It's an interesting day in the North East

Started by jimmydeanno, December 12, 2008, 02:27:03 PM

JAFO78

Its times like this I am so glad we moved to FL. They are getting their butts kicked back in MN & Dakotas with heavy snow and winds, I'll bet that this weather is headed to you in the NE.

Please stay safe, We here at CAP Talk don't want to lose anyone.   ;)
JAFO

NIN

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 15, 2008, 05:49:58 AM
Spoke to a co-worker in NH -- usual story -- no power, etc. 

Then he mentions that some towns near him may not get power until Christmas.   YIKES.

Geeez, where is that guy at? 

Most of the places around here are predicted to get power back in the next couple days.  They lost a LOT of trees, which effectively wiped out large sections of the grid.

But I haven't yet heard that there are places that would be waiting past about Friday for juice.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

So it's Monday, still no power (for me anyway).  Many of the schools and other larger buildings have been converted into shelters for people who need assistance. Many schools in the state are closed today because of that.

News reports indicate that the assessment was over 400,000 NH residents were without power at the peak and as of this morning that number is down around 200,000.

Tons of people are having their pipes freeze and burst.

Fortunately they restored power to major commercial areas so people can get food, a hot meal, go shopping (keeps you out of the cold) and other routine things.

I wonder when they'll start putting us in FEMA trailers...  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NIN on December 15, 2008, 01:10:58 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 15, 2008, 05:49:58 AM
Spoke to a co-worker in NH -- usual story -- no power, etc. 

Then he mentions that some towns near him may not get power until Christmas.   YIKES.

Geeez, where is that guy at? 

Not sure -- somewhere close to Nashua, I would imagine, since our office is just south of there in MA.

MIKE

Moderanger is fully operational.  Got my power back yesterday and just got my internets, cable and phone back.

Now to go buy a generator, and an air card...  :D
Mike Johnston

AvroArrow

I'm from Oakland, now living in KC and I hate the snow, ice, and cold weather altogether  :'(

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

This morning there are still aproximately 55,000 without power.  Now we're down to the number of people who didn't have power in the ice storm of 1998.

However, it is snowing today, so that'll slow progress a bit for the crews. There's already about 3 inches on the ground at my house and as the day progresses it's supposed to switch to an ice/snow mix.  Fun. 

I would suspect almost everyone will have power by Friday or Saturday.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BillB

Lost power yesterday for about 2 minutes. Guess to many people turned on their air conditioners
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JAFO78

Quote from: BillB on December 17, 2008, 12:44:39 PM
Lost power yesterday for about 2 minutes. Guess to many people turned on their air conditioners

:o :o ::) ::) >:D >:D
JAFO

PORed

It is going to be nuts up here in Maine on Sunday (tomorrow) night, I am getting weather reports on 12-18 inches of snow and 40-50 kt winds. PaulR and I are at the same unit, we might have to break out the MREs and Generators for this one, being I think we are going to get snowed in at work.

JAFO78

Hey you gentleman stay safe and keep us posted.  8)

And didn't someone say Global Warming? Yea right.  ::)
JAFO

jimmydeanno

If it's any consolation, I got 18 inches yesterday and about 6 more already today...  so it's coming your way  >:D

Time to put the snow shoes into the 24 hour pack :)

notaNCO forever

I got 7 inches of snow yesterday and about 4 inches today so far. Fun to drive in.

jimmydeanno

Oh, this is good.  Pulled this from the Mount Washington Observatory website:

Current Weather Conditions:

Temperature: -10.2F
Wind Speed: 93.4 mph (sustained)
Wind Gusts: 105.9 mph
Wind Chill: -53.5F

It's a good thing it isn't cold yet!

PaulR

Yep... this global warming is kicking my butt!  It was 12F yesterday and I got close to two feet of snow at my house.  This is the first white Christmas I have seen in a long time.  Dont get me wrong... it gets cold up here in Maine, but it is not usually this bad until about Jan/Feb.

SarDragon

Quote from: PaulR on December 23, 2008, 02:36:46 AM
Yep... this global warming is kicking my butt!  It was 12F yesterday and I got close to two feet of snow at my house.  This is the first white Christmas I have seen in a long time.  Dont get me wrong... it gets cold up here in Maine, but it is not usually this bad until about Jan/Feb.

Where you at in Maine? Pawtland?

There usta be a weather guesser at one of the Pawtland stations back in the early '70s whose favorite forecast in the winter was "partly cloudy". I have shoveled anywhere from two to twenty-four inches of his freaking "partly cloudy" during four winters in Brunswick.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

We got about 14 inches of "partly cloudy" this weekend here in CT. Perfect timing on the new snowblower, which came out of the box last Friday!