General ES Video

Started by ♠SARKID♠, July 11, 2013, 04:23:09 AM

♠SARKID♠

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen/made a video for their GES presentation? I've been mulling over the idea of creating a voiced-over slideshow of my GES powerpoint and wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating labor before I start.

I'd like to create a resource for my cadets, and anyone in CAP really, where they can watch the video on their own time rather than wait for an ES night or come in on a weekend to hear me talk for 45min.

Right now I split my training Saturdays into two blocks: 0900-1200 is my GES lecture, CAPT116, and MRO/MSA training for all the new folks that haven't touched ES.  1100-1500 the rest of the people that already have a start come in and we work on GT or UDF type stuff.  If they could get their GES lecture and CAPT116 taken care of at home, I'd be able to up the use of my training time significantly.

Thoughts?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

+1 and I feel like a lecture/video might make the material a little more accessible to the younger cadets so that they understand it instead of just copying the answers out of the slides.

As an aside, that's what prompted me to teach my own GES class. While the objectives of that program weren't met, at least from the perspective of getting them to actually pass the test, it was fun and we all certainly learned a lot. In the end, only one cadet even attempted the test. But, I still maintain that they got a lot more out of a lecture/interactive style.

UH60guy

You know that would be a great resource. Sounds like another cool thing out there- have you ever heard of The Khan Academy at http://www.khanacademy.org/ ? It started as a series of 5-10 minute topic-specific videos on YouTube, mostly on math and science, and has since grown to free study resources for hundreds of topics. The thought is that students could watch and study on their own time, thereby taking as much time at home as needed to learn the material through rewatching the tricky parts, and coming into class to have the teacher answer specific questions and be present for the exercises.

If you can keep it short, and don't mind it being distributed widely via YouTube, this might be an excellent opportunity to start something similar for CAP. Instead of a long GES presentation, maybe it could be broken down into short videos covering specific items on the task lists? It might help to index the training so people could find what they're looking for easier.

The challenging part though would be collecting, organizing, and providing links. By no means am I trying to sign you up for that, but just giving you food for thought.

Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Jaison009

Fantastic idea :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 11, 2013, 04:23:09 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen/made a video for their GES presentation? I've been mulling over the idea of creating a voiced-over slideshow of my GES powerpoint and wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating labor before I start.

I'd like to create a resource for my cadets, and anyone in CAP really, where they can watch the video on their own time rather than wait for an ES night or come in on a weekend to hear me talk for 45min.

Right now I split my training Saturdays into two blocks: 0900-1200 is my GES lecture, CAPT116, and MRO/MSA training for all the new folks that haven't touched ES.  1100-1500 the rest of the people that already have a start come in and we work on GT or UDF type stuff.  If they could get their GES lecture and CAPT116 taken care of at home, I'd be able to up the use of my training time significantly.

Thoughts?

jeders

I'm normally against using videos to teach pretty much anything, especially in a classroom; mostly due to the lack of interaction. However, a series of short (5-10 min.) videos that cover the basics so that organized class time can be more focused on details and advanced materials may actually be a good idea.

The only problem I see is that it's hard enough just getting people to do the basics online, now they need to go watch short lecture videos. Meaning that whoever is on camera must be entertaining and engaging, otherwise it will all be wasted effort. In other words, you don't want me teaching, ha. However, I do like the idea.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Walkman

Could you do this and then go back in time so I could have used it Tuesday night?  ;D

I really struggle with GES classes. Especially for younger cadets, its really hard to avoid "Death by PowerPoint", but I think it helps to have them even slightly familiar with some of the concepts before jumping into the regs and such on their own. I tried this week to at least keep my presentation style lively and engaging, but mid way through ICS, I could see the eyelids struggling to stay open.

A series of videos would be cool, breaking down each of the main sections. Then they'd also have something easy to digest when they want to review before the 116.

UH60guy

The series is nice too in that it breaks it into digestible chunks. No need to sit still for 45 minutes in a single session! Plus, for refresher training, it lets you focus on your weak areas. The downside of course being that you're relying on people do do their homework, though at least it'll reflect who is serious come test time.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

a2capt

I have not updated the material but I had done a whole 2 hour thing that included taking the test for GES and ICS 100 when it was part of our testing, and later just the GES part. But the manual has been revised.

I, too don't like videos for teaching outright, but do use them as example points, break up monotony, etc.

It worked because I have a lot of interaction as part of what I do, and if cadets are involved, a bag of candy to toss every once in a while for things like questions, answers, breaktime, etc. isn't a bad idea either.

.. or senior members that start acting like they want to be a cadet again.. :)

ol'fido

At my first staff meeting as a group commander back in February, we discussed starting a YouTube channel with training videos for ES tasks. I guess that would also apply to the GES test. So far we have not had time to work on anything towards accomplishing it.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

My biggest question is why does the 116 have NOTHING to do with general ES? CISM is great, but it doesn't have a thing to do with ES in my opinion; it's more of an intermediate to advanced course.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 11, 2013, 09:55:49 PM
My biggest question is why does the 116 have NOTHING to do with general ES? CISM is great, but it doesn't have a thing to do with ES in my opinion; it's more of an intermediate to advanced course.

You're thinking of the 117, and all it is, is a primer on when you need to go see a CISM person.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 11, 2013, 11:51:11 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 11, 2013, 09:55:49 PM

You're thinking of the 117, and all it is, is a primer on when you need to go see a CISM person.

durr. slipping in my old age.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

♠SARKID♠

I like the idea of shorter video chunks, but I think I'd break it into longer sections than 5-10min. One video for each chapter of 60-3, perhaps.

I usually don't have the problem of keeping the cadets entertained during the course. I do a pretty good job of keeping them laughing and they stay engaged. My cadets do their homework too. We have a very active ES program and do some pretty fun stuff that they're eager to get in on. It helps to have all the cool kids doing ES, too.

I think I'll start making some slides and looking for a decent microphone  :)

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Walkman on July 11, 2013, 03:17:31 PM
I really struggle with GES classes. Especially for younger cadets, its really hard to avoid "Death by PowerPoint", but I think it helps to have them even slightly familiar with some of the concepts before jumping into the regs and such on their own. I tried this week to at least keep my presentation style lively and engaging, but mid way through ICS, I could see the eyelids struggling to stay open.

I had the same problem when teaching BCUT/ACUT classes.  I solved that by buying a bag of Life Savers or Jolly Ranchers or similar small hard candy before each class.   Hand out Life Savers for correctly answered questions about the section you just finished and you'll see the participation and retention rates go up, while the snooze factor drops significantly.   :)

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on July 12, 2013, 04:13:19 PM

I had the same problem when teaching BCUT/ACUT classes.  I solved that by buying a bag of Life Savers or Jolly Ranchers or similar small hard candy before each class.   Hand out Life Savers for correctly answered questions about the section you just finished and you'll see the participation and retention rates go up, while the snooze factor drops significantly.   :)

Throwing a whole roll of Lifesavers will definitely reduce the sleepers.   Makes for a more interesting meeting, too!

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2013, 04:26:06 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on July 12, 2013, 04:13:19 PM

Throwing a whole roll of Lifesavers will definitely reduce the sleepers.   Makes for a more interesting meeting, too!

My computer science teacher in high school would hand out tootsie rolls (if you were really really good, he didn't like sharing them) for correct answers and throw chalk board erasers if you weren't paying attention.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JoeTomasone

I did have a teacher in Jr. High who had an air horn for those who fell asleep..  No joke.

ProdigalJim

I went to Catholic school when there were still nuns. I have the yardstick scars on my knuckles to prove it...

I think the Khan Academy format is a great idea. Short topics would be smart...the Khan Academy videos manage to pack a lot of stuff into 10 minutes. Very cool thing to emulate. Maybe I'll try to do one as a "proof of concept."
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...