Russian Subs off the Coast...Time to resurrect the Sub Hunters?

Started by jpizzo127, August 05, 2009, 07:46:45 PM

jpizzo127

JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

heliodoc

YAAAAAAY  HOOOOORAY

Pilots would love it!!!!!!

NHQ and its legal types would be shying away just looking at the article!!

I'd like to see the see the faces at NHQ now that some folks would LUUUUV to reenact the old daze of CAP >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

BillB

Now who is goping to take a CAP Cessna 172 over 100 miles off the coast?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

heliodoc

One never knows, there will always be someone willing to try anything

You will get plenty of commentary here who WOULD be willing to don an LPU and be a hard charger

Gunner C

Quote from: BillB on August 05, 2009, 08:52:53 PM
That's a long swim.  :P

Chaplaindon

I am just amazed at the "wow factor" this has promoted in the news. "Golly, gee whiz" ... foreign boats in international waters (the Atlantic Ocean well offshore from Georgia).

Where else would we anticipate the Russians positioning Attack boats but off the coast adjacent to our SSBN bases (e.g. Kings Bay, Georgia)?

That's what fast-attack boats (SSN's) do, they covertly follow/shadow SSBN's (so-called "boomers"). In the event of war, their job is to kill the "boomers" before they can launch.

We do it to the Russians and Chinese. "Big surprise," they're doing it to us.

Undoubtedly there are Russian (maybe Chinese) SSNs off the coast Washington State watching our boomers come and go from Bremerton.

If you are going to sail ballistic missile boats for deterrence, you have to expect someone to try and neutralize their potential military value.

Thus our SSBN's have to be very quiet and covert. Likewise so do our SSN's chasing Russian Typhoons.

The two Russian SSN's simply got caught (embarassing but no "international incident") ... undoubtedly a couple of skippers will be completing their now-abbreviated careers "on the beach."
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Smithsonia

I thought the Russians were on our side. Oh, pardon me. I'm a World War 2 historian lost in the modern world.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

SarDragon

Quote from: jpizzo127 on August 05, 2009, 07:46:45 PM
I think we found a new job for CAP ES.

Just like the good ole' days!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/05patrol.html?_r=1

Somehow, I think the maritime patrol folks in Brunswick and Jacksonville are much better equipped for such a mission. They have better range, flight time, and weapons capabilities for locating, tracking, and destroying (if necessary) modern subs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Isn't that exactly what our subhunters did in airplanes of nowhere near the quality of the 172?

Short Field

Quotethe Navy was able to track the submarines as they made their way through international waters off the American coastline. This can be done from aircraft, ships, underwater sensors or other submarines.  "We've known where they were, and we're not concerned about our ability to track the subs," the official added.

I am sure the Navy needs some C-172s and C-182s to help them out.   

I just hope the "hard charger" doesn't kill some fellow CAPer trying to prove how macho he is....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PaulR

Flying Pig

Modern day subs dont have to surface like their diesel counter parts of WWII did.   Not to mention....your scanner might see a missile streaking up from the water and have just enough time to whimper over the ICS before you turn into a pink mist.

Gunner C

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 06, 2009, 12:18:20 AM
Modern day subs dont have to surface like their diesel counter parts of WWII did.   Not to mention....your scanner might see a missile streaking up from the water and have just enough time to whimper over the ICS before you turn into a pink mist.
Wear earplugs.  ;D

Major Carrales

In the words of that most esteemed diplomat Ray Stevens...

We've got a Soviet sub, she's a '79
She's got a nuclear reactor and she runs real fine
We're loyal to the party and the party line
But a sailor's got to have a little fun sometimes

Surfin' U.S.S.R.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

RRLE

Now would someone call the USCG Auxiliary and ask them to put their sailboats out on the water so that the subs will have to stay submerged. Then when they do an emergency blow for air CAP can bomb them.

Oh wait - nuke subs don't have to come up for air. Nuke boats cannot be seen from the surface (or above it) since they are down so deep. The nuke boats are in interenational waters and not violating any law so neither the Aux or CAP has any reason to be interested in them.

WWII was over more then 60 years ago. It is time for both organizations to stop living in the past and trying to live off fading glory.

heliodoc

RRLE

Are you ready for he 65 year old backlash???

I'm with you brother, technology has come along way even in nuke boats

CAP..... 65 yr newer aircraft and betting we can't drop anything more than messages anymore........

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: RiverAux on August 05, 2009, 09:29:02 PM
Isn't that exactly what our subhunters did in airplanes of nowhere near the quality of the 172?

Wouldn't current regs require us to be at, oh, 15,000' to be 100 miles out. I've got good eyes but I don't think I could spot a periscope from that altitude  ;D

Rotorhead

Quote from: RRLE on August 06, 2009, 02:33:19 AM
WWII was over more then 60 years ago. It is time for both organizations to stop living in the past and trying to live off fading glory.

Even I could tell the original post was just kidding.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Climbnsink

Won't work the G-1000 Cessnas don't have enough useful load to carry depth charges. :) ;)

billford1

I think we need to invite them to make a port of call at Port Everglades. They would be welcomed on the Fort Lauderdale Strip. After all they've been making this patrol since the 60's.

