Main Menu

Sue Paul CAWG resigns

Started by Major Lord, July 26, 2007, 09:16:00 PM

wingnut

The Flying weather was great today in Southern california, Light wind, visibility Unlimited, a few elts, possibly a missinf Aircraft. I don't care who the Commander is all the way up to the chief of Staff of the Air Force, I expect support for the pilots, aircrews and Ground teams, increased recruitment and retention, more emphasis on training and skills evaluation. CAP is 65 years old this year, people will leave, many of them say they are tired of some of the BS maybe just tired. But we will survive as a Team new leaders require self evaluation, maybe we need a home make over, we are in many cases undergoing an identity crisis. So I have hope.

PS what about them Dodgers??

Pumbaa

Quotewhat about them Dodgers??

One of these days I have to make my way to Brooklyn to see them play.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: 2d Lt FAT and FUZZY on July 28, 2007, 11:39:37 AM
Quotewhat about them Dodgers??

One of these days I have to make my way to Brooklyn to see them play.

Yer gonna hafta see 'em in Chavez Ravine in Lost Angeles... Ebbets Field is now a housing project in Brooklyn. But if ya insist on seeing them in Noo Yawk, ya gotta see 'em playing the Mets at Shea Stadium in Flushing, Queens.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pumbaa

DANG!!!

When did they move out of NooYawk?  >:D

Grumpy

I realize that.  The thing that blew my mind when I retired from the AF and came back into CAP was having a squadron commander that was a 1st LT or Capt. and his deputy commander might be a Major or Lt Col.

JCJ

Quote from: Grumpy on July 28, 2007, 05:58:17 AM

___________________________________________________________________________________
Jesse has an uphill battle, I think things can only get better.
You got that right, considering before now he's never commanded so much as a flight and hasn't completed UCC yet.  From what I hear he was promoted from Major to full colonel (I realize that part is hear say).  But I do know he never had command experience before.

I'd have to agree with you, he's got an uphill battle alright.

I don't know Col. Muniz's full background, but I know him personally and I can tell you he is a good guy.  NSC Graduate, Level 5, former cadet, worked for an intelligence agency that was "central" back in the day.  He has been active on several national things.  He will have a big job, but I believe that he is up to it.

The other thing to note is this - there is ZERO tolerance for financial shenanigans in today's CAP.

PHall

Okay, back to the topic.

Talked to Maj Crumm, the CAWG CoS, about why Sue left. (He was closing down the Wing HQ Annex.)

Reason he gave was that her job description had changed with the new fulltime book keeper doing all of the financial stuff including Form 108's and the fact that they wanted her start working out of the Wing Headquarters in Van Nuys five days a week.
She did not want to make the 65 mile, each way, commute through the worst of LA traffic so she decided to resign.

She already has a new job at a car dealer that pays more and is 5 miles from her house.

Grumpy

I truely hope that's all there to it.  Perhaps after the BOG meets this year things will settle down.

RiverAux

employees leave all the time for all sorts of reasons.  It really is funny how everyone assumes the big conspiracy....

bosshawk

I refuse to engage in gossip, but I want to set a couple of things straight, for the benefit of those who are guessing.

One, Jesse Muniz was a LtCol when selected to be the new Wing Commander.  He was, in fact, the Director of Aerospace Education for Colorado Wing.  He has been in CAP since about the year two, having joined as a Cadet and has hit every step along the way.  Has he ever had a command: why not ask him?  I don't know.

Two, Jim Crum, the COS of CAWG, is a LtCol and a retired AF LtCol.

Just setting the record straight.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SoCalCAPOfficer

If we are setting the record straight, I still would like to know the status of the Wing Legal Officer.   If his leaving is just a rumor, then the record should be set straight.   If he has actually left, then why as a squadron legal officer was I not made aware of it.   

I have tried to pin this down without success.   If its just a rumor then to let it continue without verification would be unfair to LtCol Gianquinto who has done a fine job for our wing.

Therefore, if anyone out there can confirm or deny this with authority, I would love to hear it.   Thank You.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

ZigZag911

Quote from: shorning on July 28, 2007, 07:24:24 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on July 28, 2007, 05:58:17 AM
From what I hear he was promoted from Major to full colonel (I realize that part is hear say).

That's not uncommon in CAP.

Unfortunately, it is not....nor is the appointment of a wing CC with nor prior command experience.

This is not a comment on the new CA Wing CC, whom I don't know & have not met -- but CAP needs some firm regulations, some enforceable standards, regarding selection and appointment of region and wing commanders.....and since the NB won't touch it, it seems high time the BOG looked into it!

RAZOR

The Natinal Board will never touch it because it is there way of electing the "GOOD OLE BOYS" and putting their  good buddies in positions of power.. The whole system needs to be overhauled and let the Air Force take back the program.. ;D

ZigZag911

wingnut

Job Title:  Wing Administrator       
Salary:  $15.69 an hour
Reports to:  Wing Commander/Dotted Line Responsibilities to National Headquarters
Closing date:  12 August 2007
Job ID#  CAWA  (Full-time)

OK does anyone see the problem with this Pay, In California a National Guard Unit Clerk starts as GS 7
GS Scale for a 5 is $15.23 hour, GS 6 is $16.97, GS 7 is $18.86 (Local GS Pay)

Gee NHQ, you wonder why we are having problems with our Accounting??, kind of reminds me of what type of contractor we get with 'Lowest bid". If the average accounting firm pays $20.00/hour for an experienced book keeper in Los Angeles, but wait this person will be the "Wing Administrator".

