Different Types of Suqadrons

Started by AvroArrow, September 13, 2008, 03:00:29 PM

RiverAux

CAP squadrons have had both a charter number and a name since the early 1950s.  Before that they just names, based on geographic location (Smithville Squadron). 

DC

I worded that poorly. I meant go to a numbered system, I know CAP did not do that in the past. My bad.

RiverAux

Understood. 

Actually you can have a numbered squadron name if you'd like.  Several wings have all their squadrons named something like "55th Composite Squadron" in addition to their chartered numbers. 

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2008, 06:49:19 PM
Understood. 

Actually you can have a numbered squadron name if you'd like.  Several wings have all their squadrons named something like "55th Composite Squadron" in addition to their chartered numbers. 
Yes, I have seen it done. But I would like to see it as a standardized thing.. Just more professional sounding IMO.

RiverAux

QuoteJust more professional sounding IMO
Depends on your point of view.  For most of American history many of our military units had geographically-based names.  It wasn't until World War I that we dropped that convention. 

Personally, I am in favor of a numeric system combined with a description of that squadron's primary mission.  Under that I think cadet squadrons would still be called cadet squadrons since the cadet program would still be their primary purpose.  However, composite and senior squadrons would be called something like "99th Rescue Squadron".  Yeah, yeah, I know there are those on this board who think any claim that we actually rescue anyone is invalid.  My alternative would be "99th Reconnaissance Squadron" which would cover SAR, DR, and HLS missions, but would leave out Ground SAR.  To avoid confusion with AF/Air NG units, I could also live with adding in the state name to the squadron's title (like old time militia units), for example "99th Indiana Reconnaisance Squadron" or "99th Indiana Rescue Squadron".

DC

^That implies a limit to the capability of a squadron. If you are in the 99th Rescue Squadron, can you participate in Counter Drug missions, or are you limited exclusively to SAR?

Eclipse

We are not staffed for operational unit designation, nor do we have enough units left to artificially and unnecessarily limit participation.

Any unit can setup internal teams to do whatever they want, but every unit, including Senior Squadrons, is supposed to participate fully in all three missions.  The fact that this requirement is not enforced properly notwithstanding.

If I were king, they'ed all be composite units and required to operate as such.

The same club mentality which precipitates slacker uniform combinations like shorts for aircrew, or members who look commanders in the face and say "I'm just here to fly, not be bothered with paperwork or cadets..." needs to be quelled, not encouraged.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

We're not going to find anything that is perfect due to the wide variety of activities we're engaged in.  However, military units are very often used for purposes other than that implied by their name, so its not like it would break any new ground.  

RiverAux

QuoteIf I were king, they'ed all be composite units and required to operate as such.

The same club mentality which precipitates slacker uniform combinations like shorts for aircrew, or members who look commanders in the face and say "I'm just here to fly, not be bothered with paperwork or cadets..." needs to be quelled, not encouraged.
Our existing designations already do that by focusing on the type of member we have rather than what they're doing. 

However, lets face it, "composite" is an absolutely horrible description to go with a unit name.  It means nothing and offers nothing in terms of whatever public relations benefit we can get out of a unit name.  I'm open to a lot of other alternatives, but "composite" stinks worse than senior or cadet. 

Eclipse

The lose "senior" and "cadet" and call them all "Squadrons", with the included requirement that they operate that way.

The individual membership designation does not indicate anything about their role or mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

The only problem I would have with them all being generic "Squadrons" or even something like "99th Civil Air Patrol Squadron" is that I really hate 4-digit numbers that go with military unit names and we would have to go into the low 1000s to accomodate all our units.  Who wants to be in the 1111th Squadron?  Also, the generic "squadron" doesn't help us any with public relations.  The current designations, which are mostly geographic-based at least help you link to the local community, which has its advantages, so if we change it at least has to be an improvement.   

Major Carrales

Can't say I would favor a "change for change's sake."

Get a load of this...
Corpus Christi Composite Squadron

1) Tells me where the unit is from
2) Tells me we have an active Senior and Cadet Program

What more is needed?  Seems like a person who reads about the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron would know more about the unit from the grography.  Making it some concotion on numbers will say even less than this.

