Main Menu

NOTF Shifts to Neutral

Started by Turk, August 26, 2010, 05:53:56 PM

Turk

For months, we have witnessed a pitched Battle of the Blogs between Skip Munger's NOTF, and Ray Hayden's CAP Insights.  The battle has had strongly partisan overtones as well, with Ray regarding her with scornful derision, and Munger regarding her with worshipful awe.

And then...

In the past two weeks, NOTF has suddenly shifted to neutral. Even the Tilton reinstatement (NOTF had once loudly praised his removal) has been reported factually, and without comment. Equally astonishing, NOTF has run three guest editorials by... Ray Hayden! His NOTF editorials were all uncontroversial in content, but the fact that NOTF ran them at all is testimony to both a buried hatchet between them, as well as a sea change in views at NOTF.

CAP's future will not be decided in the blogs, but it's interesting to see these atmospherics on the eve of what promises to be a tumultous NB meeting.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

RiverAux

Saw a story in the paper saying that there is a big push to go after folks who redistribute copyrighted news articles without permission, so if anyone in the media notices NOTF, they'll be put out of business pretty quickly anyway. 

Kipper

Quote from: RiverAux on August 26, 2010, 06:52:00 PM
Saw a story in the paper saying that there is a big push to go after folks who redistribute copyrighted news articles without permission, so if anyone in the media notices NOTF, they'll be put out of business pretty quickly anyway.

Interesting point... I hadn't thought of the copyright angle.

It's also interesting that NOTF's shift to neutral coincides with their discovery of a "terminated" CAP member in a senior wing staff position out west.  If this is in fact the case, NOTF may be feeling a little chumped off.

lordmonar

I don't want to speak for Skip....but I don't think his inclusions of Mr. Hayden's Op/Eds are an indication of any fundamental change in NOTF's stance on Ray Hayden.

Skip for the most part has changed his stance on CAP in general (back in the day CAP could no right at all according to NOTF).

Inclusion of the Op/Eds does show that NOTF will be balanced and allow anyone who has a coherent message to send a place to send it with out editorial comment.

That is called journalistic professionalism.

As far as the re-postings of others work....well that is something I think the courts are still trying to work out.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Kipper

Quote from: lordmonar on August 26, 2010, 08:50:02 PM
Skip for the most part has changed his stance on CAP in general (back in the day CAP could no right at all according to NOTF).

Yeah - and back in July, NOTF thought that the CAP/CC could do no wrong.

Kipper

Turk, you spoke too soon!!!!

NOTF ran an article today slamming Tilton again (yawn) and attacked the MARB as corrupt.

Looks like they didn't like the verdict, huh???

G'bye, Skip Munger - you're a real disappointment.

Senior

If half of what Hayden  writes is correct then REALLY what is going on at National.  The National Commander getting a letter of reprimand, COME ON!!!!!!! :( >:(

Turk

Quote from: Kipper on August 26, 2010, 09:41:50 PM
Turk, you spoke too soon!!!!

NOTF ran an article today slamming Tilton again (yawn) and attacked the MARB as corrupt.

Looks like they didn't like the verdict, huh???

G'bye, Skip Munger - you're a real disappointment.

You're right, Kipper - I did speak too soon.  :(
Like you, I'm very disappointed with them.
I've had it with these dumb blogs (except CAPTalk, of course)  :D

a2capt

I was about to post .. "I wouldn't trust them... " It's just another ploy to suck in readers. ;-)

then again .. I doubt they are even that smart.

NCRblues

I do not normally read either of these pages that have been discussed here, but i got curious and went and read...

I didnt find it very interesting other than one line.

" CAP Col. Barry Scott Herrin, the CAP's national legal officer (NLO), sits on the MARB, he is also on the CAP's National Executive Committee (NEC)"

WOW, this may be just me, but, conflict of interest?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

lordmonar

Hence the reason to recluse himself.

One of the problems with CAP is that our governance system is a mish-mash of thrown together groups.

The BoG was formed by congress and they changed the consitution and bylaw with out changeing the NB in any substantial way.

The MARB was formed to stop abuses by the NB (and those who sit on it) but it was not well though through when it was implemented.

I suspect that this is going to be a hot topic at the next NB and I don't see it going away soon.

FW

Quote from: NCRblues on August 26, 2010, 10:21:13 PM
CAP Col. Barry Scott Herrin, the CAP's national legal officer (NLO), sits on the MARB, he is also on the CAP's National Executive Committee (NEC)"

WOW, this may be just me, but, conflict of interest?

