Main Menu

Joining the Air Force

Started by notaNCO forever, July 02, 2009, 07:40:53 PM

notaNCO forever

So I've decided to join the Air Force. Do to how backed up everything is I probably will not be going to basic training until December. I'm hoping to squeak out my Earhart award before going away. I have one question when will I have to become a senior member in CAP? Can I wait until I finish my tech school training or do I have to convert to the dark side before then? I'd love any advice you guys with military experience have.   

Hawk200

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 02, 2009, 07:40:53 PM
So I've decided to join the Air Force. Do to how backed up everything is I probably will not be going to basic training until December. I'm hoping to squeak out my Earhart award before going away. I have one question when will I have to become a senior member in CAP? Can I wait until I finish my tech school training or do I have to convert to the dark side before then? I'd love any advice you guys with military experience have.

If you're going active duty, then pretty much as soon as you join the Air Force. If you're doing the Guard or Reserve, then when you turn 21.

As initial entry active duty, it would be pretty busy for a cadet. Senior member, not so bad.

Eclipse

As soon as you achieve "active duty" status, you will no longer be a cadet, regardless of whether you convert to Senior Member status.

Except for the National Guard or a Military Reserve basic training is considered "active duty".

Quote from: CAPR39-2
2-5. Upon Joining the Armed Forces. Cadets who join any branch of the active duty Armed Forces (this does not include military service academies) will furnish NHQ CAP/LMMR written notification along with a CAPF 12 and fingerprint card, at which time they will be automatically transferred to senior membership status. Additional membership dues are not required for the duration of the current membership year; they will be billed as senior member renewals. NOTE: Cadets who join the National Guard or Reserves are not required to become seniors upon attending "basic training. " Regardless of the wording of the orders, "basic training" is not interpreted by CAP as "extended active duty." However, National Guard or Reserve members who enter "extended active duty" are not eligible to be cadets and must become senior members. Individuals who join the Armed Forces under the delayed enlistment program are not required to become senior members until such time as they actually report for duty.

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 02, 2009, 07:53:55 PM
Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 02, 2009, 07:40:53 PM

If you're going active duty, then pretty much as soon as you join the Air Force. If you're doing the Guard or Reserve, then when you turn 21.

As initial entry active duty, it would be pretty busy for a cadet. Senior member, not so bad.

I'm going active duty, so I'll probably transfer to senior before leaving and whenever I get the chance to start CAP again, whenever that will be, I'll be all set.

Hawk200

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 02, 2009, 07:59:14 PMI'm going active duty, so I'll probably transfer to senior before leaving and whenever I get the chance to start CAP again, whenever that will be, I'll be all set.

Try to get your Eaker first. You could be eligible for some advanced senior rank  based on that.

Congrats on the Air Force. What are you planning to do?

citizensoldier

Congrats on your choice to serve and good luck!  You can work to be an NCO again.
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

notaNCO forever

Quote from: citizensoldier on July 02, 2009, 08:19:57 PM
Congrats on your choice to serve and good luck!  You can work to be an NCO again.

I plan to.
I'm going to be doing security forces.

DC

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 02, 2009, 08:19:29 PM
Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 02, 2009, 07:59:14 PMI'm going active duty, so I'll probably transfer to senior before leaving and whenever I get the chance to start CAP again, whenever that will be, I'll be all set.

Try to get your Eaker first. You could be eligible for some advanced senior rank  based on that.

The Eaker doesn't confer any advanced rank as a SM, only the Mitchell, Earhart and Spaatz do.

Per CAPR 35-5, Para. 3-7:
Mitchell = 2d Lt or FO
Earhart = 1st Lt or TFO
Spaatz = Capt or SFO

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on July 02, 2009, 08:29:34 PMThe Eaker doesn't confer any advanced rank as a SM, only the Mitchell, Earhart and Spaatz do.

Mitchell = 2d Lt or FO
Earhart = 1st Lt or TFO
Spaatz = Capt or SFO

I always get confused on the "E" awards. I should review it more regularly.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DC on July 02, 2009, 08:29:34 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 02, 2009, 08:19:29 PM

The Eaker doesn't confer any advanced rank as a SM, only the Mitchell, Earhart and Spaatz do.

Mitchell = 2d Lt or FO
Earhart = 1st Lt or TFO
Spaatz = Capt or SFO

Eaker = confers the same advanced grade special appointment as the Earhart (1st Lt/TFO). NHQ has never updated CAPR 35-5 to reflect the added milestone.

In addition, the following CAP senior member professional development requirements are credited upon request of the squadron commander and on completion of Level I:

Mitchell = 2d Lt/FO
Earhart = 1st Lt/TFO; technician rating in Cadet Programs
Eaker = 1st Lt/TFO; same as Earhart but adds credit for Level II (SLS and AFAIDL 13)
Spaatz = Capt/SFO; same as Eaker but adds Senior rating in CP and credit for the Yeager Award.

If you go over to the 'dark side' without a break in membership (less than three years) you get credit for the Foundations Course for Level I if you've earned a Mitcherll or higher milestone award. OPSEC and CPPT must still be taken (they're not waived).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

notaNCO forever

I already have OPSEC and CPPT, and I should have my Earhart. If I'm correct I really won't have much to do for transferring to senior member status, unless their is something I'm forgetting. 

MIKE

Mike Johnston

arajca

If you can hold off until you renew as a cadet, you'll save some money. When a ceadt comes over to the dark side, they do not have pay the difference between cadet and senior dues until they renew. Cadets typically renew at $35-$40, while senior renew at $60 and higher.

Across the top of the CAPF 12, write "CADET to SENIOR"

PHall

To sum it up, you DO NOT have to turn Senior while you're in the DEP Program, you WILL have to turn Senior when you ship to Lackland.

The Earhart does not get you anything with the Air Force.

If you can, renew your membership as a cadet and then transfer to senior status. The transfer is free and you will save about $60 or so depending on which wing you're a member of.

Stonewall

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Security Forces?
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

They haz gunz... and cool hats.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

Probably because the CAP Cadet Corps has good troops and Security Forces is one of the few AF specialties that actually launch ordnance at enemies of the United States!
Another former CAP officer

Pylon

Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2009, 12:43:39 AM
If you can, renew your membership as a cadet and then transfer to senior status. The transfer is free and you will save about $60 or so depending on which wing you're a member of.

Heck, if you can, opt for the 3-year renewal package (do cadets get that option?) and once it pings, drop the free CAPF 12 "Cadet to Senior" packet on them.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Pylon on July 03, 2009, 02:41:27 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2009, 12:43:39 AM

Heck, if you can, opt for the 3-year renewal package (do cadets get that option?) and once it pings, drop the free CAPF 12 "Cadet to Senior" packet on them.   ;)

Cadets can only renew one year at a time. As for security forces it seemed to apeal to me over the rest of the careers.

MIKE

Because they haz gunz... and cool hats.
Mike Johnston