Here is one example

8/8/2007 Administrative Support Assistant (OA)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army int ...[more]

Vacancy Ann.#:  WTKC07060560
Who May Apply:  Status Candidates
Pay Plan:  GS-0303-6/6
Appointment Term:  Permanent
Job Status:  Full-Time
Opening Date:  7/23/2007
Salary:  From 35,425.00 to 46,052.00 USD per year

/15/2007 Accounting Technician
FLORIDA NATIONAL GUARD NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: Thisis an excepted position that requiresmembership in a compatible military assignmentin the National Guard. Selectee will be required to ...[more]

Vacancy Ann.#:  FL07-262
Who May Apply:  US Citizens and Status Candidates
Pay Plan:  GS-0525-07
Appointment Term:  Permanent
Job Status:  Full-Time
Opening Date:  7/13/2007
Salary:  From 35,752.00 to 46,478.00 USD per year

Just my thoughts

RAZOR

Thats a lot of pay to answer a phone and file papers. I was a GS-07, now a GS-09 and my job description is way longer and more complex than the wing administrators job description... At best a GS-05 for this job... >:D

a2capt

Quote from: flynd94 on July 27, 2007, 09:27:09 PM
Folks, yes we have lost some folks in CAWG, expect to lose more.  Our house is in disorder.  If you don't think so, wake up and, smell the coffee.  Col. Nelson was fair leader but, a bad manager.  She didn't have the back bone to keep her directors in line or make the tough decision.

I guess I was not the only one that felt this way ...  ;)

A problem that some local units have is cadet vs. senior, instead of being one unit, they are divided- from the moment Col. Nelson's rule started to become evident, this was pretty obvious. Her expertise was Cadet Programs, the rest of it was paid no mind and fell to pieces. Seeing this 'attitude' prevail from the top down certainly didn't help matters. ES in and of itself, one of CAP's missions, especially in the south, was in need of an ES response to itself almost immediately with the change of command in 2003.

QuoteCol. Muniz has a tough road ahead, as would have the next CAWG/CC.

Yes, Col. Muniz does have a tough road ahead.

After the last Wing Conference (2006) there was a glimmer of light, with regards to ES, and quickly, Col. Nelson, as noted above, lacked the backbone to continue it, and per 'investigation', found nothing wrong. IE, let the good ol' boys network stay alive.. A few positions changed around, nothing much happened.

Lets hope Col. Muniz looks past the blinders that have been erected by some of the Wing Staff members, has open communications channels, does not allow legitimate complaints to simply be buried because chain of command was not followed, or buried it themselves, and listens to the rank and file,  where the work is actually done.

calguy

...I stand corrected, JJ is still the JAG.

calguy

Quote from: a2capt on August 01, 2007, 06:12:35 PM
Quote from: flynd94 on July 27, 2007, 09:27:09 PM
Folks, yes we have lost some folks in CAWG, expect to lose more.  Our house is in disorder.  If you don't think so, wake up and, smell the coffee.  Col. Nelson was fair leader but, a bad manager.  She didn't have the back bone to keep her directors in line or make the tough decision.

I guess I was not the only one that felt this way ...  ;)

A problem that some local units have is cadet vs. senior, instead of being one unit, they are divided- from the moment Col. Nelson's rule started to become evident, this was pretty obvious. Her expertise was Cadet Programs, the rest of it was paid no mind and fell to pieces. Seeing this 'attitude' prevail from the top down certainly didn't help matters. ES in and of itself, one of CAP's missions, especially in the south, was in need of an ES response to itself almost immediately with the change of command in 2003.

QuoteCol. Muniz has a tough road ahead, as would have the next CAWG/CC.

Yes, Col. Muniz does have a tough road ahead.

After the last Wing Conference (2006) there was a glimmer of light, with regards to ES, and quickly, Col. Nelson, as noted above, lacked the backbone to continue it, and per 'investigation', found nothing wrong. IE, let the good ol' boys network stay alive.. A few positions changed around, nothing much happened.

What was the glimmer of light???  Porter??  What was the investigation about???

Lets hope Col. Muniz looks past the blinders that have been erected by some of the Wing Staff members, has open communications channels, does not allow legitimate complaints to simply be buried because chain of command was not followed, or buried it themselves, and listens to the rank and file,  where the work is actually done.

California is in need of some new blood...starting with the CV.  He took over ES after last year's conference and did nothing but keep the same old boys doing their same old flying club activities.  Now he is the CV again, the current DOS is the DDO and is too worthless.  Nobody wants to do any changes and for the last 3 years it shows.  We had a new DOS 4 years ago but never received any support for the CC & CV.  He started the virtual base concept, worked well but had a hard sell and never really had the support from the command staff.  He and his assistant were instructed by the CV not to take anymore missions, this caused CAWG to turn missions back to the sheriff.  His goal is to get CAWG out of the SAR business.  The two guys stepped back up to the plate against the CV's orders and saved the Wing from the State. That year the two ran over 200 missions. They wanted to do statewide SAR schools and the CV stopped them.  Wonder why the Wing is in such poor shape?  The flying club is the Wing's priority.  The chief check pilot went missing during the Wing's SAREVAL and they opened an AFRCC mission.  Seems he was having lunch at an airport 200 miles away.  Another check pilot refused to return a dog team back home because he had plans to have lunch in a different direction.  There was an ELT mission last week off the end of a runway at a local airport.  There was a CAPF at the airport but he was unwilling to look for the ELT because he was at his friends tennis match.  Another flying club member?  Anyone that tries to make any changes is branded, we don't seem to want or accept change. 
The Wing received an unsatisfactory on its SAREVAL this year from an EXCELLANT two years ago.  The prior to years they received the CAP's best ES Program and now we hit rock bottom.  Thank the CV and lack of gut and leadership for that!

calguy

What was the Glimmer of Light???  Porter?

What was the Investigation you were talking about?