F-15C Crash in VA

Started by A.Member, August 27, 2014, 06:47:45 PM

A.Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/27/military-jet-crashes-in-virginia/?intcmp=latestnews

Godspeed to the pilot and searchers.   Rescue crews were initially being kept back from the crash site due to risk of exposure to toxic fumes (a good reminder to SAR teams as to additional dangers). 

Read unconfirmed reports of witness seeing a parachute.  There has not been any additional reported communication from the pilot.  Anyone that's participated in a SAR event understands how challenges of searches in heavily wooded, hilly terrain.  Hoping the pilot was able to punch out and will be found safely.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MIKE

Story says the aircraft was from the 104th FW here in MA.  Back in my encampment daze the F-15C's was assigned to the 102nd FW at Otis ANGB and the 104th was flying Hogs out of Barnes.
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on August 27, 2014, 09:13:07 PM
Story says the aircraft was from the 104th FW here in MA.  Back in my encampment daze the F-15C's was assigned to the 102nd FW at Otis ANGB and the 104th was flying Hogs out of Barnes.

There have been some changes in the past couple of years...

Гугл переводчик

Knowing that this pilot has SERE training, I think he will be just fine  :)
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Devil Doc

I am actually on Call to Help in the Search or ground crews. I told them I dont care if I have work,  will call in sick. lol
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Devil Doc on August 28, 2014, 06:05:48 PM
I am actually on Call to Help in the Search or ground crews. I told them I dont care if I have work,  will call in sick. lol

And then your employer will find your name here, based on your signature and the open style of the forum.

a2capt

Pretty sure they're not gonna call up the volunteers when they've got equipment and people on standby for this exact kind of thing..

stillamarine

Actually the CAP Facebook page just posted saying MER was providing highbirds and ground resources.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

A.Member

Unfortunately, the pilot didn't make it out.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Brit_in_CAP

Sadly correct.  The pilot's death was confirmed late last night and was reported in our local media this morning (I live in the western part of Augusta County, VA).  The name of the pilot had not been released as of 0730 when I left home.

Devil Doc

I can call out of work, I Accural Leave every 2 Weeks. I can chose Annual Leave or Sick Leave. Unfortunately, I couldnt do the High Bird, and was going to do the Ground Team. Other squadrons went, and didnt tell me. Oh Well.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

ShotBaker

I'm sure most of you are aware that the pilot did not eject from the aircraft.

The search was quite impressive. A c130 provided imagery and sensor data, A-10s were on station, helicopters, FBI, Va State Police, Army/Air National Guard, CAP. Other SAR groups provided K-9, ATV and equine teams.

It was something to see.

You should be very proud of your CAP brothers and sisters, they performed superbly.