Main Menu

CAP-CGAUX MOU Dead?

Started by Turk, March 23, 2011, 08:48:11 PM

Turk

I have heard that the MOU between CAP and the Coast Guard Auxiliary is no longer in force. Either it lapsed without renewal, or it was unilaterally terminated by one of the signatories. 

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened here? The nation's interests would be better served if the two organizations worked together

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

RiverAux

It expired quite a long time ago.  Not really sure how practical or useful part of it was anyway -- exchanging aircrew members between the two organizations. 

And since CG Aux doesn't really operate independently, it wasn't necessary for operational needs anyway.  If CG Aux is out there and need air support they'll ask CG and they will find the assets.  If CAP needs someone on the water, we'd be calling the CG. 

CG Aux isn't anywhere near as independent as CAP and pretty much anything they do will run through the CG anyway. 

So, if we were to have an MOU, it would probably be with the CG rather than CG Aux.

Turk

Good points. CAP-Aux crew exchanges were a solution to a problem that didn't exist.  Operationally, USAF and USCG have well-established channels. And if CAP (or any other entity) needs USCG local help, one call to USCG station or Sector will do it - the USCG will then dispatch regular and/or Aux assets as required. Their "Gold Side/Silver Side" integration is pretty seamless.   

Quote from: RiverAux on March 23, 2011, 09:03:52 PM
It expired quite a long time ago.  Not really sure how practical or useful part of it was anyway -- exchanging aircrew members between the two organizations. 

And since CG Aux doesn't really operate independently, it wasn't necessary for operational needs anyway.  If CG Aux is out there and need air support they'll ask CG and they will find the assets.  If CAP needs someone on the water, we'd be calling the CG. 

CG Aux isn't anywhere near as independent as CAP and pretty much anything they do will run through the CG anyway. 

So, if we were to have an MOU, it would probably be with the CG rather than CG Aux.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

RiverAux

Don't get me wrong, I think there are some opportunities for joint CAP-CG Aux training at the local level -- just no need for a national MOU to do it. 

There may also be some opportunities for CAP and CG Aux units to share quarters.  Both have similar needs for training space and only tend to use a building a couple of days a week. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Turk on March 23, 2011, 08:48:11 PM

I have heard that the MOU between CAP and the Coast Guard Auxiliary is no longer in force. Either it lapsed without renewal, or it was unilaterally terminated by one of the signatories. 

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened here? The nation's interests would be better served if the two organizations worked together.
Actually the USCG Aux has installed some radio repeaters (especially in the northeast) that would do a nice job of filling in some dead spots in our seacoast areas.  Hopefully we will be able to use their system.
RM

Major Carrales

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2011, 03:51:01 AM

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened here? The nation's interests would be better served if the two organizations worked together.
Actually the USCG Aux has installed some radio repeaters (especially in the northeast) that would do a nice job of filling in some dead spots in our seacoast areas.  Hopefully we will be able to use their system.
RM

These would be the sorts of thing an MOU would best provide.  While I was commander of the Composite Squadron in Corpus Christi, I was very open to the idea of the Auxies being given access to our facility at the airport if they needed it for some activity (even if it was just for classroom use).  The time never arose for that to every happen while I was in command, but the quasi-policy was in place.  We need not be "enemies" or "rivals" with such brother and sister aviators...contrary to what sometimes happens as the result of past misunderstandings...or present ones.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 24, 2011, 04:09:44 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2011, 03:51:01 AM

RM

These would be the sorts of thing an MOU would best provide.  While I was commander of the Composite Squadron in Corpus Christi, I was very open to the idea of the Auxies being given access to our facility at the airport if they needed it for some activity (even if it was just for classroom use).  The time never arose for that to every happen while I was in command, but the quasi-policy was in place.  We need not be "enemies" or "rivals" with such brother and sister aviators...contrary to what sometimes happens as the result of past misunderstandings...or present ones.
I planned an exercise as the wing project officer for an inland SAREX on a major Northeast river and we learned alot from one another on joint operations.  We also did an almost complete aerial recon/pictures of their patrol area that they could use for training their personnel.  It was a lot of fun and they were a great bunch of people to work with.   The cadet ground/UDF teams actually were on the USCG Aux boats and learned things from them also.

(Ya see folks as a side line I might have some strong opinions BUT I also produce some very good results for the squadron and wing on things that I enjoy doing).
RM   

Major Carrales

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2011, 10:02:54 PM
(Ya see folks as a side line I might have some strong opinions BUT I also produce some very good results for the squadron and wing on things that I enjoy doing).
RM

Of that...I am certain.  We all have opinions...sometimes (a lot of times here) people begin to forget that the true focus is the MISSION.  Getting it accomplished.  We lose sight of that when we let our inner most thoughts on governance and policy leave the constructs of academic/hypothetical discussion and into the realm of affecting/effecting reality.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454