Short Field

Fort Lauderdale ... Spring Break .... ICE would have a full time job getting them back on the boat!!!
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

jpizzo127

It's comforting to see the majority of those on this board realize the original post was an outlandish joke.

Just so I am clear, if I don't post one of these things.... ;D ;) :om that means the post is serious?

For those that did not get the joke.... :o
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

Bobble

A bit of a digression perhaps, but you could discuss this current event and then segue into a neat movie-based military history/leadership activity.  Go to:

http://www.fireleadership.gov/toolbox/documents/lead_in_cinema.htm

And scroll down to the "K-19: The Widowmaker" link, a nicely done leadership lesson plan in .doc format adaptable to a cadet program leadership activity.  All you need is the time, of course.

Lots of other good leadership resources available at this site.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Rob Sherlin

I think the question would be...what are they doing off our coast? Are they just trying to get us comfortable with them being there? You gotta' realize they have tried our way of life, and it didn't work for them. But, I don't think they're gonna' start a war....YET! It's for the Navy and Coast Guard to keep watch on them right now. What scares me is, they are suppose to be a major power and one of the "four horsemen" if you believe in that (one of the signals to the end of mankind). And, to also mention, we have been such an "open"country in the past, we have people who hate America living right here! If there is a big war, I feel there will be MAJOR civil unrest as well. They will attack us from the inside (they are allready doing so with buisness) as well as from the outside.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

billford1

We just need  to air drop some spring break tourist literature. Why shouldn't they make a port of call Fort Lauderdale. Take em on a party buss down to South Beach. Shoot they'll all defect.

Spike

Well if they all are like the Russians in the "Hunt for Red October", they are defecting and going to give us the secrets to the 40 year old submarines they are floating around in.  Come on.....I would focus more attention to the new submarines China is constructing and not worry about Russia so much. 

Chinese want global dominance any way they can.  That is and has been the goal for the last two decades. 

Not to mention our little Cessna's will not do much damage to subs manufactured after 1960 or so.  Heck they don't even need to surface anymore to kill a city.  Scary stuff......right?!?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on August 11, 2009, 06:12:00 PM
I think the question would be...what are they doing off our coast? Are they just trying to get us comfortable with them being there? You gotta' realize they have tried our way of life, and it didn't work for them. But, I don't think they're gonna' start a war....YET! It's for the Navy and Coast Guard to keep watch on them right now. What scares me is, they are suppose to be a major power and one of the "four horsemen" if you believe in that (one of the signals to the end of mankind). And, to also mention, we have been such an "open"country in the past, we have people who hate America living right here! If there is a big war, I feel there will be MAJOR civil unrest as well. They will attack us from the inside (they are allready doing so with buisness) as well as from the outside.

Russian intel has it figured that we are going to break up into as many as 7 separate nations before 2012 anyway.  Texas already has more than 30 percent of its citizens favoring succession.  I'm on the committee to re-write 39-1 to change our uniforms to gray and call us the "Confederate Air Patrol." 

Hang on to your Confederate money... the South will rise again!
Another former CAP officer

wuzafuzz

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 14, 2009, 08:44:48 PM
Russian intel has it figured that we are going to break up into as many as 7 separate nations before 2012 anyway.  Texas already has more than 30 percent of its citizens favoring succession.  I'm on the committee to re-write 39-1 to change our uniforms to gray and call us the "Confederate Air Patrol." 

Russian intel must moonlight as screenwriters!   ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(TV_series)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

tarheel gumby

Quote from: SarDragon on August 05, 2009, 09:22:00 PM

Somehow, I think the maritime patrol folks in Brunswick and Jacksonville are much better equipped for such a mission. They have better range, flight time, and weapons capabilities for locating, tracking, and destroying (if necessary) modern subs.

Just out of NAS Jax and Oceana now Glynco is closed and is now a very large Fed Training center for LEO's
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

bosshawk

Don' t forget Whidbey Island in Washington for us folks on the Left Coast.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Quote from: tarheel gumby on August 16, 2009, 01:47:41 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 05, 2009, 09:22:00 PM

Just out of NAS Jax and Oceana now Glynco is closed and is now a very large Fed Training center for LEO's

What do Maine and Georgia have in common germane to this thread? The maritime patrol (VP) folks have never been based in GA. NAS Brunswick, ME, is scheduled to close in 2011, but is still currently an active operating base.

I'll take an oopsie on Whidbey. I forgot that they sent some P-3s back up there a while back. That was an on-again, off-again situation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

I think the question would be...what are they doing off our coast?

The same thing our subs are doing off their coast, watching and listening.

So what's the problem?

Johnny Yuma

You think Texas would take Oklahoma and Kansas as part of a package deal?
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

flyerthom

This guy disagrees:

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/index.htm
TC

SarDragon

I smell the click monster approaching.

Quick, let's go find a submarine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

This guy disagrees:

Someone needs to tell 'that guy' that Mexico and most of Central America are also part of North America.

Bombas lejos!

Spike

Quote from: RRLE on August 21, 2009, 11:17:38 AM
This guy disagrees:

Someone needs to tell 'that guy' that Mexico and most of Central America are also part of North America.

Bombas lejos!

Just the parts of North America, he wants to leave out.  Do you want them??

MIKE

Mike Johnston