The NLO is the chairman of the MARB.  The chair only votes in cases of a tie.  The reason he recused himself is because he was part of the NEC vote which made his participation in this case a conflict of interest.  CAPR 35-8 allows him to appoint a temporary chairman in such a case.  Col Ted Chavez was appointed as temporary chair for this case.  His credentials are impeccable.

Quote from: lordmonar on August 26, 2010, 11:00:36 PM

The MARB was formed to stop abuses by the NB (and those who sit on it) but it was not well though through when it was implemented.

I suspect that this is going to be a hot topic at the next NB and I don't see it going away soon.

The MARB was established by the BoG in 2001 and has evolved over the last 9 years into what we have today.  It's powers were enhanced in 2009 when the MARB was allowed to decide on any action it deemed important to CAP.  The Tilton case is the first such decision based on this.   

Col Tilton has been reinstated as an at large member of the Board of Governors and has been restored as Vice Chairman.   I would think, by these actions, the case IS closed.  However, I agree with Patrick; it's going to be a very hot topic for some time to come. 

ColonelJack

Maybe I've missed it being explicitly stated, but ... What about Ned Lee?  Is he now officially off of the BoG, since Col. Tilton was reinstated?  (Yes, I know it should be glaringly obvious, but humor me.)

I ask because I had applied for that slot as well, and I know how I would feel if I'd been appointed ... glad for Col. Tilton, who from all I have seen and heard is a very good man and a very good CAP officer, but I'd also somewhat ... perturbed ... at having been selected for the BoG seat and removed from it in such a short time.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ned

I think it is safe to say that the BoG is still working out all the details.

And I am not perturbed in any way.  (Great word, BTW.)

After over 40 years in this organization, I just go where I'm told and do what I am ordered to do.  I'll be at the NB waiving the CP flag, and if I look sad you are each authorized to buy me a Guinness.

My greatest disappointment may well be that I didn't have time to push through authorization for a special BoG uniform device - perhaps a plumed hat or a saber.

(Now let's see where this thread goes . . .)  8)

davidsinn

Quote from: Ned on August 27, 2010, 06:14:58 PM
perhaps a plumed hat or a saber.

Saber. Much cooler and more utilitarian although I prefer a Rapier myself. It's a more elegant weapon for a more civilized time...

I think the good Colonel just got caught up in a "right guy/wrong time" situation. I hope he gets another shot at it in the future.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Chappie

I think it is safe to say that the BoG is still working out all the details.

And I am not perturbed in any way.  (Great word, BTW.)

After over 40 years in this organization, I just go where I'm told and do what I am ordered to do.  I'll be at the NB waiving the CP flag, and if I look sad you are each authorized to buy me a Guinness.

My greatest disappointment may well be that I didn't have time to push through authorization for a special BoG uniform device - perhaps a plumed hat or a saber.

(Now let's see where this thread goes . . .)  8)

Ned -- looking forward to seeing you in Sandy Eggo.  You are a class act, a good friend and ...trying to come up with a good third description .... connoisseur of good beer :)   Will support you in the effort to get a special BoG uniform device if you will support me in getting approval for a special Region Chaplain uniform device  ;D  Seriously, appreciate you and your dedicated service to our cadets and this organization.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on August 27, 2010, 06:28:58 PM
perhaps a plumed hat or a saber.

Saber. Much cooler and more utilitarian although I prefer a Rapier myself. It's a more elegant weapon for a more civilized time...

I think the good Colonel just got caught up in a "right guy/wrong time" situation. I hope he gets another shot at it in the future.
Ha!  Rapiers are for sissies!  An five foot claymore gives you more reach, will cut through more read tape and has a higher DPS!

Plus it looks spiffy across the back!

Turk

Quote from: Senior on August 26, 2010, 09:50:23 PM
If half of what Hayden  writes is correct then REALLY what is going on at National.  The National Commander getting a letter of reprimand, COME ON!!!!!!! :( >:(

Pineda -> Courter = Nixon -> Ford? Or Nixon -> Putin?   ::)

You don't have to read Hayden or Munger to know that there's some strange things going on upstairs these days!!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Ha!  Rapiers are for sissies!  An five foot claymore gives you more reach, will cut through more read tape and has a higher DPS!

And the 1 foot version (olive drab, "This side towards enemy. Do not eat.") does even more damage to more opponents

lordmonar

Quote from: phirons on August 27, 2010, 10:21:32 PM

And the 1 foot version (olive drab, "This side towards enemy. Do not eat.") does even more damage to more opponents
Especially if you put them up in the trees where they are not looking for them!