Winter 2008 National Board Agenda

Started by JC004, February 07, 2008, 05:50:52 AM

JC004

Major Carrales

Boonie Hats and Blue Sleeve Braid for the Corportate Service Coat...youse guys need to check this out!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CASH172

I've been waiting for the NB to finally approve the nametapes and command patch.  I get the distinct feeling many will abuse the boonie hat rights if approved. 

arajca

They tried the same rationale for the boonie a couple years ago and the AF not only said no, they said Hell NO! I don't see the point in continually bringing the same item up.

To avoid confusion with very senior AF officers, CAP should change the silver sleeve braid to blue on the sorporate service jacket. Interesting logic.

Has anyone seen the design for the Achievement Award?

PhoenixRisen

Wasn't the CAP Achievement Medal a CAPTALKer's idea?

FW

Is there any reason we can't go back to the pre-Aug 2006 command patch?

jimmydeanno

You know, I think that this is just plain dumb.

I don't understand why simple decisions like 90% of the ones in this agenda are even brought to the NB.  Are there no other issues in the organization that need to be dealt with that we need to have 80 people decide whether or not we come up with a comm training plan or record mission pilot hours?

Most of this crap is administrative stuff.  "Hey guys, let's vote on whether or not to change the NHQ phone number in this regulation - because changing regulations requires a vote."

What a bureaucratic waste of time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

Quote from: arajca on February 07, 2008, 07:32:26 AM

To avoid confusion with very senior AF officers, CAP should change the silver sleeve braid to blue on the corporate service jacket. Interesting logic.

Are these people on crack?  The rationale for making some of these changes appear to be dreamed up by five year old kids.  

I don't agree with the majority of the proposals!  When they actually put together a coherent and logical reasoning for changing things, I would then support it.  

Boonie Hats won't fly (thats what sunscreen is for).  Changing the sleeve braid won't fly.  Adding NCO chevrons to the blackwindbreaker won't fly.  

Did anyone from the Uniform Committee put these suggestions across?  Wasn't that the whole reason for creating that committee??

I am glad to see them creating more awards, more PD requirements....but not rationale that makes sense!

What's up monkeys?

dwb

I do like Stan Skrabut's suggestions about putting more stuff in e-Services for approval, like the professional development awards.

Having an NHQ uniform committee isn't going to prevent Wing CCs from introducing agenda items, as evident by this agenda.  I support removing the silver braids from the corporate service coat, I think they look terrible.

And I wish they'd just return to the original command patch design.  I still have mine, I bet a lot of people do.  If the NB is interested in helping the volunteers save some money, then going back to the original design is the way to go.

Quote from: CASH172 on February 07, 2008, 06:29:59 AM
I've been waiting for the NB to finally approve the nametapes and command patch.  I get the distinct feeling many will abuse the boonie hat rights if approved. 
'

The way I read the agenda item the boonie hat wouldn't be authorized for everyday wear.  It would only be an option at the discretion of the project commander. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 07, 2008, 02:24:43 PM
I don't agree with the majority of the proposals!  When they actually put together a coherent and logical reasoning for changing things, I would then support it. 

Actually, contrary to what people posting here might imply, there's only about 4 uniform-related items on the 58-page agenda.  How we always manage to skip right past the non-uniform proposals and bring up the few things related to bling, I don't know.

Quote from: dwb on February 07, 2008, 03:05:54 PM
I do like Stan Skrabut's suggestions about putting more stuff in e-Services for approval, like the professional development awards.

Absolutely.  I saw the NHQ/IT comment about cadet awards being online on E-services soon.  Very exciting.  Makes complete sense now that you can email a SIMS-generated CAPF 52-X, which really only contains the members name/CAPID and the dates they completed their achievements for that phase.  You effectively remove the step of the squadron generating the CAPF 52-X, making it a PDF and emailing it and NHQ manually processing that info and entering it into CAPWATCH.  Squadrons enter into CAPWATCH interface, which checks data against a set of rules, and if accepts it processes the award puts the onus on the squadrons and reduces an already high burden on the hard-working staff at NHQ.  You have the love it! 

I hope, however, that an ICL gets issued to formally change the regulated process.  Right now, there's no formal changes for things like E-Services promotions, specialty ratings, etc.

Quote from: dwb on February 07, 2008, 03:05:54 PMHaving an NHQ uniform committee isn't going to prevent Wing CCs from introducing agenda items, as evident by this agenda.

You're right, having a committee doesn't stop board members from directly submitting agenda items.  However, a committee can give their recommendations on proposals and the board often forwards new business items to the appropriate committee for consideration, investigation and comment before voting on them. 

Ideally, uniform changes proposed directly to the NB would be deferred to the uniform committee for consideration - meaning a full year before it can be considered again.  A wise NB member would instead recommend it to the committee first, so it can be voted on at the next NB meeting.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on February 07, 2008, 03:20:13 PM
Quote from: CASH172 on February 07, 2008, 06:29:59 AM
'

The way I read the agenda item the boonie hat wouldn't be authorized for everyday wear.  It would only be an option at the discretion of the project commander. 
How many members will keep their boonies with the bdu's all the time - to have ready for missions - and convienently forget to bring their bdu cap the the meetings? "Oops, I left my bdu cap on the counter. [darn], I'll just have to wear my boonie, since I need to wear headgear with the bdu." I've heard that about berets even BEFORE they were authorized through out CAP and when they were PROHIBITED by wing policy!

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on February 07, 2008, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on February 07, 2008, 02:24:43 PM
I don't agree with the majority of the proposals!  When they actually put together a coherent and logical reasoning for changing things, I would then support it. 

Actually, contrary to what people posting here might imply, there's only about 4 uniform-related items on the 58-page agenda.  How we always manage to skip right past the non-uniform proposals and bring up the few things related to bling, I don't know.
Uniform items are the easiest to comment on. I don't think most us have had the time to thoroughly think through the other items. After all, the agenda hasn't even been up for 12 hours yet.

Hawk200

Line of succesion item is definitely needed. An issue like we had shows that it needs to be addressed.

I think that requiring some further PD for other promotions is a good idea too. Got a member in our unit that's a retired ArNG colonel, but he's chosen to move through the PD program. Says he enjoys the classes, and the opportunity to meet other members.

I like the addition of additional permitted courses for Level IV and V completion. Now, if they would allow encampment attendance in place of a wing conference, it would be great. Always found it ironic that a Saturday afternoon counts for PD, but a week at an encampment in a staff position didn't.

The online PD award processing is pretty practical too. Gotta log it there anyway, why use a separate method of processing?

I'm a little leery of the "Achievement Award". The concept is a good one, but I can see some people wearing a half dozen of these things inside of a few years. If there is a stipulation that only a certain number can be earned in a certain time period, I'd be okay with it. It needs some limits.

I am glad to see the limit on ribbons and badges removed. Mini ribbons would be nice, we could use them considering some our members have more than the typical Air Force member does. Reducing the size of the rack with smaller ribbons would be nicer in that you can wear more with less real estate being used.

A few good things in there. Hope we get some positive changes.

Eeyore

^ We could just make the CC more difficult to achieve, those are already handed out like candy. Make the Achievement Award as "difficult" as a CC is to get now, and only give the CC's to actions that are actually deserving of it.

arajca

The CC is not supposed to be easy to get, it's that it is consistantly misused. The current options are:
1. Commander's Commendation
2. Certificate of Appreciation
3. swift kick in the can Pat on the back

Many times the commander wants to give someone an award that they can show off easily, but doesn't really meet the requirements for the Commander's Commandation. Usually, a wing commander can be talked into approving it because of the lack of lower level awards.

The most constant misuse of the Commander's Commendation is to staff members at the end of a commander's term. I had proposed, a few years ago, a Staff Service Ribbon. This would be awarded using the same scheme as the Red Service ribbon, just only for staff service time. As you can see, it went nowhere.

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 07, 2008, 04:28:43 PM
I am glad to see the limit on ribbons and badges removed. Mini ribbons would be nice, we could use them considering some our members have more than the typical Air Force member does. Reducing the size of the rack with smaller ribbons would be nicer in that you can wear more with less real estate being used.

I've only had a chance to glance over the agenda where was that listed? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Pylon

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on February 07, 2008, 05:16:27 PM

It's not on the agenda.  I believe Hawk was offering it as his alternate suggestion for members with large ribbon racks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Quote from: Pylon on February 07, 2008, 05:19:31 PM

It's not on the agenda.  I believe Hawk was offering it as his alternate suggestion for members with large ribbon racks.

Ok I thought I might have missed something.  I'm going to sit down and read this whole thing tonight. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

ßτε

Agenda Item 22