A CAP/BSA Venturing Squadron with Deuce-and-a-Half. Help, please.

Started by Eagle400, June 03, 2008, 07:10:06 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on June 03, 2008, 09:02:30 PM
I only have one issue with this topic - that it's here. CAP has a fancy new program called IG, and that is where your issue should have been brought not to a publicly accessible web site. If they find there is an issue they will handle it, if there is no issue and they do nothing then you can come here and gripe about it.

Yeah, but Smitty's not a member, so any complaint to an IG would likely get a "WTF?" response. So, he comes on here with his stir stick and agitates the nest until someons responds.

If no one responded, he wouldn't have a fun playground, would he?

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: CCSE on June 03, 2008, 08:31:54 PM

This is true, so long as the vehicle is authorized for use by CAP as outlined in CAPR 77-1.  According to this regulation, Deuce and a Half's don't qualify.

I never said or implied there was, sir.  The focus of this thread is on the regulations regarding CAP vehicles/vehicles being used to transport CAP members, and not legality.

I can think of at least 100 things that are prohibited by CAP regulations, but not illegal.

Is there something we are not making clear?  CAP doesn't own any buses either.  But, I find squadrons using buses to transport personnel all the time.   We can't  own airliners, but I use one to travel to CAP meetings.  And, if I could, I would have one parked near the local squadron for convenience. :D

If a "sponsor" loans the truck for their use, that's OK too.  I wish someone would loan me a "King Air" for my use.  Any one interested in loaning me exclusive use of a "King Air"?  ;D

CAP does not concern itself with an explorer post breaking BSA rules; even if it is duel chartered.  Our regs are pretty clear on this.  

I think this horse is dead.  But, if you still want to swing that bat.....

RiverAux

CCSE, this sounds like a very local issue that would be better taken up with the group or wing staff than sounding here.  If there is something wrong going on, it sounds like they've been willing to take action in the past and presumably would now. 

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on June 03, 2008, 09:15:10 PM
Yeah, but Smitty's not a member, so any complaint to an IG would likely get a "WTF?" response.

And that is one of the problems with CAP.  CAP is not the military.  As a private, volunteer 501(c) 3 organization, all citizens have the right to voice their opinions and complaints about CAP units in their own communities, and have those voices heard.

Also, I was a member of that squadron when the Deuce and a Half was confiscated by Group.  Interestingly, the same people who were responsible for the vehicle's confiscation are now part of the squadron leadership as members of the BSA.  So not only do I have a reason to be suspicious about the use of this vehicle by the squadron, I also have BTDT experience as well.

I apologize for not making that clear earlier in this thread.

Quote from: SarDragon on June 03, 2008, 09:15:10 PMSo, he comes on here with his stir stick and agitates the nest until someons responds.

If no one responded, he wouldn't have a fun playground, would he?

YMMV.

Considering I have not posted in a month, and have abstained from using my old posting style since then, your assertion is based on the assumption that I am the same way I once was.  However, this assumption is wrong.  I say this in the most polite manner I can.

It is also important to note that to anyone looking over this thread, he or she will find no language of mine that is designed to upset, annoy or cause discontent among those who read it as well as those who respond to it.

Also, you may want to know that "WT*" = circumventing the curse word filter.

Now, back to the topic.

Eagle400

Quote from: FW on June 03, 2008, 09:16:54 PM
Is there something we are not making clear?  CAP doesn't own any buses either.  But, I find squadrons using buses to transport personnel all the time.   We can't  own airliners, but I use one to travel to CAP meetings.  And, if I could, I would have one parked near the local squadron for convenience. :D

If a "sponsor" loans the truck for their use, that's OK too.  I wish someone would loan me a "King Air" for my use.  Any one interested in loaning me exclusive use of a "King Air"?  ;D

Okay, then a mistake has been made in the interpretation of CAPR 77-1, and the fault is on me.

Not a big deal in the slightest.

Quote from: FW on June 03, 2008, 09:16:54 PMCAP does not concern itself with an explorer post breaking BSA rules; even if it is duel chartered.  Our regs are pretty clear on this.

You are correct.  However, there is nothing in CAP or BSA regulations that prohibits citizens who are not members of those organizations from voicing their opinions, concerns and complaints regarding units within the boundaries of their communities.

For example, when a Mayor sends a certificate of appreciation to a CAP or BSA unit, he or she is voicing their opinion on the exemplary performance of that unit, and has a right to be heard.  Conversely, a concerned citizen voicing a complaint about the unit also has the right to be heard.

Unlike many things in life, when it comes to this, folks can have it both ways.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on June 03, 2008, 09:30:57 PM
If there is something wrong going on, it sounds like they've been willing to take action in the past and presumably would now.

That's a well-educated presumption, but the current GRP/CC is a different individual than the GRP/CC who became aware of the misuse of the Deuce and a Half and confiscated it as a result.

It is also important to note that the current GRP/CC was the commander of the squadron that lost the Deuce and a Half a while back.  Not only that, but the former CAP members who abused the privilege of using a Deuce and a Half for CAP are now members of the BSA group that is attached to the very same squadron they left.

If anyone would like a character synopsis of those two individuals, please shoot me a PM.

Duke Dillio

I have seen a variety of different vehicles used in CAP in my time.  I've been on buses used during an encampment to transport us around.  They were not owned by CAP but a CAP officer was driving it.  At my first encampment at Ft. Belvoir, VA, we were bused to Andrews AFB where we were loaded on a USAF aircraft (can't remember but I think it was something like a 737) and flown to Wright Patterson AFB to visit the USAF museum.  I know of a CAP squadron in the Oakland area which owns two military style generators on trailers.  In another wing, during several CAP activities, I was loaded into HMMWV's and duece and a halfs and 5 ton trucks along with one ride in an FMTV.

I don't think anyone is launching any sort of personal attack here.  I also think the point has been made.  CAP is not allowed to OWN Humvees or duece and a halfs or buses.  Nowhere in CAPR 77-1 does it say that CAP members cannot own or operate such vehicles.  In fact, IIRC there is a member in one of these wings who owns a Hummer 2 and uses it for SAR missions.  I also seem to recall a member in another wing who owns his own personal helicopter and uses it for SAR missions.  This may or may not be in violation of CAPR 60-1 but I don't know if he flies it on his own or as a CAP member.  IMHO if helicopters werent' so expensive to fly, I would be all for using them in CAP ES.  My suggestion is that he probably does like some other people that I know which is once he gets the word, the CAP jacket comes off and he is a civilian doing whatever it is that he needs to do to get the job done.

I like hearing the stories about ground teams with EMT's and nurses on them when they find survivors.  I have heard of people calling the mission base and asking to be signed out so that they could provide advanced aid without violating the regs.

Grumpy

Hmmm, me thinks there might be some sower grapes here with regards to the original post.

Eagle400

Quote from: Eclipse on June 03, 2008, 11:07:27 PM
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra would be proud...

You bet he would! 

And with that, every claim made by two individuals on this forum about my "terrible" grammatical and literary skills goes right down the toilet.

RiverAux

Quote from: CCSE on June 03, 2008, 11:29:19 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on June 03, 2008, 09:30:57 PM
If there is something wrong going on, it sounds like they've been willing to take action in the past and presumably would now.

That's a well-educated presumption, but the current GRP/CC is a different individual than the GRP/CC who became aware of the misuse of the Deuce and a Half and confiscated it as a result.

It is also important to note that the current GRP/CC was the commander of the squadron that lost the Deuce and a Half a while back.  Not only that, but the former CAP members who abused the privilege of using a Deuce and a Half for CAP are now members of the BSA group that is attached to the very same squadron they left.

Then make a report to Wing staff.  Not sure why this is an issue for the board unless you've gone through the proper channels and been shut down. 

BuckeyeDEJ

I remember CAP having buses in the 1980s -- yes, full-size AF blue buses with white tops (the white tops were authorized then) and the CAP seal by the door.

I remember CAP having generator trucks when I was a cadet in West Virginia.

But a deuce and a half? Uh, I can't imagine, though we were using a lot of DoD surplus back then.

Whatever. Not sure this is the place for tattling. If local commanders (group and wing included) won't do anything, there's a national hotline for fraud, waste and abuse. If you called it, and if you got shut down by national, you got shut down, so (to be blunt) STFU.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Johnny Yuma

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

FW

The question of the post:
"What options are available in preventing this Boy Scout group from continuing to use this unauthorized vehicle for CAP activities and defy CAP regulations?"

The answer:
Not one.

Why?
Answered, answered again.... and again.... and again.... and again.... and again.... and again.... and again.... and.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

CCSE,  I'm not one to complain however, can't we just move along?  You've stated your opinion.  Everyone else has stated their's.   Before we degenerate into the children we really are  ;) maybe we should end this thread.  

Note:  Back in "the day", our squadron had a bus and a duece and a half.  Bus got too expensive to run.  Truck became toxic waste dump.  Ahhhh, the memories.

Eagle400

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PM
I have seen a variety of different vehicles used in CAP in my time.  I've been on buses used during an encampment to transport us around.  They were not owned by CAP but a CAP officer was driving it.

Was he driving it as a CAP officer, or as a regular citizen? 

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMAt my first encampment at Ft. Belvoir, VA, we were bused to Andrews AFB where we were loaded on a USAF aircraft (can't remember but I think it was something like a 737) and flown to Wright Patterson AFB to visit the USAF museum.

Cool.  I attended a Space and Missile Orientation Course at Vandenberg AFB, and transportation was provided via Air Force busses driven by CAP officers who were also USAF personnel authorized to drive such vehicles. 

At COS in 2003, I rode with two other cadets in an Air Force vehicle driven by a USAFR Major.  This was awesome, because I and the two other cadets were the first ones to arrive at National Headquarters.  There were 101 cadets enrolled as students that year, and all 98 of the other students came to join us 30 minutes after we arrived.

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMI know of a CAP squadron in the Oakland area which owns two military style generators on trailers.  In another wing, during several CAP activities, I was loaded into HMMWV's and duece and a halfs and 5 ton trucks along with one ride in an FMTV.

Were these HMMWV's, Deuce and a Halfs, 5 ton trucks and the one FMTV the property of DoD, or CAP?  I am assuming none of those vehicles were privately owned, because it is highly improbable for someone to come across so many military vehicles that are privately owned.  That is, unless you are at a Deuce and a Half convention. 

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMI don't think anyone is launching any sort of personal attack here.  I also think the point has been made.
Thanks for taking the time to notice.

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMCAP is not allowed to OWN Humvees or duece and a halfs or buses.  Nowhere in CAPR 77-1 does it say that CAP members cannot own or operate such vehicles.  In fact, IIRC there is a member in one of these wings who owns a Hummer 2 and uses it for SAR missions.

It is not clear to me whether or not this Deuce is owned by the squadron.

However, if the individuals responsible for having the vehicle taken away the first time are back at the squadron as adult leaders of the BSA, it is not hard for me to imagine them allowing the squadron to claim the Deuce as property of CAP.

This is the last time I will bring up the individuals in question, so if anyone would like to know how I came to develop my suspicion, just send me a PM.

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMI also seem to recall a member in another wing who owns his own personal helicopter and uses it for SAR missions.  This may or may not be in violation of CAPR 60-1...

It is. 

Why helicopters are prohibited for SAR missions in CAP is beyond me, but unfortunately that is the present state of things. 

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PM...but I don't know if he flies it on his own or as a CAP member.

You may want to find out.  Especially if this person is a friend of yours who cares about his membership in CAP. 

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMIMHO if helicopters werent' so expensive to fly, I would be all for using them in CAP ES.  My suggestion is that he probably does like some other people that I know which is once he gets the word, the CAP jacket comes off and he is a civilian doing whatever it is that he needs to do to get the job done.

Well, your guess is as good as mine.  I don' t know if it is allowed or forbidden by 60-1 for someone to switch from being a CAP member to being a concerned citizen for the purpose of providing additional support on a SAR mission.

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 03, 2008, 11:50:51 PMI like hearing the stories about ground teams with EMT's and nurses on them when they find survivors.  I have heard of people calling the mission base and asking to be signed out so that they could provide advanced aid without violating the regs.

Having been part of both a ground team and mission base (Mission Comm.), I have worked with ES personnel who have the same attitude, and I highly respect them.

The common belief that only military personnel are America's Finest is false.  America's Finest consists of any American who is willing to give his or her life so that others may live.

The same goes for prestige of service.  Any service (military or otherwise) that involves the saving of human life at the risk of personal injury or death is the highest form of service in America. 

mikeylikey

I think we have like 80 different threads on CAP buses, vans and vehicles.  I also think the point has been made by both sides here.  Everyone is just typing the same crap over and over again.   :clap:   

A Lock would be awesome at this time!   
What's up monkeys?

Eagle400

I  agree.

However, before the lockdown happens, I must share with you all the visual representation of the Chain of Command for the Ventura Military Explorers:

♠SARKID♠

QuoteTruck became toxic waste dump.

The front axel dropped out of ours while driving down the interstate at speed.  The Colonel talking on the radio as it dropped was understandably forgiven for his language.  (This was a couple decades ago, long before my time)

whatevah

Quote from: CCSE on June 04, 2008, 02:31:34 AMIt is not clear to me whether or not this Deuce is owned by the squadron.

Then, IMNSHO, drop your witch hunt until you find out.  If you find out that that vehicle is officially owned and registered to that squadron, I'll send you a case of root beer, and a cookie.   If not...  I think you owe the unit an apology on here... as public as your allegations.     Until then...  consider the discussion closed.

Lock.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin