Main Menu

Base Access

Started by Smokey, May 26, 2009, 09:56:54 PM

majdomke

We are housed on an Army Depot staffed by DLA police officers. CAP ID or drivers license is sufficient to get on base. We are also close to Travis AFB and the same conditions apply. As for BX privileges, buying anything at the uniform clothing store is acceptable with your CAP ID card. I've also made some purchases at the BX while staying overnight for SLS and TLC. I only bought personal needs items and just needed to show my card. I had my MTA with me just in case. Obviously if the threat condition is raised, you might be asked to show your drivers license along with CAP ID card. I bought the photo ID card just to help speed things up. Plus, it looks more official.

wingnut55

CAP Knowledgebase

Question
  When trying to get on base to attend a meeting, I was told by one of the security forces officers that CAP members were considered a security threat and that is why we were given such a hard time when trying to get on base. Is this kind of treatment ever going to change for CAP members?

Answer
  Sorry for the hassle. All military installations have increased security awareness and procedures since 9-11 with many restricting access to bases. Some security forces members do not realize that CAP members are part of the Air Force team making valuable contributions to the AF mission every day. Installation commanders are encouraged in AF instructions to support CAP activities and members, but may exercise their discretion in determining access to facilities and services by CAP members. You may wish to apply for a one day pass at "Vistor Pass & ID" for puposes of purchasing uniform and insignia items and also inquire about registering your vehicle with base Pass & ID. CAP ID, valid current vehicle registration, valid current proof of insurance coverage are required. If access to a base is a recurring problem, you should ask your unit commander to notify the CAP base liaison officer of the situation and ask for help to allow CAP members access to base facilities. Liaison by CAP with host installations and supporting units is critical for CAP to successfully plan and conduct activities. AF regulations require AF installation commanders to appoint a field grade officer to assist CAP and supporting Air Force units appoint a project officer to coordinate their support and involvement in activities. Commanders will provide the designee's name, rank, office symbol and telephone number to HQ CAP-USAF. Installation commanders will contact CAP-USAF liaison personnel directly to coordinate matters relating to the activity.

For additional details on the USAF-CAP relationship see paragraphs below from AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 10-2701 ORGANIZATION AND FUNCTION OF THE CIVIL AIR PATROL (Note: Link(s) will open a new browser window and leave this site.)

3.1.3. Liaison at Air Force Installations. Support from Air Force Installations is important for CAP to carry out its missions. Liaison activities at this level typically involve coordinating the use of facilities and services of the Installation. Installation commanders will appoint a field grade officer to assist CAP-USAF personnel and to act as a liaison with CAP units that are located on the Installation. Installation commanders will provide the designee's name, rank, office symbol and telephone number to CAP-USAF and will update this information annually. When providing short-term support to CAP units, Installation commanders may also designate a project officer to work with the CAP unit. Installation commanders will contact CAP-USAF liaison personnel directly to coordinate matters relating to CAP.

3.9. Installation Support. To carry out AFAMs, it is important that CAP personnel have access to adequate facilities and services. At their discretion and expense, Air Force Installation commanders may permit CAP to use Installation services and facilities. Long-term support may include designated CAP use of facilities and services. Short-term support may include temporary billeting, messing, and ground transportation for CAP activities. Installation commanders will coordinate with CAP-USAF before entering into any host Installation support agreements with CAP units or activities.

3.9.1. Long-term support. Air Force Installation commanders are encouraged to provide long-term support to CAP as the host organization for CAP units. CAP units typically do not have the operating funds to purchase or rent facilities and must negotiate for meeting and office space wherever possible. CAP units do not require the same support as typical Air Force units. When practicable, Installation commanders may make suitable facilities available for long-term use by CAP. CAP units will not be expected to reimburse Installations for long-term use facilities. 3.9.2. Short-term Support. Air Force Installations are encouraged to provide short-term support for temporary CAP activities. CAP activities in this category include cadet encampments, senior member training activities, flight clinics, and other flying related activities. These types of activities typically involve the use of various base facilities including billeting, messing, Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) or Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) activities such as clubs, exchanges and theaters, and services including transportation. CAP may use Installation facilities and services that operate on a fee for service basis, such as messing and base billeting, at CAP member expense, when engaged in Installation-sponsored CAP activities.

3.9.3. Support Considerations. CAP units will be given priority for space on Air Force Installations immediately following Air Force, DoD, and Federal agencies, and ahead of youth groups such as scouting, or MWR activities such as hobby clubs or groups. Installations can arrange with CAP units to provide minor maintenance and housekeeping of the facility to defray associated costs of host-tenant support. If practicable, CAP units should be provided facilities with adequate administration, storage, and training space. Installation commanders with limited space may consider providing CAP units administrative space near common use facilities such as community centers, lecture halls, and other suitable training facilities. Installations with flight facilities should consider the need for ramp space for CAP aircraft or other flying related support or operating requirements.

3.15. Use of DoD Medical Facilities. CAP personnel incurring an injury or illness during an AFAM are entitled to limited military medical care in accordance with AFH 41-114, Military Health Services System (MHSS) Matrix. CAP personnel participating in an official function on a military Installation may be entitled to emergency medical care, like any other civilian, in accordance with AFH 41-114.

3.16. Use of Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) Facilities. In accordance with AFJI 34-210 (AR 60-20) Army and Air Force Exchange Service Operating Policies, Chapter 2-9, Paragraph (c)(4), CAP personnel, while participating in an AFAM, or official function on a military Installation and occupying government quarters, are entitled to the use of AAFES facilities and services if approved by the installation commander. Such use does not apply to CAP units and personnel attending unit meetings and other regularly scheduled corporate activities at a military Installation.

3.17. Installation Commander Discretion. To the extent allowed by law, installation commanders may exercise their discretion in determining whether access to facilities and services described in this instruction should be further limited.

Cecil DP

What is an OG (I know what CC is)?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

PHall

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Ned on May 28, 2009, 10:18:56 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 28, 2009, 02:26:34 AM
Being retired military with an appropriate ID card, I DO NOT feel that CAP members should get access to a military base at all times & restrictions should be in place that all members understand & comply with.

I am also a retired military guy with a card, and I am far more comfortable with CAP members having access than most dependants.

I did a fair amount of time as the MP duty officer and we dealt with countless dependants who had difficulty behaving themselves but never once dealt with improper actions by a CAP member.

After all, CAP seniors undergo a fingerprint check - something never requred of dependants.  And CAP members, at least, are providing valuable volunteer services for America.

Of course neither CAP members nor dependants should be just wandering around areas of bases where they have no lawful business.

But CAP members are no less trustworthy than many other classes of persons granted base access.

Ned Lee

Yeah I tend to agree. The fact is that dependent kids get unrestricted access and cause a lot more trouble (shoplifting, general screwing around) than a member of CAP. 

Not to mention, I don't think anyone here is suggesting "unrestricted" access for CAP Members.  My understanding is we're discussing getting on base for legitimate CAP Functions or to purchase uniform items.  Those are pretty restricted.

2ltAlexD

I have found that when I need to acccess the bx for uniform items, I don't have any problems even though I am from another squadron and don't meet on the base. I understand we are permited base access to get uniform itmes and accessories at any time correct? Is there a limit of times we can get on for this type of thing, like once or month etc?
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

BrandonKea

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on May 30, 2009, 02:06:03 AM
I have found that when I need to acccess the bx for uniform items, I don't have any problems even though I am from another squadron and don't meet on the base. I understand we are permited base access to get uniform itmes and accessories at any time correct? Is there a limit of times we can get on for this type of thing, like once or month etc?

Nope, no limit...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP