Main Menu

Feik Award?

Started by Flying Pig, February 17, 2009, 06:42:55 PM

Flying Pig

I heard a nasty rumor that a Cadet or Senior Member asked Mary Feik to remove the CAP Feik award/ medal from her coat because she hadnt actually earned it?  I read it on a thread here in CAPTalk and was going to ask if that actually happened?  I looked but couldnt find the thread. 

jimmydeanno

I made the comment in another thread.  I have just heard it as rumor, but the person that told it to me is pretty credible (someone that I'd trust my life to).

It was told to me as she was in attendance at a CAP conference when some over zealous SM pointed out that she shouldn't wear it because she "hadn't earned it."

Being the lady that she is simply apologized and removed it.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously." -- Anonymous

Eclipse

I have no doubt whatsoever that some of our more...um...well...less...er...politically savvy members are capable of behavior like that - assuming its true, kudos to Ms. Feik for simply moving on.

That's the kind of thing that should generate a pointed "what were you thinking?" conversation with the member, she is, after all, the living embodiment of the award, which is basically the point.

Good thing it wasn't Buzz Aldrin!   ;D   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

If that is true....then the SM in question should be reprimended and made to apologize to Mary Feik.   I have had the great privilege of meeting her, working with her and had the wonderful pleasure of visiting the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville with her during the '08 PCR Conference (which I must say was definitely a highlight in my CAP career).   Mary is one of the most personable and gracious people that I know.  I am glad to know that it was not a cadet...for that would have been a source of personal hurt.  I have witnessed the way she interacts with cadets...she adores them and they adore her.  

She may not have met the requirements for "receiving" the award --- but she has more than earned it and the right to wear it.  
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

davidsinn

I'm a reg nazi but I have ZERO problem with Ms. Feik wearing the award named after her. Although it may be overkill but I wouldn't oppose a reg change to authorize it officially. Perhaps that's something we could send up channels to ask Gen. Courter to do?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Quote from: davidsinn on February 17, 2009, 07:12:50 PM
I'm a reg nazi but I have ZERO problem with Ms. Feik wearing the award named after her. Although it may be overkill but I wouldn't oppose a reg change to authorize it officially. Perhaps that's something we could send up channels to ask Gen. Courter to do?

Not that it really should matter, but how do we know permission wasn't already granted?   It doesn't need to be published for everybody to see, but it could still have been given.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 17, 2009, 06:55:37 PM
I made the comment in another thread.  I have just heard it as rumor, but the person that told it to me is pretty credible (someone that I'd trust my life to).

It was told to me as she was in attendance at a CAP conference when some over zealous SM pointed out that she shouldn't wear it because she "hadn't earned it."

Being the lady that she is simply apologized and removed it.

And her daughter ripped his throat out.... :D >:D

Smithsonia

If this actually occurred then it is a disgrace to the Patrol.

Mary Feik deserves our loyal gratitude for her support of CAP every day. She receives personal calls from CAP cadets routinely about this and that and acts as a mentor, particularly to female cadets. God Bless her! On a similar note... I'd like to get NHQ to award the daughter of Maj. Gen. Curry (Sheila) a Curry Award. She wouldn't have earned it, but she deserves it. That said, I've done nothing yet to make this occur -- But I will soon.

I saw a mother of a medal of honor awardee proudly wear her son's decoration to a patriotic ceremony. She didn't earn it either but her dead son did. For anyone to have taken her to task would have been an insult beyond the pale. Shame on anyone who would take Mary Feik to task for anything under any circumstances. Remember, many Doctorates of Letters (etc) are Awarded by prestigious Universities every year to people who did not earn it but did deserve it. These are deserved awards with ceremonial significance.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

davidsinn

Quote from: Pylon on February 17, 2009, 07:13:52 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 17, 2009, 07:12:50 PM

Not that it really should matter, but how do we know permission wasn't already granted?   It doesn't need to be published for everybody to see, but it could still have been given.

I see your point and agree that it could be true however: Something like that should be publicized due to her great contributions to the program and I would support her being awarded it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

heliodoc

to all above posts

CAP Online 15 Jun 2007 gives a rundown

Probably more experience than most CAP SM's

Somebody shooting off their mouth and once again CAP shot itself in foot

Looks REAAALLLL good folks

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Chappie on February 17, 2009, 07:08:37 PM
If that is true....then the SM in question should be reprimended and made to apologize to Mary Feik.   I have had the great privilege of meeting her, working with her and had the wonderful pleasure of visiting the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville with her during the '08 PCR Conference (which I must say was definitely a highlight in my CAP career).   Mary is one of the most personable and gracious people that I know.  I am glad to know that it was not a cadet...for that would have been a source of personal hurt.  I have witnessed the way she interacts with cadets...she adores them and they adore her.  

She may not have met the requirements for "receiving" the award --- but she has more than earned it and the right to wear it.  

Does Mary Feik still go to this every year? I have missed it the last two years. Being the amzing women she is, it would be an honor to meet her.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Flying Pig

I was hoping the answer was going to be "nasty rumor".  Its sad someone thought so highly of themselves.  i really hope someone has dealt with that member in a swift and violent manner.  Because someone with a complete lack of social awareness of that level will do it again, if not be empowered to rise to higher levels of ass#@%$ness on the next occasion. 

RiverAux

I don't believe it happened for the simple reason that I don't believe there are any senior members out there that would recognize this award. 

Flying Pig

Well, if it was an activity honoring Mary Feik, Im sure it would have been explained.  But again, we can only take the word of someone Jimmy would trust with his life! ;D

Chappie

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on February 17, 2009, 08:31:42 PM
Quote from: Chappie on February 17, 2009, 07:08:37 PM

Does Mary Feik still go to this every year? I have missed it the last two years. Being the amzing women she is, it would be an honor to meet her.

This was an unscheduled-spur-of-the-moment-after-breakfast-on-Friday-morning-group outing (gotta love those spur of the moment events).   I know that she is a featured speaker for events held at Evergreen.   She had just been there a few weeks prior.  It was a treat to hang out with her -- and listen to her share about her experiences in some of the planes.  When one of the Curators found out that she was there...we really got the grand tour - LOL.  

If you have received the Feik Award...I do know that several cadets have taken theirs with them to where she is speaking and she has graciously autographed them.

Pylon

Quote from: Chappie on February 17, 2009, 11:20:02 PM
If you have received the Feik Award...I do know that several cadets have taken theirs with them to where she is speaking and she has graciously autographed them.

???

Except that there is no such thing as the Feik Award and the cadets receive no paper certificate from National for completing the Feik Achievement.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Maybe she signs the ribbon?  Or the cadet's forehead, like Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights?

JayT

Or maybe the local squadron produced a certificate........
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

dwb

I like my theories better.

Chappie

Quote from: dwb on February 18, 2009, 12:11:59 AM
I like my theories better.

All I know is that she was signing something for them ....and I definitely like your theories  :clap:

_

Quote from: JThemann on February 18, 2009, 12:10:07 AM

She produced her own certificate that she gives out as a sort of commemorative thing, not as an official CAP certificate.

Chappie

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on February 18, 2009, 12:38:15 AM

She produced her own certificate that she gives out as a sort of commemorative thing, not as an official CAP certificate.

Okay...I wasn't going daffy after all  ::)  I knew it was an "official" looking type of paper and wasn't the paper napkin at the banquet or their forehead - LOL

CAP Producer

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on February 18, 2009, 12:38:15 AM

She does this at most wing conferences she goes to. Mary presents a personally signed certificate to the Feik Recipients of  that particular wing. It's actually a very nice certificate and a real collector's item. I saw her do that at 2 conferences and it was very moving. She also gives a terrific history presentation. And she is a great hugger!  ;D
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Nathan

I would just have to imagine that the member in question who corrected Mary Feik on wearing an achievement she hadn't "earned" had not earned the award either.

I mean... honestly... it's the Feik achievement... I would bet that she could WRITE that test.

::)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Flying Pig

There is a serious disconnect with reality involved.  Good thing Neil Armstrong didnt show up!

Ranger75

Until I made the move to Wing Hqs, I was a member of the Annapolis Composite Squadron, MDWG, Mary's home squadron.  At her own expense, Mary has produced a presentation certificate recognizing accomplishment of the Feik achievement.  At every turn, Mary takes the opportunity to personally present the certificate to eligible cadets.  Although I completed the cadet program many years before the establishment of the Feik achievement, my personally signed Feik certificate is proudly displayed alongside my Spaatz Award certificate in my office at Wing HQs.  One word of caution, presentation of the certificate obliges one to engage in a warm hug with one of aviation's true living legends, an obligation I was honored to forfill.  In my years associated with CAP, only Jack Sorenson, the father of the modern cadet program, could stand in the same rank with Mary in devotion to the cadets of CAP. 

Rotorhead

Quote from: RiverAux on February 17, 2009, 11:13:28 PM
I don't believe it happened for the simple reason that I don't believe there are any senior members out there that would recognize this award. 
I don't believe it because I have yet to see substantiation of it actually happening.

It's a rumor until we hear who said it, and at what event it was said. Until then, everyone's just getting all riled up over a story someone heard.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Flying Pig

Well, this is the same CAP who has a "very respected" IC who told me helicopters were useless in SAR!  So nothing surprises me.

davedove

Quote from: Ranger75 on February 18, 2009, 03:21:17 AM
Until I made the move to Wing Hqs, I was a member of the Annapolis Composite Squadron, MDWG, Mary's home squadron.  At her own expense, Mary has produced a presentation certificate recognizing accomplishment of the Feik achievement.  At every turn, Mary takes the opportunity to personally present the certificate to eligible cadets.  Although I completed the cadet program many years before the establishment of the Feik achievement, my personally signed Feik certificate is proudly displayed alongside my Spaatz Award certificate in my office at Wing HQs.  One word of caution, presentation of the certificate obliges one to engage in a warm hug with one of aviation's true living legends, an obligation I was honored to forfill.  In my years associated with CAP, only Jack Sorenson, the father of the modern cadet program, could stand in the same rank with Mary in devotion to the cadets of CAP. 

Right, because she's local, we invite her to our squadron, Frederick Composite Squadron, MDWG, about once a year.  She always brings a supply of the certificates and personally awards them to the cadets who have earned the award since her last visit.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Major Carrales

I am saddened by the prospect the living legends, Like Feik, would be so disgraced with such questionalbe behavior by our officers.

I would assume that Mary Feik has given CAP permisson to use her name on a CAP achievement, not the other way around.  If anyone has the right to wear it is is the honoree.  In fact, I would present her with it officially.

By the way, Capt Chuck Corway has produced a Mary Feik certificate.  It is a nice gesture for a Commander to provide their cadet with some documentation, be it not official, it will at least insure they know when they complete the award.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

There are ways to handle someone not wearing the uniform correctly and obviously they didn't use one of them.  Where are the uniform nazis?  A SM is allowed to wear one lapel pin on their blazer, she wears about six.  The regulation doesn't allow for ribbons to be worn on the blazer.

Col Feik is an aviation pioneer and a great person - I've spent time with her several times all over the country.  But a colonel has an obligation to follow the uniform regulations and set an example.  The problem is the way the idiot went about it.  As happends too often, a CAP officer sticks their nose where they shouldn't and ends up with their head stuck in a dark, warm place.

Flame away.

JayT

I have a question.

Where did this happen?

When did it happen?

What Wing?

What conference?

Who were the officers involved?

Ya'll are up in arms about something that may of not even happened........
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Gunner C

billford1

I met Mary Feik  at our Wing Conference last Spring where she  presented the endorsed award certificate to a number of Cadets. I have a hard time understanding why some Cadet or zealous SM would confront and humiliate her in such a way if in fact it happened. The National Vice Commander and some AF brass were also there at our wing conference. I know that Mary Feik is a recognized aviation pioneer. For anyone to treat her in such a way is an outrage. If you see someone wearing an award that you think they didn't earn don't assume it's your place to correct what you perceive as their violation. You may not have enough information. If I were the Wing Commander at that event I would have exacted a personal apology from that individual to Mary Feik. She does not have to be as nice as she is in traveling to make a personal appearance to reward our Cadets.

RiverAux

Sad that this unverified rumor will be floating around CAP forever now that it has been posted here. 

Rotorhead

Quote from: RiverAux on February 22, 2009, 07:14:55 PM
Sad that this unverified rumor will be floating around CAP forever now that it has been posted here. 

Yes, it is, because people will use the old, "I heard..." for years now (just as they are on this thread) when spreading this story that may not even have happened at all.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Major Carrales

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 22, 2009, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 22, 2009, 07:14:55 PM

Yes, it is, because people will use the old, "I heard..." for years now (just as they are on this thread) when spreading this story that may not even have happened at all.

I told RiverAux in PM that the old saying "I read/heard it in two different places so it must be true" no longer applies in cyberspace.

I would not be suprised if someone said the rumor as an "example" of a faux pas and the resulting misunderstanding due to "skimming" or "half hearted reading" turned it into a "truth."

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454