SWR-TX-026

Or as it was before...

That would tell us that we were the 26th Unit of the Southwest Region's Texas Wing.  All things that mean nothing to persons not involved in CAP.  The latter has no significance to anyone and would likely even have CAP Officers from other Wings trying to find out which wing "42" is (shades of D. Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  :P)

Let's leave it as it is.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2008, 10:22:53 PM
The only problem I would have with them all being generic "Squadrons" or even something like "99th Civil Air Patrol Squadron" is that I really hate 4-digit numbers that go with military unit names and we would have to go into the low 1000s to accommodate all our units.  Who wants to be in the 1111th Squadron?  Also, the generic "squadron" doesn't help us any with public relations.  The current designations, which are mostly geographic-based at least help you link to the local community, which has its advantages, so if we change it at least has to be an improvement.   

No one says you have to use the designator publicly, PCR-CA-001 doesn't mean much on a business card, but "California Wing HQ" does.

The designator is an internal thing, the unit name is external for signage, insignia, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Carrales is right in that our current naming system is aimed primarily at telling other CAP members what your squadron does and where its from.  Thats fine as far as it goes, but it doesn't help us market our capabilities to other agencies upon which we depend so much.  I think we can get just a little more value out of our unit names.  

QuoteThe designator is an internal thing, the unit name is external for signage, insignia, etc.
I couldn't care less about the charter number.  I thought we were talking about unit names. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2008, 08:51:27 PM
QuoteJust more professional sounding IMO
Depends on your point of view.  For most of American history many of our military units had geographically-based names.  It wasn't until World War I that we dropped that convention. 

Personally, I am in favor of a numeric system combined with a description of that squadron's primary mission.  Under that I think cadet squadrons would still be called cadet squadrons since the cadet program would still be their primary purpose.  However, composite and senior squadrons would be called something like "99th Rescue Squadron".  Yeah, yeah, I know there are those on this board who think any claim that we actually rescue anyone is invalid.  My alternative would be "99th Reconnaissance Squadron" which would cover SAR, DR, and HLS missions, but would leave out Ground SAR.  To avoid confusion with AF/Air NG units, I could also live with adding in the state name to the squadron's title (like old time militia units), for example "99th Indiana Reconnaisance Squadron" or "99th Indiana Rescue Squadron".

Check this out.

Quote from: CAPR 20-3, Sec 5. How to Obtain Charters for New Unitsc. A proposed name for the unit. Unit names must include the following elements:

1) Identifying prefix - a short identifier, preferably associated with location (example: Shamrock, Dayton, Hot Springs, Midville, etc.). DO NOT use names such as "Black Sheep," "Flying Tigers," etc., or terms descriptive of major functions such as "Communications," "Jeep," or "Rescue," etc.

2) Type of unit (group, cadet squadron, senior squadron, composite squadron, or flight).

3) If the unit is to be named for an individual, the unit must obtain the individual's permission prior to submitting the charter application. If the individual is deceased, permission will be obtained from the nearest living relative. A statement will be typed on the reverse side of the CAPF 27 indicating that permission has been obtained.

4) In addition to the above, the sponsoring organization (if applicable) and a numerical suffix (if needed because of similarity of names) are permitted. Examples of acceptable names are: "Red Oak Composite Squadron," "Midvale Flight," "Miami Senior Squadron No. 2," "Manhattan Group IV," and "Bay City Optimist Cadet Squadron." NOTE: National Headquarters will edit names that are too long and/or contain undesirable elements.

I'm not sure how olde this rule is (at least since 1 May 1998), but it's there now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Yep, thats the one we've been talking about that needs changing (IMHO). 

MIKE

Why? Nobody pays any attention to it anyway.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Actually, there doesn't appear to be any squadron chartered in about the last 10 years that doesn't follow the squadron naming regulation except for a handful that went with 99th Composite Squadron type names.  The other squadrons were most likely named before that rule was in effect.