Main Menu

You call that a salute?

Started by SARMedTech, July 20, 2007, 04:41:02 PM

JayT

When a formal report is handed over?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SeattleSarge

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 22, 2007, 02:19:34 AM
Thanks, Sarge. Could you toss me a link...i went to the site but cant find what you mentioned as far as AFI.

Roger that...

http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/member_services/publications/other_publications.cfm

It's actually a AFMAN instead of an AFI.  My mistake.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

JCJ

JCJ

Quote from: SarDragon on July 22, 2007, 05:02:55 AM
Quote from: JCJ on July 22, 2007, 04:52:47 AM
Quote from: JThemann on July 21, 2007, 02:39:21 AM
Quote from: Smokey on July 20, 2007, 07:14:57 PM
I think CAP needs to spend more time on customs and courtesies like the salute.  We ARE the AF Aux.....we need to follow their lead and conduct ourselves with the same military bearing , especially when around members of the AF or any military service.  Far too many members fail to remembver that we are being watched and judged. A poor salute or failure to respect customs and courtesies reflects on us all and the organization.

Failure to act properly leaves the impresssion with military folks that we are just a bunch of boobs with no class.

We're not really the Air Force Auxiliary.

At times we are, but that's really irrelevant to the discussion.  Our organization chooses to render military customs & courtesies whether or not we're "Aux ON" or 'Aux OFF".  Members agree to follow our regulations when they join (it's on the membership application, and now the new member oath as well).  We do it by choice, it's a very honorable tradition and we should do it right.

As I recall, Navy & USMC never render a hand salute unless covered (wearing a hat) and are never covered indoors unless under arms (such as an armed sentry).  Navy and USMC would therefore not salute indoors, even when formally reporting, unless the individual is under arms.

USAF (and CAP) occasionally salutes indoors, such as when formally reporting - and being covered or not doesn't have anything to do with it.

I don't know what the protocol is in the Army.

Here's a trivia question - Under what circumstance does a U.S. Armed Forces member regularly salute with the left hand?  And I do not mean the individual whose right hand is injured (in a cast or similar) and temporarily salutes with the left hand becasue the right hand is inop.

I know, I know!  :)

I suspect you do.  I PM'd you to be sure we're thinking the same.

Eeyore

I'm pretty sure that I know.

JCJ

Quote from: edmo1 on July 22, 2007, 06:11:56 AM

PM me

SarDragon has it but he has an unspecified advantage which allowed him to shack it.

Major Carrales

QuoteHere's a trivia question - Under what circumstance does a U.S. Armed Forces member regularly salute with the left hand?  And I do not mean the individual whose right hand is injured (in a cast or similar) and temporarily salutes with the left hand becasue the right hand is inop.

Is it when one is at Right Shoulder Arms? 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JCJ

Your answer might be correct in the specific unit you mentioned, but not what i'm thinking.  The situation i'm thinking of results in a left-handed salute if the situation occurs anywhere in the relevant armed forces branch.

JCJ

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 22, 2007, 06:34:24 AM
QuoteHere's a trivia question - Under what circumstance does a U.S. Armed Forces member regularly salute with the left hand?  And I do not mean the individual whose right hand is injured (in a cast or similar) and temporarily salutes with the left hand becasue the right hand is inop.

Sorry no

JCJ

Quote from: JCJ on July 22, 2007, 06:37:49 AM

Your answer might be correct in the specific unit you mentioned, but not what i'm thinking.  The situation i'm thinking of results in a left-handed salute if the situation occurs anywhere in the relevant armed forces branch.

Here's a hint - It involves a branch that has some association with water (i.e. not Army or USAF)

Major Carrales

Quote from: JCJ on July 22, 2007, 06:38:16 AM

Sorry no

This is what I was taking about...I've seen it in representations of 19th Century.  I guess it was not what you are looking for.

