Main Menu

New to Tucson, Az area

Started by spaatzmom, August 14, 2011, 02:21:13 AM

spaatzmom

Hi all,

Just an update.  Tim Medeiros is now on his first base Davis-Monthan.  What are some tips you can give him about the base and or the greater Tucson area.  He does have a car, so when he has time off he can explore a bit.  Anyone who wants his address, please pm me and I will be happy to give it out. 

Thanks for all the previous help.

gordo07

First get a Sonoran Hot Dog at either guedo canelos or BK (not burger king).  To escape the humid nasty heat that we have right now with monsoons, take a drive up mount Lemmon. The Air and Space museum is pretty neat, and not to far away is the Titan missle museum. There is also the desert museum which houses many animals native to the area, its really more of a zoo than a museum.  Also get an Eegees.

Smithsonia

Too many great Mexican restaurants. Try'em all. Too many Sunbird tourist joints - stay away from them all. Keep your car in top condition nearly everything boils over eventually. Spend time around the U of Arizona - Great University despite the fact they allowed me to attend once upon a time. Best looking girls on the planet. Go to Kitt Peak, don't go to Phoenix. Get into Mexican culture. Enjoy the best winter weather in the Continental US. Tour the bone yard. Go to the Sonoran Desert Museum. Stay hydrated. Wear sunblock. Go to Oak Creek Canyon. Tube the Gilla River. Stay close to the pool in summer. Make friends and be influenced by the friendly people.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Short Field

Quote from: Smithsonia on August 16, 2011, 03:08:28 PM
Tube the Gila River.
Do the big trip.  Get in at the base of Coolidge Dam on the San Carlos Indian Reservation and get out at the diversion dam outside of Florence.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

zonaman

DMAFB will have information on just about anything. It should be in the 355th MSG building across (east) the road from the "new"gym.

As far as Tucson . . . hiking, biking, 4x4ing, eating, and drinking (especially around the U), are what the majority of people do here. Of course there theaters, museum's, and the Rodeo every spring.

As far as restaurants try Lindy's on 4th. www.lo4th.comthe restaurant that was on Man vs Food www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_V_Food/Episode_Tucson. . and I may be partial to it, because its my brothers restaurant. It is good food and a lot of AF come in to eat or try to do the burger challenge. >:D

Also check out "2nd Saturdays Downtown"www.2ndsaturdaysdowntown.com, or La Encantadawww.laencantadashoppingcenter.com it is really fun on weekend nights, but it is $$.
Want to go out but on a budget? - check out the university www.maingatesquare.comarea or 4th avewww.fourthavenue.org.

Last but not least check out CAP squad TCS105tcs105azcap.webs.com. We meet in the multi service building on the south end of the dorms on DMAFB. (2nd floor)

gordo07

Quote from: Short Field on August 16, 2011, 08:13:41 PM
Quote from: Smithsonia on August 16, 2011, 03:08:28 PM
Tube the Gila River.
Do the big trip.  Get in at the base of Coolidge Dam on the San Carlos Indian Reservation and get out at the diversion dam outside of Florence.

The coolidge dam is pretty neat, but be careful on time of year and how the river is flowing, it's a big water source for the central az project, usually dries up at florence.

And if you want to fly, 104 has the bird, but we all happily play together, and work with eachother.

zonaman

^^
no . . 105 is better . . . I'm just kidding.
(althoe I am partial to my Squadron - who can blame me?)

There are 5 CAP Squadrons in the Tucson Metro. 104, 105, 109, 229, and 803.
104 is at Tucson International Airport. - senior, flying squadron. 
105 in on Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.
109 meets in NW Tucson (Marana).
229 is a brand new squadron and meets in NE Tucson (Tanque Verde).
803 is a School Squadron at Doolen Middle School.

Tim Medeiros

Thanks for the info, I'll likely be making a tour of the local units to see which fits me better.  As for the unit on base, have a building number?  I think I may have seen it when my sponsor was showing me around however I just want to confirm.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

PHall

Tim, there's this thing called the "Internet", Al Gore invented it BTW. You can probaly find the meeting time and location on there pretty easily.

Or not...

a2capt

Heck, my track record with visiting units based on information found on the internet is probably 15:1.
You can guess which side the 1 is on. I'm not kidding.

I suppose a good indicator is when you can't find a "real" site for the unit, and you are going solely off of the unit locator. Which really should be called the unit dis-locator. Which is more where my statistic there comes from.