moving to first base from tech school

Started by spaatzmom, July 09, 2011, 09:43:36 PM

spaatzmom

I would like some help/ tips on the best companies to use for moving my son to his first base in Arizona.  He will be coming home to Florida to pack up his room the end of this month.  What car/truck rental companies offer military discounts and have reliable products?  He will be sharing the driving with a friend who is just going for the trip.  Any guidance from those who have done this in the past would be greatly appreciated.

jimmydeanno

Does he qualify for a TMO move, or is he just choose to do a DIY move?  He should be authorizes to have the AF ship his stuff once per PCS.  My wife and I let the AF ship our stuff when she graduated from tech school at Keesler.  It was much easier, and he'll still get some of the pay perks, etc.

If he's able to, he REALLY should stop by TMO and see what his options are.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

spaatzmom

Thank you.

I am not really sure but I think he is doing the DIY.  In the past I remember him saying something about the AF shipping the stuff, but not sure if he was able to go that route for sure.

abdsp51

He is eligible for it he just has to stop by the tmo office.  Now this could be eithere there at the training base or at his first duty assignment.  I would not recommend him taking alot since a good chunk will be provided in his dorm room.  He should also have a sponsor to help walk him through alot of the transition.

spaatzmom

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 09, 2011, 10:52:06 PM
He is eligible for it he just has to stop by the tmo office.  Now this could be eithere there at the training base or at his first duty assignment.  I would not recommend him taking alot since a good chunk will be provided in his dorm room.  He should also have a sponsor to help walk him through alot of the transition.

Finally got a bit more info from him.  There is at least a 3 week wait if then available for the AF to move his stuff and that can be even longer, so he opted for diy.  Now just have to find rentals with military discounts that will not kill us in cost and potential breakdowns.

He has been trying to contact his sponsor for a few weeks now, with no response at all.  The tmo office is aware of the issue he and another airman are having with this problem. 

I expect his dorm room will be about the same size and furnishings as he has now at Keesler. 

jimmydeanno

For a DIY move, he'll still get compensated for the move.  They'll pay him for mileage, weight, and possibly "Dislocation Allowance."  He should also get a per diem for each day of his move.

U-Haul has always treated me well on the past.  I know it seems expensive for the cross country options, but he certainly shouldn't come out in debt from the move in the end.  When my wife and I moved to keesler, we towed a U-Haul trailer behind our car.  We had it for 5 days and it was only a few hundred dollars.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

IIRC...they pay by weight....and milage.  DIY (or DITTY moves) you are given a percentage of what the government would pay for a full TMO move.

Where you run the risk is....if you over estimate the weight and spend the money they give you up front.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

What base is he going to and what is his AFSC?  And depending on the installation will determine the size of his room though they are generally the same AF wide however they did do major renovations and construction at Keesler after Katrina.  And I could be wrong but I don't believe that Dislocation allowance is authorized for the initial move. 

coudano

He shouldn't have THAT much stuff...
The luggage he took to Lackland (one bag, right?)

Plus the green duffel full of issue that he got AT lackland.

Plus anything he acquired while at Keesler (maybe some civvie clothes? cdc books, and a game system?)
he was only there a couple months, sharing a dorm with a roommate, and not in full privilege that whole time...

At least some of that junk can just go in the dumpster, that's whatll happen to it anyway...

How long is his leave in route?
even with the delay, TMO may still be "fine"
Even with the delay, he only really needs a set of blues and 2 sets of ABU's to travel and report for duty,
all that can go in a single hang bag, let the rest of the junk sit in a box in shipping (who cares?)

TMO (upstairs levitow) should be giving him mandatory briefings on all his options
downstairs in shipping, they'll just open a cardboard box, into which he chucks all his stuff,
closes it up and it shows up at his base.
forgetaboutit.

I guess I thought he was in the guard or reserves, I guess I remembered that wrong...

The non-contact with the sponsor at first base is not that a-typical.
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

jimmydeanno

Yeah, showing up to his first base without getting a hold of his sponsor isn't that big of a deal.  If he gets to his base after normal duty hours, he'll just check into base lodging.  Then first thing in the morning, he'll get direction to his squadron's building and go to the orderly room, where he'll present his orders.

He'll probably meet one of the NCOs, or the Squadron First Sergeant who will tell him that the first thing he needs to do is go to the MPF (Military Personnel Flight) and start his in-processing and come back when he's done.

coudano:  He is probably looking to ship his stuff from his home of record at this point.  I'm sure his mother has plans for the room his junk is occupying now  >:D

spaatzmom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 10, 2011, 01:04:43 AM
Yeah, showing up to his first base without getting a hold of his sponsor isn't that big of a deal.  If he gets to his base after normal duty hours, he'll just check into base lodging.  Then first thing in the morning, he'll get direction to his squadron's building and go to the orderly room, where he'll present his orders.

He'll probably meet one of the NCOs, or the Squadron First Sergeant who will tell him that the first thing he needs to do is go to the MPF (Military Personnel Flight) and start his in-processing and come back when he's done.

coudano:  He is probably looking to ship his stuff from his home of record at this point.  I'm sure his mother has plans for the room his junk is occupying now  >:D

Thanks everyone.  No I really have no plans for the room other than to insulate the ceiling.  Will use as a guest room.

spaatzmom

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 10, 2011, 12:39:07 AM
What base is he going to and what is his AFSC?  And depending on the installation will determine the size of his room though they are generally the same AF wide however they did do major renovations and construction at Keesler after Katrina.  And I could be wrong but I don't believe that Dislocation allowance is authorized for the initial move.

Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson Az       Cyber Systems Operations

abdsp51

I would recommend he pack what he needs and speak with the folks at TMO there at DM for a shipment they may be able to expedite the process for a TMO shipment.  Keesler is a large base and have a consolidated work schedule, and probably exceptionally busy.  If need be have his sup and his shirt engage with them as well.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 10, 2011, 05:03:32 AM
I would recommend he pack what he needs and speak with the folks at TMO there at DM for a shipment they may be able to expedite the process for a TMO shipment.  Keesler is a large base and have a consolidated work schedule, and probably exceptionally busy.  If need be have his sup and his shirt engage with them as well.

It's not like a pipeline student is going to have a bunch of stuff to move anyway.
And he would be well advised to put off moving anything from home until he knows what his living arrangements are going to be.

BillB

Tell Tim to send us a stored C-47 aircraft from Davis-Monthan AFB to put at the entrance to Gainesville Regional Airport. LOL Actually the State Road Department is putting in a new road as an entrance so the Airport Authority was even thinking of getting a display aircraft by the road.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyboy53

Why wasn't that done at the point of departure. Is this a delay-in-route leave between tech school and the first base? As such, TMO isn't ususally an option unless you have a family and household goods....at least that was my experience.

spaatzmom

Quote from: flyboy1 on July 10, 2011, 04:30:36 PM

Why wasn't that done at the point of departure. Is this a delay-in-route leave between tech school and the first base? As such, TMO isn't ususally an option unless you have a family and household goods....at least that was my experience.

There is roughly a month between tech school graduation and reporting date for D-M.  During that time he arranged to work in the local recruiting office so as not to use up all accrued leave time.  Given the distance in miles between us and that I work 3rd shift when he is in school during the day, we miss talking much with each other.  That and his dorm has very poor internet service.

flyboy53

Then this is what I recommend..from an Air Force perspective. Certainly he can pack up his room but I would recommend that he only take a few important things first and then add as necessary.

He has no idea what the barracks/dormitory will be like or whether he has a roommate who just lost someone due to seperation or not. He has no idea if he is one of two new airmen in the same room, either. At his rank there will still be a lot of room inspections and things like bay orderly, so it isn't wise to take a lot of stuff where you can get gigged just for having a lot of clutter in your room.

My delay in route leave occurred between being injured in combat training and then reporting to a new base for retraining. After I was retrained I went directly overseas for two years. I didn't get a car of my own until after the overseas tour, which meant that I was given 30 days leave on return to CONUS where I flew home to pick up a car before reporting to my new base.

I also didn't build up a lot of stuff because of the weight limit allowances I had at my rank. Your son is in the same situation.

abdsp51

Going to a CONUS installation the norm is one person to a room and shared bathroom.  Here at Travis they are looking at a quad concept but generally the only time you will see roommates is if you are overseas location or deployed.  Have him speak to TMO there at DM and find out what his allowance is and let you know what he wants to keep and or bring out with him. 

Tim Medeiros

Now that I finally have a steady connection (at least for the next 5 minutes) here is more info.

I chose the DITY move based on the situation (likely having a car again by then, so planning on driving to DM which to me made sense to bring my stuff with me and not wait on someone else's schedule).

The stuff I'm bringing from home is more appropriate clothing for the climate (doubt I'll need the jeans I brought with me to BMT in the AZ heat) and some of my computer equipment, along with a few personal items and my CAP uniforms.

I'll be going to the 755th Operations Support Squadron, my AFSC is 3D032, I am currently lacking a sponsor however that should be resolved shortly.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

flyboy53

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 11, 2011, 04:18:48 AM
Now that I finally have a steady connection (at least for the next 5 minutes) here is more info.

I chose the DITY move based on the situation (likely having a car again by then, so planning on driving to DM which to me made sense to bring my stuff with me and not wait on someone else's schedule).

The stuff I'm bringing from home is more appropriate clothing for the climate (doubt I'll need the jeans I brought with me to BMT in the AZ heat) and some of my computer equipment, along with a few personal items and my CAP uniforms.

I'll be going to the 755th Operations Support Squadron, my AFSC is 3D032, I am currently lacking a sponsor however that should be resolved shortly.

You get to earn that really cool looking badge. Good Luck, you're in an interesting trend-setting career field.

I would check with the TMO people at your new base regarding your plans and any reimbursements/payments. I also would check to make sure you won't be doing a lot of TDYs anytime in the near future, so that you may want to find alternate ways of securing your PC.

I have some other advice for you, take it or leave it. At you current CAP rank, don't be surprised if your commander/first shirt or supervisor require you to not wear a CAP uniform during your tenure. Notice that I said not wear the uniform...I'm sure, however, that they will strongly encourage you to participate. I was a junior airman/CAP 1st Lt. while serving at Elmendorf AFB back in the late 1970s when I remember the squadron commander (an AF Staff Sergeant) getting reprimanded when he grabbed the wrong uniform shirt during a recall and reporting to his duty section as a CAP officer. My division chief (a major) is the one who specified the non-CAP uniform issue then because I was assigned to a wing-level duty section that also had command-level responsibilities.

Years later, I was an active duty master sergeant assigned to Westover AFB and it was my commander (a brigadier general) who ordered me to not wear a CAP uniform because he didn't want me confused with other officers on base. He, too, didn't stop my participation, however, only strongly encouraging it.

You will need to strive for several goals at the same time during this tour to effect any future promotions, goals or plans. Those include maintaining a high degree of effectiveness and professionalism to gain good ratings on performance reports. You should jump at those opportunities like airman of the month, etc., and I recommend setting a personal goal that you achieve at least an Achievement Medal during the course of this tour. Each one is another point (or more) for promotion testing.

Don't forget that if you continue with CAP, you need to keep track of your time and accomplishments, and seek your supervisor's help to be put in for the Outstanding Volunteer Services Medal...another gold star for your performance reports.

coudano

Just wear the golf shirt combo and you're good to go.
:)

spaatzmom

Thank you all again for all the advice and support in the past few months.  Tech school has now ended for Tim.  He did very well; distinguished graduate, 2nd in his class, and yellow rope in the airman leadership course.

He finally has a sponsor at D-M Az and has talked with them.  The car issue seems to be resolved and now on to packing some clothes and small belongings before starting out on his own.  I want to thank all those in CAP who have helped in mentoring Tim along the way.  He is turning out to be the man any of you would want your daughter's to date and I could not have trained him without your assistance.

Thank you again.

sarmed1

DM Rocks!!!!.....
Depending on where your starting you day from, its a doable drive in 2 hard days of drive time (12 hours each.....FWB to San Antonio, SA to Tucson...I10 all the way)

Tucson is a very CAP rich environment.  When I was there there were 3 squadrons ( I think there is a 4th now) 105, the on base squadron, , a senior squadron at the airport and a 3rd on the north end (also composite squadron,  that enjoys a good working relationship with the county SAR council).  APJOC is held there, Wing encampment has been held there.  They are (or at least have been) a major player in the base airshow

The base squadron has always enjoyed a very good relationship with the base wing and other tnenat units.  I never had any problems with any of the squadrons regarding enlisted personnel wearing CAP uniforms when participating in CAP activities (showing some common sense here is important, dont wear it to your work place, dont strut around the base or run errands when in CAP uniform.....dont try to come up with a CAP uniform combo that may be confused with an AF uniform....ie flight suit)  In fact I actually had a AD LTC counsel me that even though I was only an E-4, because I was a CAP Captain and the CC, that there was a certain level of expectation of performance/appearance. ie you look like a Captain, you should act like and sound like one when dealing with other officers...its what they expect when they see the railroad tracks on your collar or in your siganture line (he even told me I should make an apperance at the O-club during certain Wing type events as a CAP person as would only be proper of any other on base squadron or tenant unit commander)

mk

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel