Main Menu

Feeling appreciated?

Started by RiverAux, December 17, 2007, 12:58:04 AM

RiverAux

It continues to surprise me how differently the active duty and Reserve Coast Guard members treat my CG Aux flotilla vs how the AF/AFR/ANG treat my CAP unit. 

Despite only having a handful of Coasties in my town, they are constantly interacting with us, attending our annual dinners, and every once in a while attending regular meetings.  And when they are there, they are constantly thanking us for what we do. 

When I've got my CAP hat on I have never, ever seen or heard of anyone from the AF (despite having a large base nearby) making any effort to even acknowledge our existence.  Occassionaly, an Adjutant General will come to the Wing Conference and yes, we do use the base for encampments regularly, but that is about it.  I'd say we've got probably 5000 Air Force members in the vicinity including multiple recruiter offices and they obviously couldn't care less that we're around. 

People often wonder why CAP is sometimes getting closer to states rather than to the AF -- I think it is because the states actually appreciate our help and visibily show it often in various ways. 

Now, I fully realize that the AF has basically delegated relations with CAP to the State Directors and the CAP-RAP reservists, and those guys are great in my wing.  But, the CG also has dedicated staff members specifically to do CG Aux work, but it just doesn't stop there like it does with the AF. 

Part of the difference is that it is made very clear at the top of the CG that the CG Aux is an important part of the team and people understand that maintaining relationships with the Aux is something that their superiors value.  They won't get chastised for spending time with us even if it isn't directly related to some operational activity.  You have to work very hard to find anybody in the AF outside of those who deal with CAP on a regular basis that knows or apparently cares what we're doing for them. 

Now, I don't expect that the AFB commander is going to come to my dinky squadron meetings every few months.  But, you would think there would be some interest from having some kind of relationship with us and that at least some poor 2nd Lt. would come by every now and again. 

Could my local squadron and Wing do more to try to initiate this sort of relationship?  Probably, but thats not the point.  CAP is volunteering FOR the AF -- we shouldn't have to prompt them to show some appreciation for what we're doing for their service. 

Now, those of you have been around for a while know that I'm a strong proponent of CAP performing augmentation missions for the AF when possible, but that isn't what this is about.  Its basically about common courtesy that should be shown towards those who help your agency.  Its not like we're a tiny little group that doesn't do much.  After all CAP has over 50,000 people which is a significant percentage of the people, civilian and military, associated with the USAF. 

You may be asking yourself why I'm still in CAP if I'm so down on the Air Force.  Well, I would have to say that I'm really here to potentially help some people in distress and that frankly I'm beginning to not care one way or the other about any benefit my actions might have for the AF.  If what I do has some positive impact on the AF, then thats great, but I don't think I'll be telling people anymore about how CAP helps the AF.  To some extent I'm still here because I've already invested so much of my life into CAP that to leave because of this would be an admission of a major mistake. 

So, in order to help me feel better, can anyone share some stories about how those in local AF units have shown their gratitude for what we do for the AF?  Are you feeling the love? 

Major Carrales

There is very little USAF presence in Corpus Chrsiti nor its surrounding locales save for recruiters.  The US Navy  and RED CROSS have been good to us, I look forward to better developing that relationship.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Even if the AFB wasn't in our backyard, we've probably got 2-5 times more AF recruiters in town than we do any sort of CG presence and yet the Coasties still make the time for the CG Aux. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 17, 2007, 01:09:50 AM
Even if the AFB wasn't in our backyard, we've probably got 2-5 times more AF recruiters in town than we do any sort of CG presence and yet the Coasties still make the time for the CG Aux. 

Can't say I know how to solve the problem.  However, is seems that if our current CAP memebrs that are in the USAF or former cadets might be a starting place.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

By tne way, I'm not expecting the AF to send folks out to CAP units 3 hours away from the nearest AFB or recruiting station.  I'm realistic.

Smokey

The only time in the past 6 years that I have seen an AF member at our squadron was in preparation for an inspection. Our liaison officer was also an FBI agent who we saw a couple of times before 9/11 and never after that. We were introduced to a new liaison officer about a year or so ago, but haven't seen her since.

I've seen a few AF folks at special events or training but that's about it.  If I didn't wear the AF uniform or see it written occasionally I wouldn't know we were associated with the AF.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Short Field

What is it specifically that would make you feel appreciated?  

We happen to have a very good relationship with the local air base - but it is limited to the few offices that we actually interface with for support.  We get great support when we need to use their facilities for functions and have General Officers as our guest speakers at annual squadron parties.

The majority of people at the base could care less - because we don't impact their mission and don't do anything for them.  They have missions to perform and training to get accomplished.  They would also care less about a small tenant detachment from some other USAF organization that doesn't impact their specific mission either.   The Coast Guard Aux is helping the local unit perform it's mission.  Big difference.  
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

flyguy06

In my opinon the reason the USAF doesnt get that involved is because CAP doesnt seem like it wants to work with the USAF They seem more interested in Homeland Security and rescuing people than motivating youths to pursue careers in the USAF or aviation

RiverAux

We do what the AF lets us do for them. 

For example, we have one CG Reservist who comes to our meetings 2 or 3 times a year.  Our flotilla does absolutely nothing that affects his Reserve position in any way.  Yet, he comes anyway. 

QuoteWhat is it specifically that would make you feel appreciated? 
Frankly, I'm not really sure.  That is one of those "you know it when you see it" moments.  Really it wouldn't take much on their part to at least make us feel like part of the team. 

For example, I'd bet good money that this year the Commandant of the Coast Guard will send out some sort of holiday message (maybe he already has) that will include in it a mention of the good work that the Aux has been doing.  I would almost guarantee that an equivalent message from the Air Force would not include CAP.  Or, how about including a story about some great CAP accomplishment in one of the AF magazines?  Hey, don't we save dozens of lives in their name every year? 

My point is that the AF as an organization doesn't even try as far as I can tell.  They do "show us the money", but thats about where it ends.     

Stonewall

My experience of "feeling apprciated" as a CAPer has been pretty positive.

In DCWG both the Army and Air Force gave us tons of support.  Army gave us a hangar and building with our own phone, LAN, and storage space with 24 hr access.  Air Force was pretty good about facilities on Bolling and Andrews AFB.  Ft. Belvoir gave us permanent keys to their training areas and all the maps we could use.  Ft. AP Hill and Ft. Pickett always welcomed us.

Here in FLWG, NE FLWG anyway, the ANG is great.  Had a 1 star promote a c/Capt last week and they had us fly in our C-182 for their family day.  They even worked for us with the Jacksonville Aviation Administration to give us our own building free of charge.  As for the Navy, they just don't quite understand us, even though we shut off ELTs about twice a month on 2 different bases.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

I think the big difference between CGAUX/USCG and the CAP/USAF relationship is that the CGAUX actually assists with real USCG missions.  While CAP just takes a mission away from the USAF...we don't work with local units on a day to day/mission basis and so we don't develop the same level of "appreciations".

The local Bomber (fighter, airlift, ect) Wing commander may understand who we are and what we do...but inland SAR is not his mission and he "appreciates" us the same way as he appreciates anyone else who does a job that does no help or hinder HIS mission.

It is not arrogance, or disdain for our mission....it is just that he is too busy doing his job that he does not have the time to give us much thought.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I understand that very well, but the thing is that people in the CG who are receiving absolutely no direct help from the Aux in the missions they are personally involved in take the time to thank us for what we're doing for the service as a whole.  Thats on the very local level of course and I'm sure that CG Aux units far from any CG personnel don't get that treatment.   

However, it doesn't explain how on the national level the AF doesn't seem to go out of its way to even acknowledge our existence as a group of people spending their own time and money on activities that do provide some benefit to the AF. 

RiverAux

I'm guessing that from the small number of positive responses to this thread that my experience isn't too far outside of the mainstream.  I really was hoping for something else.

SamFranklin

Yup, absolutely.

In my 20+ years in CAP, every uniformed AF member I have encountered has been kind, helpful, and supportive.

RiverAux

Well, I was right about the Christmas message from Adm. Allen:

QuoteR 192154Z DEC 07 ZUI ASN-A00353000021 ZYB
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
TO ALLHANDS
BT
UNCLAS //N01000//
SUBJ:  COMMANDANT'S HOLIDAY MESSAGE
1.  I DON'T WANT THE YEAR TO SLIP BY WITHOUT THANKING YOU FOR YOUR
EXTRAORDINARY SERVICE AND DEDICATION.  LAST YEAR, I TOLD YOU THAT I
WAS INCREDIBLY PROUD OF EACH OF YOU FOR MAKING IT ONE OF THE MOST
SUCCESSFUL IN COAST GUARD HISTORY.  THIS YEAR IS NO DIFFERENT.  YOU
HAVE SERVED WITH COURAGE, HONOR AND COMPASSION ACROSS ALL MISSIONS,
THROUGH EVERY EXPANSE OF THE GLOBE.  AT SEA, IN THE AIR, AND IN OUR
PORTS AND RIVERS, YOU ARE SAVING LIVES, DEFENDING OUR NATION AND
PROTECTING THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT.  WHETHER YOU ARE ON THE FRONT
LINES, PROVIDING CRITICAL MISSION SUPPORT, OR VOLUNTEERING YOUR
TIME IN THE AUXILIARY,
YOU ARE AMERICA'S LIFESAVERS AND GUARDIANS,
AND ARE VITAL TO THE COAST GUARD, YOUR COMMUNITY AND OUR NATION.

I haven't yet found a similar holiday message from anyone on the AF side.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on December 21, 2007, 04:04:24 AM
Well, I was right about the Christmas message from Adm. Allen:
I haven't yet found a similar holiday message from anyone on the AF side.

Don't expect to find it either... I can't REMEMBER seeing AD AF Generals thanking AF guardsmen... I could be wrong... But I sure don't remember it....

to be honest, it wouldnt make a difference to me anyway. Actions speak louder then words....

but I would be SURPRISED in a good way if any AD General thanked CAP....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Dragoon

The CG has several core missions (SAR, safety) etc that their Aux can help with.  So they treat them well.

USAF's core missions are primarily killing folks and gathering intell.  So far, they haven't found a meaningful role for us in those areas.  So we only help with a sideline or two (DDR, SAR, the occasional big disaster) which, frankly, aren't very important to most USAF generals.

We are, like it or not, less essential to the success of USAF than the CGAUX is to the CG.

Also, it seems that the CGAUX under tighter CG control.  (does the AUX perform missions for anyone other than the CG)?  CAP is more of a corporation that helps out on occasion.  This is probably related to the mission linkage.

To connect this to other threads, my guess is that we'd be treated better by the Guard than we are by the Federal USAF, as we'd be a heck of a lot more useful to them on a daily basis.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Dragoon on December 21, 2007, 02:03:50 PM
To connect this to other threads, my guess is that we'd be treated better by the Guard than we are by the Federal USAF, as we'd be a heck of a lot more useful to them on a daily basis.

I agree. I don't know exactly how it would work but I am positive their are functions CAPers can do on a guard base and be a force multiplier not a liability. I wish there was a well written official or semi official guide to demonstrate the many usefulnesses of CAP to a guard wing/installation commander. [IE: missions support(chaplain, admin, processing, processing line, Run/assist in blue shirt program etc...] you know those things "blue shirts" do before going to basic or as the split option airmen/soldiers wait for tech school.... (Blue shirt = signed contract, took oath, waiting to ship to  basic]
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

FW

I appreciate that about half of the current membership of the BoG are current or retired AF Generals.  They all praise the actions of CAP and the members. Also, the AU/CC and Air Force Academy Superintendant praise our actions.
I felt appreciated when the PANG AG joined the CAP and became a Lt Col, and active mission pilot for the wing.
I appreciate the assistance of all the reservists who take the time to help at all levels of CAP.
I appreciate the assistance of the many ANG personell who assist us in our CN missions, SAREVALs and other missions.
I appreciate the donated space, vehicles, bus drivers, cooks, hangers, tiedowns, etc. for meetings, encampments and special activities/events.
I appreciate the AF/ANG pilots and crews who give orientation flights to our cadets.
I appreciate the $28 million dollars the AF helps us get every year for our "stuff".
However, what I really appreciate is all that we have accomplished as members of CAP.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: FW on December 21, 2007, 02:40:39 PM
I appreciate that about half of the current membership of the BoG are current or retired AF Generals.  They all praise the actions of CAP and the members. Also, the AU/CC and Air Force Academy Superintendant praise our actions.
I felt appreciated when the PANG AG joined the CAP and became a Lt Col, and active mission pilot for the wing.
I appreciate the assistance of all the reservists who take the time to help at all levels of CAP.
I appreciate the assistance of the many ANG personell who assist us in our CN missions, SAREVALs and other missions.
I appreciate the donated space, vehicles, bus drivers, cooks, hangers, tiedowns, etc. for meetings, encampments and special activities/events.
I appreciate the AF/ANG pilots and crews who give orientation flights to our cadets.
I appreciate the $28 million dollars the AF helps us get every year for our "stuff".
However, what I really appreciate is all that we have accomplished as members of CAP.

Ditto... Welcome to CAPTalk!
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander