Questions about squadron property/assets Squadron level LG

Started by mynetdude, February 07, 2008, 05:38:02 AM

mynetdude

Quote from: Ned on February 07, 2008, 07:07:07 PM
A brief review of the law of gifts:

A gift is the present, voluntary transfer of property to another.  To be effective, it must actually be delivered to, and accepted by the person or entity receiving the gift.

Once the gift is delivered and accepted, the property now belongs to the donee, who can do anything they wish with it.  The donor does not retain any rights to control the property or compel its return.

For charities -- like CAP -- it is possible under most state laws to give a "restricted gift" if both the donor and CAP agree to the restrictions.  This has the effect of CAP essentially holding the gift in trust as long as CAP complies with the restrictions.  Remember, CAP does not have to agree to accept the restrictions.  And indeed, CAP does not usually do so because of the difficulties inherent in tracking all restricted gifts and the potential for litigation and problems should the restrictions become difficult to meet.  This is also one of the reasons why CAP officers must accept gifts above a certain level -- to help make sure that both the donor and CAP understand what is happening to the property.

In contrast, "loaning" property to someone else (what lawyers would call a "bailment") just transfers possession, not ownership.  The person who receives the loaned property must normally care for it and return it to the owner as agreed.  Issues sometimes arise when the owner never seeks the return of the property, essentially abandoning it.  Or when the person holding the property loses or commingles the loaned property.

Things get really fuzzy in a CAP context where it is not uncommon to have some property at a unit that nobody really knows the origin or who actually owns it.

Logistics Officer:  "That radio/projector/trailer was 'loaned' to unit back in 1992 by SM whatshizname who stopped coming back in 1996, I think.  Since I heard it wasn't really CAP property, we never entered it into the system."

That's why it is so important to document all property.  It is nearly impossible to try to reconstruct everyone's intentions years down the line.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

Well put, thats why our former LG officer was adamant, EVERYTHING that moves through our unit gets logged, loaned or donated and it gets a label affixed to it or a signage of some sort identifying it as such.  And he went on to say "even Donuts should be logged in expendables, but it doesn't because nobody cares"

I'm only asking for insight, not for sure answers, I would always still consult with my wing LG who happens to be a 2d Lt just as much as I am. This is a question so that I can get clarification on the regs and understand without having some clouded understanding when conversing with the wing LG officer in the near future.

mynetdude

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 07, 2008, 06:48:00 PM
We don't track it in CATS.  However, I'd hate to see you get dinged because some guy on CAPTalk you never met told you something.  The best bet is to CYA and get the LG above you to give you a definitive answer as to what they expect.

As I said in my very last post, this information on the forums is just for insight, not a "I told you so" manner.  So YMMV depending on wings and their supplements as far as CATS logging and/or limits on property value that a unit can accept. Although it does indicate that private property donations are optionally tracked based on region/wing regs if required.

davedove

Also understand that loaning something to a unit is not really a donation, at least not for the tax code.  If the lender retains ownership, he hasn't really donated the property.   In order for it to count as a deductible donation, all rights to the property must transfer to the recipient.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

mynetdude

Quote from: davedove on February 07, 2008, 08:07:25 PM
Also understand that loaning something to a unit is not really a donation, at least not for the tax code.  If the lender retains ownership, he hasn't really donated the property.   In order for it to count as a deductible donation, all rights to the property must transfer to the recipient.

Good point, so they don't receive a tax receipt, just a receipt showing they own it and we are borrowing it. At least you'd want to give them something in writing that documents such understanding right?

badger bob

Remember we are looking at IRS regulations, CAP requirements on Donations, the CAP structure that says only a Wing Commander is the sole authorized representative, and the CAPR 67-1 that also imposes AF requirements.

CAP ends up having to follow the strictest of all requirements.

ON PROPERTY
There is a complicated table  for property accountability in 67-1, because the property regulation is a mixture IRS, AF, Corporate, and legal requirements.

Some property is documented because of its source- IE DOD-surplus, DOD-funded, CAP corporate funded.
Other property is listed because a agency has asked for accountability and can ask for the property back- Property from DEA, Customs, or some states.

Other property is documented because of its use.
Computers are always tracked regardless of source. Any computer disposal must follow DOD disposal instructions due to OPSEC concerns. Radios are always tracked for the same reason.

Other property is tracked because it is sensitive- IE night vision equipment

Donated property may be tracked due to IRS regulations. If we write out a donation receipt for that $50,000 airplane that Col Joe wants to donate- but dispose of it when we find out it is junk- we have IRS reporting requirements that might reduce that $50,000 tax benefit that Col Joe wanted.

Finally, property is tracked to comply with common accounting procedure. Items valued over $5,000 etc etc

If you have loaned property, please document the loan with a letter in your property files and mark the equipment as such. If it is not documented, it is not "loaned" it is found on base.

If you have donated equipment that was not previously documented, I would encourage you to document the ones as donated that you can demonstrate were truly donations. A letter of donation is sufficient if the donor can be located. If the donor did not receive a tax benefit, by using the depreciated value of the item, the squadron commander may be able to accept. Your wing finance officer or logistics officer can help.

When in doubt, please check with your wing logistics staff before entering property into CATS.

A local commander can request items be tracked using CATS that are not accountable by all the above rules
As an example, a locally purchased wireless router probably does not require listing in CATS but the commander may want it tracked. There is the ability to list non-accountable property in CATS, but wing/ NHQ staff need to make the proper entries. The property will be issued a CAP asset number, but will not be part of a property audit or compliance inspection.

Local property that is non-accountable still requires the wing commanders approval for disposal. Remember, all property belongs to the corporation and he is the corporate officer.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Quote from: mynetdude on February 07, 2008, 08:35:21 PM
Quote from: davedove on February 07, 2008, 08:07:25 PM

Good point, so they don't receive a tax receipt, just a receipt showing they own it and we are borrowing it. At least you'd want to give them something in writing that documents such understanding right?

Very good point
This is a reason why the wing commander signs reciepts for donations. The property and its control must transfer to the corporation to be deductible. A squadron commander can usually accept small amounts of cash or expendable supplies, but larger amounts of cash or non-expendable supplies are acknowledeged by the (non-profit federally chartered) corporation.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Quote from: mynetdude on February 07, 2008, 07:39:27 PM
Quote from: Ned on February 07, 2008, 07:07:07 PM
A brief review of the law of gifts:

A gift is the present, voluntary transfer of property to another.  To be effective, it must actually be delivered to, and accepted by the person or entity receiving the gift.

Once the gift is delivered and accepted, the property now belongs to the donee, who can do anything they wish with it.  The donor does not retain any rights to control the property or compel its return.

For charities -- like CAP -- it is possible under most state laws to give a "restricted gift" if both the donor and CAP agree to the restrictions.  This has the effect of CAP essentially holding the gift in trust as long as CAP complies with the restrictions.  Remember, CAP does not have to agree to accept the restrictions.  And indeed, CAP does not usually do so because of the difficulties inherent in tracking all restricted gifts and the potential for litigation and problems should the restrictions become difficult to meet.  This is also one of the reasons why CAP officers must accept gifts above a certain level -- to help make sure that both the donor and CAP understand what is happening to the property.

In contrast, "loaning" property to someone else (what lawyers would call a "bailment") just transfers possession, not ownership.  The person who receives the loaned property must normally care for it and return it to the owner as agreed.  Issues sometimes arise when the owner never seeks the return of the property, essentially abandoning it.  Or when the person holding the property loses or commingles the loaned property.

Things get really fuzzy in a CAP context where it is not uncommon to have some property at a unit that nobody really knows the origin or who actually owns it.

Logistics Officer:  "That radio/projector/trailer was 'loaned' to unit back in 1992 by SM whatshizname who stopped coming back in 1996, I think.  Since I heard it wasn't really CAP property, we never entered it into the system."

That's why it is so important to document all property.  It is nearly impossible to try to reconstruct everyone's intentions years down the line.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

Well put, thats why our former LG officer was adamant, EVERYTHING that moves through our unit gets logged, loaned or donated and it gets a label affixed to it or a signage of some sort identifying it as such.  And he went on to say "even Donuts should be logged in expendables, but it doesn't because nobody cares"

I'm only asking for insight, not for sure answers, I would always still consult with my wing LG who happens to be a 2d Lt just as much as I am. This is a question so that I can get clarification on the regs and understand without having some clouded understanding when conversing with the wing LG officer in the near future.

I have had some discussions with NHQ on this subject, and it shows the importance of documenting loans and donations.
Loaned items are not property of CAP and are not entered into CATS. Loaned items are under the control of the owner and must be returned and used according to their instructions.
A donated item is the property of CAP and is entered into CATS.
A loaned item that is no longer under the control of the owner- owner cant be found, never gave instructions, or left town- becomes "found on base". The control is still the responsibility of the wing, but disposition then requires DRMO disposition.

The slippery slope that is out there is the "non-profit booster club". There is a concern that some squadrons conduct fund raising as "CAP" but then have cash or property diverted to " local good old boys flying club CAP-XX-XXX". There are upcoming rewrites on the booster clubs, along with conflict of interest requirements requiring separation of the interests of the booster club from active members of CAP.  If you have property on loan from a booster club, please do more than write in magic marker "property of good old boys". You should have a letter documenting the loan of equipment from the officers of the booster club documenting the loan. Those booster club officers should not be active CAP members but could be family or parents of active members.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Sorry about duplication, I am trying to work backwards through this thread

Well the item I'm speaking of as I mentioned or I think I mentioned (I wrote so many versions of my questions after deleting them a few times  ???) One of the items is a video-conferencing device of some kind it is propriety and requires another "set" unit like it to work AFAIK from the
previous LG officer. The Squadron has never used it, doesn't have a need for it now.

It comes in several major pieces: It has a flatbed scanner of some kind, 27" TV anchored to a rolling cart, camera that goes on top of the TV and some kind of hardware that looks like a PC tower I guess this unit's job is to coordinate the feed to and from the other unit somewhere else.  It was a private donation from Providence Hospital but we only got ONE of these, the other one is somewhere up north at another hospital (if they even still use it).

If I were called, this would be my advice. Of course, your wing logistics officer may have different advice and they can call NHQ for clarification.

If you have equipment laying around that is unneeded or non-working, and it is not entered into CATS, it has no value to CAP either locally or as a corporation. What you have is junk and not an asset regardless of its original value. Perhaps originally it should have been documented- but was not- but its current status equals junk. That item should be disposed and removed from the property. If it is still in use locally, or if your wing officer can see a useful at another CAP location, then it should be entered into CATS.

2ndly we have a mighty old projector that disappeared off CATS with the CPIN number still affixed to the projector itself. It is indeed OLD and HEAVY so it has exceeded its life of being usefulness even though we used it last year during SLS as it was all we had.

CAP purged and wrote off old assets a number of years back. Wings had the opportunity to mark items for local disposal rather than DRMO disposal. Generally, those assets were prior to the previous 9xx,xxx series of CPIN numbers, and dated back 15 years or so. My guess is this projector was designated for local disposal but was kept because it was working and was useful. Have your wing logistics officer do a search. If it is useful and you are keeping it, enter it into CATS as found on base, if it is a computer projector. If it is an old overhead projector, it probably does not require addition to CATS. I would remove the old CPIN number if no longer valid.

There are a bunch of little things like 14" TVs and such I don't have a count for what they all are right now as several things are scattered all over the place.

In general. TVs and non-computer A/V equipment are considered expendable equipment. I would get specific guidance from your wing officer before entering them in CATS. Your squadron commander or your wing commander could request tracking as "non-accountable property" but NHQ must be notified so they are not included in National assets.

If I can be of assistance, please send me a PM and I will be happy to be more specific

Chris Klein, Capt, CAP
Great Lakes Region Supply Officer
Wisconsin Wing Supply Officer
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

mynetdude

QuoteOther property is documented because of its use.
Computers are always tracked regardless of source. Any computer disposal must follow DOD disposal instructions due to OPSEC concerns. Radios are always tracked for the same reason.

It is? Thats news to me, can you give me specifics to where I can find this? If that is true I need to know NOW not later.

badger bob

CAPR 67-1

Quote2-3. Non-expendable Property consists of items of a durable nature that are neither consumed nor lose their identity during periods of use. CAP property meeting the following conditions is considered non-expendable:
a. Property, regardless of source, having a useful life of more than 1 year and whose acquisition cost exceeds $5,000. Acquisition cost must be documented in CATS when the property is obtained.
b. All property, regardless of source, whose fair market value exceeds $2,000.
c. Items deemed "pilferable" and indicated as such in the ToA by NHQ /LGS or the region/wing commander. (See attachment 3 for examples of pilferable items.)
d. Life support equipment. Life support equipment is any pre-positioned property that protects, sustains, or saves human life (e.g., oxygen bottles, life rafts, etc.). It is tracked in CATS because it is essential for many missions and must be readily available at all times.
e. Communications items and computers (laptop/desktop) are tracked for their useful life as indicated in the ToA.

Examples- not inclusive are shown in appendix 3 of CAPR 67-1
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

mynetdude

QuoteCAP purged and wrote off old assets a number of years back. Wings had the opportunity to mark items for local disposal rather than DRMO disposal. Generally, those assets were prior to the previous 9xx,xxx series of CPIN numbers, and dated back 15 years or so. My guess is this projector was designated for local disposal but was kept because it was working and was useful. Have your wing logistics officer do a search. If it is useful and you are keeping it, enter it into CATS as found on base, if it is a computer projector. If it is an old overhead projector, it probably does not require addition to CATS. I would remove the old CPIN number if no longer valid.

We're talking about a projector that uses a serial port to interface with video output to the lens.  This thing is the size of a monster computer and is extremely heavy.  If they purged it why isn't the squadron notified of a "purged" list so that the supply/LG officer can go "oh gee ok we have so and so purged, remove these CPINs and get them out of our way" instead of one day looking in CATS to see it disappear and go "oh well I guess its disposible in our back yard" or something like that.

According to regulation, whether it is tracked in CATS or not disposition instructions can vary and the squadron is not permitted to take it upon themselves to dispose of property however they want.

It is my understanding that property that were purchased with federal and corporate funds get tracked in CATS (and most likely will already be in CATS before we receive it as the WG LG will be handling that as it gets down to us) Property that comes from state funding is also to be tracked in CATS.

Here's where the blurr starts, property DONATED by the state does NOT have to be tracked in CATS, the commander can ELECT to have it tracked. Property donated from federal sources I believe have to be tracked in CATS as well.  Private donations do not unless there is significant value or the commander ELECTS to do so.

According to regulation, it doesn't say that unit commanders/LGs can accept any donations, though WING can stipulate that squadrons CAN accept donations up to XX dollars/dollar value for property which works as well.  Its all very confusing to me because of how our wing does things and doesn't always fit with the regs so I'm piecing it together slowly if not forever.

I have questions to ask the wing LG officer anyhow. So at least I should be on the right track.

I have stuff like RAM (if anyone remembers the old EDO and SDRAM) and hard drives between 850MB-15GB (formatted and some are nuked) that are not even accountable inventory that I have no clue what to do with yet.

mynetdude

Quote from: badger bob on February 10, 2008, 06:35:30 PM
CAPR 67-1

Quote2-3. Non-expendable Property consists of items of a durable nature that are neither consumed nor lose their identity during periods of use. CAP property meeting the following conditions is considered non-expendable:
a. Property, regardless of source, having a useful life of more than 1 year and whose acquisition cost exceeds $5,000. Acquisition cost must be documented in CATS when the property is obtained.
c. Items deemed "pilferable" and indicated as such in the ToA by NHQ /LGS or the region/wing commander. (See attachment 3 for examples of pilferable items.)
d. Life support equipment. Life support equipment is any pre-positioned property that protects, sustains, or saves human life (e.g., oxygen bottles, life rafts, etc.). It is tracked in CATS because it is essential for many missions and must be readily available at all times.
e. Communications items and computers (laptop/desktop) are tracked for their useful life as indicated in the ToA.

Somehow I missed E: I did see all the other stuff.  Well in that case, I will be reviewing what is tracked within the next few months. Its still ify I'll be doing a lot of reading and asking questions because the CAP-USAF LG director who came to do the inspection said that private donations (including computers) didn't need to be on CATS hence why none of our current computers are on CATS right now.

It is only confusing because of what one said vs what it says written by NHQ.  If we had paperwork that says otherwise then I'd have something to go on.

What if a computer is loaned to the squadron, can it be accepted? Because loaned property is usually not tracked in CATS as such.  We don't have any loaned property right now. 

badger bob

Quote from: mynetdude on February 10, 2008, 06:40:08 PM
QuoteCAP purged and wrote off old assets a number of years back. Wings had the opportunity to mark items for local disposal rather than DRMO disposal. Generally, those assets were prior to the previous 9xx,xxx series of CPIN numbers, and dated back 15 years or so. My guess is this projector was designated for local disposal but was kept because it was working and was useful. Have your wing logistics officer do a search. If it is useful and you are keeping it, enter it into CATS as found on base, if it is a computer projector. If it is an old overhead projector, it probably does not require addition to CATS. I would remove the old CPIN number if no longer valid.

We're talking about a projector that uses a serial port to interface with video output to the lens.  This thing is the size of a monster computer and is extremely heavy.  If they purged it why isn't the squadron notified of a "purged" list so that the supply/LG officer can go "oh gee ok we have so and so purged, remove these CPINs and get them out of our way" instead of one day looking in CATS to see it disappear and go "oh well I guess its disposible in our back yard" or something like that.

Probably not the only time things were done at the wing or region level without filtering down to the squadron. In any case, this was done before my time- maybe 10 years ago. My understanding is if it useful equipment that connects to a computer, it should be listed in CATS.

According to regulation, whether it is tracked in CATS or not disposition instructions can vary and the squadron is not permitted to take it upon themselves to dispose of property however they want.

If it needs to be listed in CATS as per 67-1 then it must be disposed of according to the instructions in 67-1. If it is not listed in CATS, then the local commander should make a determination as to wether it is useful. If not useful it is junk and we do not list junk as a asset.

It is my understanding that property that were purchased with federal and corporate funds get tracked in CATS (and most likely will already be in CATS before we receive it as the WG LG will be handling that as it gets down to us) Property that comes from state funding is also to be tracked in CATS.

Here's where the blurr starts, property DONATED by the state does NOT have to be tracked in CATS, the commander can ELECT to have it tracked. Property donated from federal sources I believe have to be tracked in CATS as well.  Private donations do not unless there is significant value or the commander ELECTS to do so.

According to regulation, it doesn't say that unit commanders/LGs can accept any donations, though WING can stipulate that squadrons CAN accept donations up to XX dollars/dollar value for property which works as well.  Its all very confusing to me because of how our wing does things and doesn't always fit with the regs so I'm piecing it together slowly if not forever.
Check with you wing LG but a donation from any source is still a donation. If your state donates a computer or digital camera it needs to be tracked in CATS. There is a source code State Funded, but it is still tracked in CATS even if it a outright donation. The title to the property is being transfered to CAP.

A used desk or used desk or old TV would ordinarily not be tracked, however if the state requires that they be returned to CAP when no longer used, they may require tracking. No first hand examples in my state, so check with your wing LG if this apples to you.

I have questions to ask the wing LG officer anyhow. So at least I should be on the right track.

I have stuff like RAM (if anyone remembers the old EDO and SDRAM) and hard drives between 850MB-15GB (formatted and some are nuked) that are not even accountable inventory that I have no clue what to do with yet.

Due to the OPSEC concerns, any computer hard drive removed from a CAP used computer should be destroyed or erased using a DOD approved hard drive wiping program.

RAM memory does not have AF radio frequencies burned to them, so they are ordinary junk if not useful.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Quote from: mynetdude on February 10, 2008, 06:46:28 PM
CAPR 67-1

Somehow I missed E: I did see all the other stuff.  Well in that case, I will be reviewing what is tracked within the next few months. Its still ify I'll be doing a lot of reading and asking questions because the CAP-USAF LG director who came to do the inspection said that private donations (including computers) didn't need to be on CATS hence why none of our current computers are on CATS right now.

It is only confusing because of what one said vs what it says written by NHQ.  If we had paperwork that says otherwise then I'd have something to go on.

What if a computer is loaned to the squadron, can it be accepted? Because loaned property is usually not tracked in CATS as such.  We don't have any loaned property right now. 

I would disagree with your CAP-USAF LG

From CAPR 67-1
Quote2-9. Property Donations. Individuals, business enterprises, foundations, state, and local governments may donate property to CAP. Acceptance of donations is authorized and encouraged, but units are to strictly follow CAPR 173-4, Fund Raising/Donations, procedures when receiving or selling donated property. Earmark all non-expendable property contributions as "Donation" in the "source" field of CATS and maintain a copy of the donation receipt in Part I of the Property File.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

mynetdude

Quote from: badger bob on February 10, 2008, 07:35:40 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on February 10, 2008, 06:46:28 PM
CAPR 67-1

I would disagree with your CAP-USAF LG

From CAPR 67-1
Quote2-9. Property Donations. Individuals, business enterprises, foundations, state, and local governments may donate property to CAP. Acceptance of donations is authorized and encouraged, but units are to strictly follow CAPR 173-4, Fund Raising/Donations, procedures when receiving or selling donated property. Earmark all non-expendable property contributions as "Donation" in the "source" field of CATS and maintain a copy of the donation receipt in Part I of the Property File.

I would disagree with my CAP-USAF LG with my limited knowledge, I've read that paragraph so many times it makes me want to rethink what the heck I'm doing.

I'll definetely be reading then contacting my wing LG and let him contact the CAP-USAF LG director and see what they can figure out.

fireplug

AFLR Logistics folks have to be familiar with the AIR FORCE rules that apply to CAP regarding supply/logistics and communications functions, not necessarily the CAPR's also associated with these programs. The two do conflict; and a close reading of some sections of 67-1 regarding record keeping conflict with each other. It is best to do what the AFLR/LG wants you do do, document the telling, and move on.

mynetdude

Quote from: fireplug on February 11, 2008, 01:19:15 AM
AFLR Logistics folks have to be familiar with the AIR FORCE rules that apply to CAP regarding supply/logistics and communications functions, not necessarily the CAPR's also associated with these programs. The two do conflict; and a close reading of some sections of 67-1 regarding record keeping conflict with each other. It is best to do what the AFLR/LG wants you do do, document the telling, and move on.

Honestly I can't say much more than what I know, until I know more I'll be reviewing all the S-3s to date, F38s, F37s etc and I will ask my commander for the inspection summary for our squadron to see if it contains any details that I could benefit from.  Hopefully somewhere in the LG files it will have information about what was transpired with the CAP-USAF this past summer as it is unlikely the inspection summary is going to contain this information.

I know we passed, I just don't know the details. And if I have to, I will email director of LG as appropriate. I already have his email, I just want to go through chain of command first to get the information I need.

badger bob

I would suggest that if you find a conflict in rules, that you ask your wing LG to resolve it. Your wing LG can request clarification from CAP-NHQ LG if necessary. As a CAP members, we need to follow the CAP regulations. If they appear to conflict with AF advice or AF regulations, that is a matter to be resolved at a wing level or higher.

My policy is to respond in writing wherever it is appropriate to a squadron request for clarification. The squadron officer at least has documentation that they followed procedure and requested clarification. A IG team or Audit team has the authority to write up a compliance finding against the wing LG or even CAP-NHQ LG if they are not following or interpreting the regs correctly based on what was found during a squadron inspection.

By the same token, the IG team can write a finding against CAP-USAF or the regional survey audit team if they are found to be following regulations.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

mynetdude

Quote from: badger bob on February 11, 2008, 01:51:46 AM

I would suggest that if you find a conflict in rules, that you ask your wing LG to resolve it. Your wing LG can request clarification from CAP-NHQ LG if necessary. As a CAP members, we need to follow the CAP regulations. If they appear to conflict with AF advice or AF regulations, that is a matter to be resolved at a wing level or higher.

My policy is to respond in writing wherever it is appropriate to a squadron request for clarification. The squadron officer at least has documentation that they followed procedure and requested clarification. A IG team or Audit team has the authority to write up a compliance finding against the wing LG or even CAP-NHQ LG if they are not following or interpreting the regs correctly based on what was found during a squadron inspection.

By the same token, the IG team can write a finding against CAP-USAF or the regional survey audit team if they are found to be following regulations.

This is why I want to go through my chain of command, so that they are aware of what I am trying to accomplish and so they know that "well gee, if this is what it really says we're supposed to do lets make sure all the squadrons are aware of it" rather than me trying to bypass protocol which I do have the ability to talk to region CAP-USAF LG director direct via email but I'm not going to do that unless I absolutely have to and hopefully I won't need to WG needs to support the squadrons; and most will/do support their squadrons (this isn't to say anyone is perfect either).

So I definetely will confirm with a brief post of what really happens when I find out what I want/need to know. Should be in a couple weeks :)