Russian Subs off the Coast...Time to resurrect the Sub Hunters?

Started by jpizzo127, August 05, 2009, 07:46:45 PM

jpizzo127

JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

heliodoc

YAAAAAAY  HOOOOORAY

Pilots would love it!!!!!!

NHQ and its legal types would be shying away just looking at the article!!

I'd like to see the see the faces at NHQ now that some folks would LUUUUV to reenact the old daze of CAP >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

BillB

Now who is goping to take a CAP Cessna 172 over 100 miles off the coast?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

heliodoc

One never knows, there will always be someone willing to try anything

You will get plenty of commentary here who WOULD be willing to don an LPU and be a hard charger

Gunner C

Quote from: BillB on August 05, 2009, 08:52:53 PM
That's a long swim.  :P

Chaplaindon

I am just amazed at the "wow factor" this has promoted in the news. "Golly, gee whiz" ... foreign boats in international waters (the Atlantic Ocean well offshore from Georgia).

Where else would we anticipate the Russians positioning Attack boats but off the coast adjacent to our SSBN bases (e.g. Kings Bay, Georgia)?

That's what fast-attack boats (SSN's) do, they covertly follow/shadow SSBN's (so-called "boomers"). In the event of war, their job is to kill the "boomers" before they can launch.

We do it to the Russians and Chinese. "Big surprise," they're doing it to us.

Undoubtedly there are Russian (maybe Chinese) SSNs off the coast Washington State watching our boomers come and go from Bremerton.

If you are going to sail ballistic missile boats for deterrence, you have to expect someone to try and neutralize their potential military value.

Thus our SSBN's have to be very quiet and covert. Likewise so do our SSN's chasing Russian Typhoons.

The two Russian SSN's simply got caught (embarassing but no "international incident") ... undoubtedly a couple of skippers will be completing their now-abbreviated careers "on the beach."
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Smithsonia

I thought the Russians were on our side. Oh, pardon me. I'm a World War 2 historian lost in the modern world.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

SarDragon

Quote from: jpizzo127 on August 05, 2009, 07:46:45 PM
I think we found a new job for CAP ES.

Just like the good ole' days!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/05patrol.html?_r=1

Somehow, I think the maritime patrol folks in Brunswick and Jacksonville are much better equipped for such a mission. They have better range, flight time, and weapons capabilities for locating, tracking, and destroying (if necessary) modern subs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Isn't that exactly what our subhunters did in airplanes of nowhere near the quality of the 172?

Short Field

Quotethe Navy was able to track the submarines as they made their way through international waters off the American coastline. This can be done from aircraft, ships, underwater sensors or other submarines.  "We've known where they were, and we're not concerned about our ability to track the subs," the official added.

I am sure the Navy needs some C-172s and C-182s to help them out.   

I just hope the "hard charger" doesn't kill some fellow CAPer trying to prove how macho he is....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PaulR

Flying Pig

Modern day subs dont have to surface like their diesel counter parts of WWII did.   Not to mention....your scanner might see a missile streaking up from the water and have just enough time to whimper over the ICS before you turn into a pink mist.

Gunner C

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 06, 2009, 12:18:20 AM
Modern day subs dont have to surface like their diesel counter parts of WWII did.   Not to mention....your scanner might see a missile streaking up from the water and have just enough time to whimper over the ICS before you turn into a pink mist.
Wear earplugs.  ;D

Major Carrales

In the words of that most esteemed diplomat Ray Stevens...

We've got a Soviet sub, she's a '79
She's got a nuclear reactor and she runs real fine
We're loyal to the party and the party line
But a sailor's got to have a little fun sometimes

Surfin' U.S.S.R.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

RRLE

Now would someone call the USCG Auxiliary and ask them to put their sailboats out on the water so that the subs will have to stay submerged. Then when they do an emergency blow for air CAP can bomb them.

Oh wait - nuke subs don't have to come up for air. Nuke boats cannot be seen from the surface (or above it) since they are down so deep. The nuke boats are in interenational waters and not violating any law so neither the Aux or CAP has any reason to be interested in them.

WWII was over more then 60 years ago. It is time for both organizations to stop living in the past and trying to live off fading glory.

heliodoc

RRLE

Are you ready for he 65 year old backlash???

I'm with you brother, technology has come along way even in nuke boats

CAP..... 65 yr newer aircraft and betting we can't drop anything more than messages anymore........

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: RiverAux on August 05, 2009, 09:29:02 PM
Isn't that exactly what our subhunters did in airplanes of nowhere near the quality of the 172?

Wouldn't current regs require us to be at, oh, 15,000' to be 100 miles out. I've got good eyes but I don't think I could spot a periscope from that altitude  ;D

Rotorhead

Quote from: RRLE on August 06, 2009, 02:33:19 AM
WWII was over more then 60 years ago. It is time for both organizations to stop living in the past and trying to live off fading glory.

Even I could tell the original post was just kidding.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Climbnsink

Won't work the G-1000 Cessnas don't have enough useful load to carry depth charges. :) ;)