Different Types of Suqadrons

Started by AvroArrow, September 13, 2008, 03:00:29 PM

AvroArrow

I know there are three types (Cadet, Senior, and Composite), but I was wondering if anyone could help me find and/or give me some more defined info than what I already have  :angel:

Here's what I already know:

Cadet - All members are Cadets. All operations are run by cadets. Everything from planning speciali activites to doing cadet promotions and o-flights is planned byan by, and operated by in this squadron is cadets, cadets, and more cadets. You can have SMs in the squadron, but they're "Cadet Sponsers" and usually offer otherwise needed funding and transportation

Senior Squadron - Same thing as a Cadet squadron, but no cadets whatsoever and everything is run by SMs age 18+/21+

Compostie - Cadet and Senior Members. Deputy Commander for Cadets (DCC ?) is directly in charge (as well as the "chief" representative for) of the squadron's Cadets and is also the final say in things involving them (such as special activites, planning their meeting's schedule, etc.) Squadron Commander is responsible for everyone. Yadda, yadda, etc.  ::) ;)

Thanks,
Avro

RiverAux

Senior members are regular senior members in cadet squadrons and have official responsibility for everything that goes on.  The extent to which the cadets run things can vary quite a bit depending on the wishes of the squadron commander (a senior) and the cadets you have in it at any particular moment. 

DCC in composite squadron doesn't have final say on cadet issues, at least officially.  Squadron Commander is still in charge.  Now, in real life, the squadron commander may effectively let the DCC pretty much do their own thing. 

MIKE

Avro, you're dangerously overstating the level of cadet involvement in a Cadet Squadron... Well, in a well run unit with very competent CP seniors and phase III and IV cadets that's what we want you to think... but still a dangerous overstatement IMO.

I've seen what can happen to units when you let the inmates run the asylum in less than ideal conditions... It ain't pretty.

Quote from: CAPR 20-119. Squadrons. The squadron is the community-level organization of CAP. Wing commanders may activate squadrons whenever there is a minimum of 15 members of the unit, three of whom must be senior members. Whenever the membership drops below these minimums, the wing commander will deactivate the squadron or redesignate it as a flight. The designation of each squadron will indicate whether it is a:
a. Senior Squadron. Comprised entirely of senior members.
b. Cadet Squadron. Comprised primarily of cadets with a minimum of three senior members to meet supervisory, administrative, and training requirements in the conduct of cadet programs.
c. Composite Squadron. Comprised of both senior and cadet members, conducting both senior and cadet programs.
20. Flights. The flight is the smallest CAP membership unit authorized and must contain a minimum of eight members, three of whom must be seniors. Flights should be organized only in sparsely populated areas where there are an insufficient number of individuals to constitute a squadron.
a. A flight may be assigned either to a squadron, group, or wing at the discretion of the wing commander concerned.
b. If the membership drops below the minimum membership required, the flight will be deactivated. If
the membership increases to the minimum required for a squadron, the wing commander will redesignate the flight as a squadron.
c. Flights will use organizational charts established for a squadron of less than 50 senior members as a guide in establishing the unit.

Mike Johnston

AvroArrow

Quote from: MIKE on September 13, 2008, 04:00:50 PM
Avro, you're dangerously overstating the level of cadet involvement in a Cadet Squadron... Well, in a well run unit with very competent CP seniors and phase III and IV cadets that's what we want you to think... but still a dangerous overstatement IMO.

I've seen what can happen to units when you let the inmates run the asylum in less than ideal conditions... It ain't pretty.

Quote from: CAPR 20-119. Squadrons. The squadron is the community-level organization of CAP. Wing commanders may activate squadrons whenever there is a minimum of 15 members of the unit, three of whom must be senior members. Whenever the membership drops below these minimums, the wing commander will deactivate the squadron or redesignate it as a flight. The designation of each squadron will indicate whether it is a:
a. Senior Squadron. Comprised entirely of senior members.
b. Cadet Squadron. Comprised primarily of cadets with a minimum of three senior members to meet supervisory, administrative, and training requirements in the conduct of cadet programs.
c. Composite Squadron. Comprised of both senior and cadet members, conducting both senior and cadet programs.
20. Flights. The flight is the smallest CAP membership unit authorized and must contain a minimum of eight members, three of whom must be seniors. Flights should be organized only in sparsely populated areas where there are an insufficient number of individuals to constitute a squadron.
a. A flight may be assigned either to a squadron, group, or wing at the discretion of the wing commander concerned.
b. If the membership drops below the minimum membership required, the flight will be deactivated. If
the membership increases to the minimum required for a squadron, the wing commander will redesignate the flight as a squadron.
c. Flights will use organizational charts established for a squadron of less than 50 senior members as a guide in establishing the unit.

Well, thank you for correcting me, then :)
I was just under the impression a Cadet Squadron was the exact opposite of a Senior Squadron minus the CC being a SM. Now I know  ;D

Hope I didn't offend you? ???

MIKE

I just don't want you getting the wrong idea. :)
Mike Johnston

Pumbaa

QuoteCompostie - Cadet and Senior Members.

I had to laugh at the typo in the first post....  the thought came to mind that a senior squadron should be a "Compost" squadron   ;D

Sorry, it's been a loooong day... just my twisted humor..

Carry on...

Tubacap

Ironically, I just had a good laugh over the word compost about 30 seconds before reading this post!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

notaNCO forever

I like the analogy of us cadets being inmates in an asylum, seems sadly accurate at times.

LtCol057

I think some of the senior members I know should be in the asylum, because they already have the dementia. My self included.

SJFedor

Quote from: LtCol057 on September 17, 2008, 04:53:10 AM
I think some of the senior members I know should be in the asylum, because they already have the dementia. My self included.

We put crazy people in asylums. We put old people with dementia in nursing homes.  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: SJFedor on September 17, 2008, 05:53:58 AM

We put crazy people in asylums. We put old people with dementia in nursing homes.  :P

Or let them sign up as "Senior" Members....

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 17, 2008, 06:14:21 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on September 17, 2008, 05:53:58 AM

Or let them sign up as "Senior" Members....

Now come on down to the dining hall so you can get your applesauce.

notaNCO forever

My states wing HQ is actually at a mental hospital.

DC

Quote from: NCO forever on September 17, 2008, 06:03:03 PM
Dude... That's just creepy...

davedove

Quote from: DC on September 17, 2008, 07:18:51 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on September 17, 2008, 06:03:03 PM
Dude... That's just creepy...

But may be very appropriate. :o
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

LtCol057

No offense meant, but does that mean your Wing CC has a very short commute?  ;)

notaNCO forever

Nope but jokes have been made to that effect.

Earhart1971

Quote from: AvroArrow on September 13, 2008, 03:00:29 PM
I know there are three types (Cadet, Senior, and Composite), but I was wondering if anyone could help me find and/or give me some more defined info than what I already have  :angel:

Cadet - All members are Cadets. All operations are run by cadets. Everything from planning speciali activites to doing cadet promotions and o-flights is planned byan by, and operated by in this squadron is cadets, cadets, and more cadets. You can have SMs in the squadron, but they're "Cadet Sponsers" and usually offer otherwise needed funding and transportation

Senior Squadron - Same thing as a Cadet squadron, but no cadets whatsoever and everything is run by SMs age 18+/21+

Compostie - Cadet and Senior Members. Deputy Commander for Cadets (DCC ?) is directly in charge (as well as the "chief" representative for) of the squadron's Cadets and is also the final say in things involving them (such as special activites, planning their meeting's schedule, etc.) Squadron Commander is responsible for everyone. Yadda, yadda, etc.  ::) ;)

Thanks,
Avro

Unfortunately, way back when, somebody thought it was a good idea to describe the function of the Squadron in the Name of the Squadron.

And it was mandated in the Reg  Organization of CAP.

I think it's a waste of INK.

Just call it a Squadron, first 5 seconds you can tell somebody that you don't do Cadets, and yada yada.

When you add words to the Title of the Squadron you take away the impact of the name.

Flame away.

DC

Quote from: Earhart1971 on September 21, 2008, 05:02:47 AM
Quote from: AvroArrow on September 13, 2008, 03:00:29 PM

Thanks,
Avro

Unfortunately, way back when, somebody thought it was a good idea to describe the function of the Squadron in the Name of the Squadron.

And it was mandated in the Reg  Organization of CAP.

I think it's a waste of INK.

Just call it a Squadron, first 5 seconds you can tell somebody that you don't do Cadets, and yada yada.

When you add words to the Title of the Squadron you take away the impact of the name.

Flame away.
I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, the AF has Fighter Squadrons, and Services Squadrons, etc. I do wish CAP would return to a numbered system, rather than having both a squadron name and a Charter number. Instead of SER-FL-999 you could have the 999th Composite SQ. They could keep an unofficical name, but to me it sounds more professional than the current system, as well as eliminating some confusion, some larger cities have multiple squadrons, with one or more squadrons having the city name in their name, which can and has caused confusion. Plus, its inline with what the AF does, which I think is always a good thing.