a training session at NHQ.  It's still out there, but only to be used at the request of 1st AF rather than as a general replacement.

Flying Pig

I fly SAR quite a bit.  Although not USAF directed, Ive never seen a reason to need a special squawk nor have I needed to use the term "Rescue".  During the times Ive used "Rescue" during CAP missions, I noticed that ATC didnt use it when they called me back.  I asked about it and was told it wasnt necessary, that the CAPFlight call sign was good enough.

RiverAux

I think both the transponder code and call signs fall in the category of "use it or get rid of it".  If the FAA saw it necessary to create these codes, I imagine that their official stance is that they should be used when appropriate whether we think it important or not.  Now, if they don't want us to use them, they should get rid of them. 

Ed Bos

CAP isn't the only agency that would use these. I've used them in Alaska, outside of CAP missions.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

JeffDG

One special procedure that everyone needs to know about is in the Washington DC area.

While on V376 heading north from the IRONS interchange, as you approach the DCA 13nm DME, flip your transponder to 7500 and begin a rapid descent at full throttle.  This will guarantee you a very warm reception into the DC area.

For the love of God, don't do this!  >:D

a2capt

Quote from: JeffDG on February 27, 2012, 10:34:41 PM...and begin a rapid descent at full throttle.
eh??
QuoteThis will guarantee you a very warm reception into the DC area.
Oh yeah..
QuoteFor the love of God, don't do this!  >:D
Now he tells me..

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on February 27, 2012, 10:34:41 PM
One special procedure that everyone needs to know about is in the Washington DC area.

While on V376 heading north from the IRONS interchange, as you approach the DCA 13nm DME, flip your transponder to 7500 and begin a rapid descent at full throttle.  This will guarantee you a very warm reception into the DC area.

Not even funny..... >:(

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on February 28, 2012, 12:53:43 AM

OK, OK...I was going to mention that the "very warm reception" included a tropical vacation of indefinite length if you managed to survive.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on February 28, 2012, 01:27:27 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 28, 2012, 12:53:43 AM

OK, OK...I was going to mention that the "very warm reception" included a tropical vacation of indefinite length if you managed to survive.

The security at the resort is even good, which is nice given the neighborhood >:D.

MSG Mac

It's been 40 years since I was there. Still don't miss the Gitmo Palms.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 28, 2012, 01:55:48 AM
It's been 40 years since I was there. Still don't miss the Gitmo Palms.

Gitmo is actually fairly nice these days. No worse then many other Navy overseas shore installations like for example, NAS Sigonella.

SarDragon

Oh, but Sunny Sig has better liberty.   >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret