Former cadets, who was your mentor?

Started by Stonewall, December 22, 2008, 01:07:31 AM

Stonewall

I guess this isn't just for former cadets, but members who have been in CAP long enough to have that "living legend" type mentor who you looked up to and showed you the way.  The one who told you how it is; told you when to shut up because you were being stupid.  The guy who may have pi$$ed you off at the time, but later you realized exactly why he did what he did or said what he said.

My guy is Major George V. Otto.  My mom called him in January of 1987 to inquire about CAP for me and we met later that month before I joined 2 Feb 87 (that's when my CAPF 15 is signed).  He is actually coming to town next weekend and we're linking up for some chow.

While snooping around my squadron building I came across the 2005 Annual Report to Congress and found this (see attached) on page 40...

He has since retired and moved to Texas where he was a cadet himself in the late 50s.
Serving since 1987.

tarheel gumby

Mine was my first Squadron Commander Lt Col. Ruth "Jean" Metcalf. She was a Friend of my grandparents who where both members at the time.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Ned

Great Thread!

My CAP mentor is Lt Col Kit Reichow, former DCP of CAWG, now retired.

His wisdom and guidance turned my life around at a difficult time and set me on a path of public service.

He still works behind the scenes to improve CP at a national level.

Ned Lee

Trung Si Ma

Captain John J. "JJ" Verbruggen, CAP.  Squadron Commander, Birmingham Composite Squadron, Michigan Wing.  Taught a young cadet officer what being a cadet leader really meant.

Major Louis B. Stout, CAP.  Search Pilot, Yukon Group, Alaska Wing.  Taught a young senior Captain that he really wasn't a cadet anymore while teaching him to be a pretty good mission observer and Mission Coordinator.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

dwb

My first squadron commander, Lt Col Jack Hosp. He was also the 1997 national senior member of the year. Great guy, and one of my favorite people I've met in CAP.

Stonewall

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 22, 2008, 01:57:07 AMMajor Louis B. Stout, CAP.  Search Pilot, Yukon Group, Alaska Wing.  Taught a young senior Captain that he really wasn't a cadet anymore while teaching him to be a pretty good mission observer and Mission Coordinator.

Ditto on that one.  As a young senior member, Lt Col Gordon W. McIntosh, CAP/Ret. (former C/Lt Col MIWG) taught a very young senior member (2d Lt through Lt Col) that he wasn't a cadet anymore while teaching him everything he knows about Ground Search & Rescue.
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

The late Maj (later Lt Col) Ronald R. Bradford, CAP, commander of Dekalb County Cadet Squadron. Taught a young wet-behind-the-ears cadink that rapelling off a 250-foot cliff is FUN, after the initial scare factor wears off.

And the late Capt (later Lt Col) Jan Kendrick, commander of North Miami Cadet Squadron. I was proud to serve as a cadet in the squadron, and was her cadet commander from 1981-1982.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JoeTomasone

Closest I had was my Group Commander, Lt. Col. John Marek.   I'd have to imagine that he's passed on by now, although in truth I don't know as this was in NY Wing.  He was getting on in years WIWAC, and that was 25 years ago.    (If anyone knows, I'd appreciate an update, incidentally).   

He was the best kind of commander; firm yet fair, and always looking out for us Cadets.   Usually had time for a game of chess in which he usually soundly beat all comers.   I gave him a run for his money once, and he always seemed to find time to chat with me at Group activities from then on.   Man, I miss those days.   

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Stonewall on December 22, 2008, 02:09:21 AM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 22, 2008, 01:57:07 AMMajor Louis B. Stout, CAP.  Search Pilot, Yukon Group, Alaska Wing.  Taught a young senior Captain that he really wasn't a cadet anymore while teaching him to be a pretty good mission observer and Mission Coordinator.

Ditto on that one.  As a young senior member, Lt Col Gordon W. McIntosh, CAP/Ret. (former C/Lt Col MIWG) taught a very young senior member (2d Lt through Lt Col) that he wasn't a cadet anymore while teaching him everything he knows about Ground Search & Rescue.

You had to know that Lt. Col. McIntosh was my mentor.  He was just one of those awesome officers who would teach you anything you wanted to know.  The difficulty for me, being a young cadet, was getting the courage up to go talk to him.  When we were in the field, everything changed for the better.  I still don't remember a whole lot about his background but he is to this day one of the greatest mentors in my life.

Stonewall

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 22, 2008, 04:02:00 AM

You had to know that Lt. Col. McIntosh was my mentor.  He was just one of those awesome officers who would teach you anything you wanted to know.  The difficulty for me, being a young cadet, was getting the courage up to go talk to him.  When we were in the field, everything changed for the better.  I still don't remember a whole lot about his background but he is to this day one of the greatest mentors in my life.

