Main Menu

Joining the Air Force

Started by notaNCO forever, July 02, 2009, 07:40:53 PM

PHall

Let me guess, your Recruiter is a Cop.

flyguy06

What difference does it make if you turn SM now or after Tech school? You will be so busy during basic and tech school,. you wont even be thinking about CAP.

SarDragon

He becomes "not a cadet" upon entry onto active duty. He becomes a senior member after submitting the paperwork. The intervening period is basically limbo.

The idea is to convert to SM at the most advantageous point before entering onto AD.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on July 03, 2009, 02:10:30 AM
They haz gunz... and cool hats.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 03, 2009, 02:12:33 AM
Probably because the CAP Cadet Corps has good troops and Security Forces is one of the few AF specialties that actually launch ordnance at enemies of the United States!

Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2009, 04:33:26 AM

Now that we have three other answers, I am still curious "notaNCO forever", why are you choosing Security Forces?
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

He did:

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 03, 2009, 02:56:42 AM
... As for security forces it seemed to apeal to me over the rest of the careers.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on July 03, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
He did:

... As for security forces it seemed to apeal to me over the rest of the careers.

Well, [darn].  I obvsiouly didn't see that while reading the thread on my Crackberry.

Well, if you have any questions about Security Forces, perhaps I can answer them.
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Stonewall on July 03, 2009, 01:55:49 PM
Quote from: MIKE on July 03, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
He did:

Well, [darn].  I obvsiouly didn't see that while reading the thread on my Crackberry.

Well, if you have any questions about Security Forces, perhaps I can answer them.
I don't really have any questions currently, but if I have any questions later I'll ask. Thamks for the offer.
Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2009, 04:33:26 AM
Nope he's not a cop. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 02, 2009, 08:25:44 PM
Quote from: citizensoldier on July 02, 2009, 08:19:57 PM
Congrats on your choice to serve and good luck!  You can work to be an NCO again.

I plan to.
I'm going to be doing security forces.
WOW!!!  Got to wonder what other AF careers were made available to you ???  How well did you score on the AFASVAB?   

Difficult career field; lots of nights, weekends & holiday duty -- Your exposure to danger will be significantly more than other career fields in the AF! 

Hopefully your selection was made after considerable thought of what your long term career goals are weighing the risks as well as the benefits.  I'd strongly encourage you to talk with others that are currently on active duty in that career field.
RM     

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2009, 08:43:57 AM
He becomes "not a cadet" upon entry onto active duty. He becomes a senior member after submitting the paperwork. The intervening period is basically limbo.

The idea is to convert to SM at the most advantageous point before entering onto AD.

If the forms are submitted properly, he'll save on his membership costs the first year and if he's deployed his dues will be waived.

If they aren't handled properly he could well become one of the far too many who simply fade away from CAP and never return.  Becoming "not a cadet" is automatic by regulation, becoming a senior member isn't without some attention.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

Just an update, I got a 91 on my ASVAB, passed my, physical, and got sworn into the United States Air Force. Instead of doing SF, which I've been warned is a lousy job, I'm going to do something in the intelligence area. After I decided to not do Security Forces I decide to try to try for being a PJ, or other special operations, but the hearing in my left ear at a certain frequency wasn't good enough, so I can not do that.

Cecil DP

Your last day of Cadet Membership is the day before you get leave for basic training. fill out the Senior Membership papers and than mail them following your last meeting.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Airrace

Good luck and congratulations on your choice to serve! Enjoy the time you have left as a cadet.

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: Airrace on August 09, 2009, 04:11:11 AM
Good luck and congratulations on your choice to serve! Enjoy the time you have left as a cadet.

Good Luck.  Have fun at basic training.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 09, 2009, 04:03:52 AM

Your last day of Cadet Membership is the day before you get leave for basic training. fill out the Senior Membership papers and than mail them following your last meeting.

Frankly, I would think this projected "former" cadet would have a lot to do in his AF career as far as upgrade training etc.  I'd also highly recommend he work on his associates degree upon arrival at his first permanent duty station.

I wouldn't recommending putting  "active" CAP membership as a high priority until appropriate USAF upgrade training is completed & as well as obtainining an AS degree.
RM   

Spike

^ RM.....

Keeping Active CAP Membership opens this new Airman up to the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.  I don't know how Air Force does promotions, but wouldn't having that medal equal more points (or whatever they use) toward being promoted??

Stonewall

Quote from: notaNCO forever on August 08, 2009, 11:20:08 PM
Instead of doing SF, which I've been warned is a lousy job,...

Probably warned by non-SF types who have no experience in the field.  I'm glad I didn't listen to all the folks who warned me about the Infantry when I first enlisted in the Army.  Couldn't imagine doing anything else in the Army.
Serving since 1987.

Short Field

Might be a recent change but last time I looked, USAF promotion points started at one point for the Achievement Medal.   The MOVSM is not listed. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640