Mission Base Staff Pack

Started by ande.boyer, July 08, 2008, 02:59:39 PM

ande.boyer

So everyone's very familiar with what a GTM should have packed ready to go in his or her trunk, but what about a mission base staffer?  What's the stuff that everyone should have (exluding the position specific stuff)?  Or is it all position specific?

Thoughts, suggestions?

mikeylikey

Tylenol, Excedrin, Vicodin for those really bad headaches...
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

Quote from: ande.boyer on July 08, 2008, 02:59:39 PM
So everyone's very familiar with what a GTM should have packed ready to go in his or her trunk, but what about a mission base staffer?  What's the stuff that everyone should have (exluding the position specific stuff)?  Or is it all position specific?

Thoughts, suggestions?

I would say office supplies (pencil, pen, et al), small files of CAP forms, cell phone, laptop with wi-fi ability (for mission staff asisstants, Planning Section, Finance and other Admin), field uniform (for inspection of the staging areas if necessary(for air and ground branch Directors), minimum basic service uniform (for dealing with the media, for Information Officers), basic small first aid kit and enough food/ water for the time expected of normal ICP deployment.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

isuhawkeye

I have several mission sta tricks on my web site. 

on the let side of the page you will see a "mission tools"  catagory.  if you scroll through those pages you will find a few nuggets to help you out.

I like the briefing forms, the wind chill index, and the parachute drift tables

IceNine

General office type products.
File folders, pens, notepads, highlighters, sharpies, lable maker, whiteboard w/markers, post-its, little stickey signature arrows, stamps (recieved, filed, etc)

A collection of various ICS, CAP, and local forms

Food... granola bars, water bottles, other quick snacks

Things like deodorant/ body spray are nice to have stress=sweat.

laptop with software is nice (IMU, ICS for utility, Search Manager, anything by Koss from KY, mapping program such as google earth pro or other GPS linkable utility, robogeo, others)

Digital camera

Various batteries, for misc items.

WX radio, and something you can see or at least hear the news on.

Take a look through the the guides, here http://tinyurl.com/5p246o

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Psicorp

Add:  VHF mobile with power supply and a magmount or better antenna and / or a VHF HT and ISRs if you have them.  Power strip.  Extension cord.  Charger for the cell phone and HT.  There are never enough electrical outlets at MB, it's a rule I think.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Fifinella

Mission Base Staff Task Guide, topographical map & aeronautical charts (GBD, AOBD)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RRLE

Take a look at the Orange County RACES Emergency Supplies List. That is meant for a radio operator so pare it down (or up) as necessary for other mission base positions.

Ranger75

I maintain a rolling backpack in my car with my mission base kit.  In addition to general office materials, I have a separate binder for each ICS position for which I'm qualified.  The binder contains a checklist specific to the position, in protective sheets are location signs identifying the staff section and other operational areas (ie., AOBD, Aircrew Briefing Area, Debriefing Officer, etc.) that I can tape to the wall.  The binders also hold a number of individual references similar to those suggested by Hawkeye.  Strapped to the side of the pack is a large diameter cardboard shipping tube.  This is where I carry rolled situation maps and wall charts.  Each is covered with acetate so that it can be cleaned up after the mission and made ready for the next.  Below is an extract from my AOBD binder, including a brief checklist for the mission kit:

PRE-DEPLOYMENT -- UPON ALERT NOTIFICATION

Mission Related – Coordination with Operations Section Chief (OSC)

o   Determine mission number, mission objective, and OSC's guidance for initial operations
o   Confirm initial operational locations
o   Determine initial requirement for:
o   Air Operations Branch staff manning
o   Aircrews
o   Aircraft
o   Mission planning aids
o   External agency resources

Personal

o   Obtain travel instructions including reporting location and time
o   Determine any special communications instructions (e.g., travel, radio channel)
o   Assess personal equipment readiness for the specific incident and conditions
o   Assemble items for travel and personal support (e.g., medication, money, personal computer, medications, etc.)
o   Ensure that a current CAP Identification Card and Specialty Qualification Card (CAPF 101 reflecting qualification as an Air Operations Branch Director) are carried on your person
o   Review completeness of your individual mission kit

CAPFs         Gridded situation map
ICS forms       Topo/Road Maps
Mission folders       Post-Its
AOB Checklists      Tape
Paper clips       Stapler
Mission status boards     AOB area signs
Pencils and pens                     Cell phone and charger   
Dry marker pens                   Push Pins      
Highlighters       Scissors
CAPRs (60-1,60-3, 60-4)          Computers
Extension cord                         Surge protector
Camera   

flyerthom

Add this too:

NIMS: Incident Command System Field Guide

Your ID's
a few bucks in cash
a Credit Card.
a cell phone charger
Grided sectionals
pocket sized note pad.
TC

Duke Dillio

And from all of the above lists, noone mentioned a coffee pot with coffee filters and coffee as well as money to hit up the local Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, or Winchell's on the way to mission base.  Shame on you guys.....    >:D

Psicorp

That's just because you can't run a mission base without coffee and donuts, and it should be part of the IC's gear   ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

arajca

The only things that are truely universal are:
General office supplies
Personal need supplies (medications, clothes, food, etc)
Personal technology equipment (laptop, power cords, etc)

Everything else is position dependent. As a CUL I'm not going to be bringing a bunch of CAPF 109's. As a FASC, I'm not packing a mile of power cords and power strips. A GBD isn't going to bring enough sign-in logs for the incident.

IceNine

^Valid point, But as we have said here before don't go to a mission packed for what you want to do.  Go to the mission packed for what you are qualified to do

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

capchiro

One item of immense importance is toilet paper.  It is amazing how much toilet paper a crowd can go through and how little is usually on hand at a small mission base in the boon docks on a weekend..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

arajca

Quote from: IceNine on July 09, 2008, 01:44:26 PM
^Valid point, But as we have said here before don't go to a mission packed for what you want to do.  Go to the mission packed for what you are qualified to do
I'm qual'd as a CUL. I'm not as a GBD. I'm not packing stuff for a GBD. Simple.

So, since an IC is qual'd in every mission base job, he should show up with a U-Haul truck to carry everything for every staff position, right?

IceNine

^Yep.  If they didn't already have a positive assignment.

And it would be double true if IC's were actually qualed in every specality.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4