You know, it's funny.  When I first joined National Capital Wing, he was sort of a mysterious type.  When I asked a cadet about Lt Col Mac, he said "I don't know, but everyone thinks he works for the CIA".  Which, in our neck of the woods was fairly common.  However, he worked at the World Bank, which I did learn later, when I worked for him there, that many people think the WB is a front for the CIA.  Anyway, he ended up being one of my best friends and my boss.  He had spent 4 years on active duty at the White House and a few years with 20th SFG(A), Army National Guard.
Serving since 1987.

PORed

My mentors where 1st LT Tim Fry and his brother CAPT Shawn Fry with Wicomico Composite Squadron, they had a huge impact on all of us cadets and we all are still close. Close enough that my best man and all my groomsmen were the Fry's and former cadets, plus my wife is a former cadet from the same unit!

Gunner C

I had three:

Lt Col Darrell W. Zenk, commander of the 17th Cadet Training Squadron (now the 17th Composite Squadron) at Elmendorf AFB, AK.  He was an active duty AF dental officer and had been previously in the MIWG.  He did more to teach me about leadership than anyone. He and his wife, Capt Laura Zenk, were instrumental in many of us growing up a bit straighter and a bit taller.  He's retired from CAP and still practices dentistry, last time I looked.

1st Lt Jeff Battle, executive officer of the 17th CTS.  He was a former TXWG member and was an active duty F-102 crew chief.  He taught me about the RM military and the differences with CAP.  He also taught me about how CAP could be at its best.

C/Lt Col Michal Swanigan, cadet commander of the 17th CTS.  He taught me that command presence (style and a bit of showmanship) not only works wonders, but makes the whole CAP thing even more fun - that fun was an important ingredient of an effective organization.  He's now senior pilot of Alaska Airlines.

I'm grateful to all of them.

Gunner

Trung Si Ma

It was my privilege to have him as my first encampment flight commander.

Small World
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Stonewall

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 22, 2008, 01:08:04 PM

It was my privilege to have him as my first encampment flight commander.

Small World

I'm usually pretty psychic like this and when I saw that you were MIWG cadet, I knew, some how, you would have at least heard of Gordon McIntosh.  Ironically, there was another MIWG cadet from that timeframe who earned the Spaatz who ended up living a mile from Gordon in the DC area.  They were buddies and I met him once.  I'll ask him his name, see if you know him. 

Gordon was in an Annual Report to Congress in the late 80s.  I have it at home and will scan it.

Gordon's mom gave him a picture of his "first day" in a CAP uniform from 1966.  I kid you not, he is 50 and looks the same as he did at age 13 or 14.  He retired in 2006 after 30 years in CAP.  His daughter is at USMA now.  I went to her jump school graduation in 2007.
Serving since 1987.

John Young

Lt Col D. Jeff Clark, CAP (Spaatz #617)
John Young, Maj, CAP

AvroArrow

So far, mine was C/2d. Lt. Sahl.

He's a SM now, turned twenty-one May '08.

First guy to even say "hi" to me when I first came to my squadron. Taught me a lot of good lessons.

Stonewall

Quote from: Stonewall on December 22, 2008, 01:27:58 PMIronically, there was another MIWG cadet from that timeframe who earned the Spaatz who ended up living a mile from Gordon in the DC area.  They were buddies and I met him once.  I'll ask him his name, see if you know him. 

Trung Si Ma:  Heard back from Gordon.  Did you know Don Parman?  I guess he and Gordon were buddies back in MIWG during their cadet days.
Serving since 1987.

Maj Ballard

Mine was my first Cadet Commander, C/Lt Col Shannon A. Mascia. He was the Missouri Wing Cadet of the Year in 1994. Shannon was the finest cadet I ever met. He was an outstanding example, loved CAP, and did everything he could to make his cadets successful. He was also one of my closest friends.

Unfortunately, he was killed tragically in 1996 in a truck/pedestrian accident. I rejoined CAP as a senior member in his memory and I tell all my cadets about him and the cadet he was. Miss you, Mascia.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

jeders

It's interesting to think back on my cadet days and look at just how so many people helped turn me into the person I am now.

I had two while I was a cadet. The first was Capt. Jean-Andre Parmitter who showed me how to be a good leader and how to take care of my fellow cadets.

The second was 1st Lt (now Capt) Bill Barley, who was just plain fun. And who also helped develop my leadership skills after Capt P had to deploy.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Stonewall

Quote from: jeders on December 22, 2008, 02:48:16 PMI had two while I was a cadet. The first was Capt. Jean-Andre Parmitter who showed me how to be a good leader and how to take care of my fellow cadets.

Ahhh Jean-Andre...we were buds back in the day (a Wednesday by the way).

He was in Prince William Squadron, right?  Or do you know him from another wing.  I know he went into the AF and was in TX at one point.  I still have his self-made business card he made when he was a 1st Lt in the mid-90s.  In fact, we worked on a missing child search near Quantico together.  Results of search were not good.
Serving since 1987.