QuoteNJROTC MANUAL OF ARMS OUTLINE

(From NJROTC Cadet Field Manual: NAVEDTRA 37116 - C)

A. Rifle Salutes
1. Command is RIFLE, SALUTE and termination command is READY, TWO
2. Can be given from Order, Trail, Right Shoulder, or Left Shoulder Arms.
   A. Salute from Order
      1. On SALUTE move the left arm across body keeping your arm
      and wrist straight with fingers joined and palm down.  First finger
      joint touches rifle between stacking swivel and bayonet stud.  (not
      in ranks turn head toward person or colors the salute is for).
   B. Salute from Trail
      1. Same as from order only rifle is 3 inches off the deck
   C. Salute from Right (Left) Shoulder
      1. Your left (right) arm moves across the body with fingers
      straight and joined and palm down.  First finger touches receiver
      and arm is parallel to the deck (not in ranks turn head and eyes
      toward person or colors saluting).
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JCJ

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 22, 2007, 06:44:36 AM
Quote from: JCJ on July 22, 2007, 06:38:16 AM

Sorry no

This is what I was taking about...I've seen it in representations of 19th Century.  I guess it was not what you are looking for.

QuoteNJROTC MANUAL OF ARMS OUTLINE

(From NJROTC Cadet Field Manual: NAVEDTRA 37116 - C)

A. Rifle Salutes
1. Command is RIFLE, SALUTE and termination command is READY, TWO
2. Can be given from Order, Trail, Right Shoulder, or Left Shoulder Arms.
   A. Salute from Order
      1. On SALUTE move the left arm across body keeping your arm
      and wrist straight with fingers joined and palm down.  First finger
      joint touches rifle between stacking swivel and bayonet stud.  (not
      in ranks turn head toward person or colors the salute is for).
   B. Salute from Trail
      1. Same as from order only rifle is 3 inches off the deck
   C. Salute from Right (Left) Shoulder
      1. Your left (right) arm moves across the body with fingers
      straight and joined and palm down.  First finger touches receiver
      and arm is parallel to the deck (not in ranks turn head and eyes
      toward person or colors saluting).

I guess the above true for rifle drill, but I am thinking of a regular hand salute like we do with the right hand, instead it's done with the left.

Grumpy

I think CAP needs to spend more time on customs and courtesies like the salute.  We ARE the AF Aux.....we need to follow their lead and conduct ourselves with the same military bearing , especially when around members of the AF or any military service.  Far too many members fail to remember that we are being watched and judged. A poor salute or failure to respect customs and courtesies reflects on us all and the organization.

Failure to act properly leaves the impression with military folks that we are just a bunch of boobs with no class.

At times we are, but that's really irrelevant to the discussion.  Our organization chooses to render military customs & courtesies whether or not we're "Aux ON" or 'Aux OFF".  Members agree to follow our regulations when they join (it's on the membership application, and now the new member oath as well).  We do it by choice, it's a very honorable tradition and we should do it right.

As I recall, Navy & USMC never render a hand salute unless covered (wearing a hat) and are never covered indoors unless under arms (such as an armed sentry).  Navy and USMC would therefore not salute indoors, even when formally reporting, unless the individual is under arms.

USAF (and CAP) occasionally salutes indoors, such as when formally reporting - and being covered or not doesn't have anything to do with it.

Here's a trivia question - Under what circumstance does a U.S. Armed Forces member regularly salute with the left hand?  And I do not mean the individual whose right hand is injured (in a cast or similar) and temporarily salutes with the left hand because the right hand is inop.

In the Navy the Boatswain salutes with his left while using his Boatswain's Pipe (that's a pipe, not a whistle) with his right hand.

JCJ

Quote from: Grumpy on July 22, 2007, 07:02:45 AM
I think CAP needs to spend more time on customs and courtesies like the salute.  We ARE the AF Aux.....we need to follow their lead and conduct ourselves with the same military bearing , especially when around members of the AF or any military service.  Far too many members fail to remember that we are being watched and judged. A poor salute or failure to respect customs and courtesies reflects on us all and the organization.

Failure to act properly leaves the impression with military folks that we are just a bunch of boobs with no class.

Here's a trivia question - Under what circumstance does a U.S. Armed Forces member regularly salute with the left hand?  And I do not mean the individual whose right hand is injured (in a cast or similar) and temporarily salutes with the left hand because the right hand is inop.

In the Navy the Boatswain salutes with his left while using his Boatswain's Pipe (that's a pipe, not a whistle) with his right hand.

Shack!  Bosun salutes with left hand while piping aboard a dignitary with the Bosun's pipe in his right hand.  Everyone else (sideboys, etc) salute with right hand in the usual manner

SarDragon got it early becasue he used to do it back in the day.

Grumpy

Quote from: JCJ on July 22, 2007, 07:05:50 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on July 22, 2007, 07:02:45 AM

Shack!  Bosun salutes with left hand while piping aboard a dignitary with the Bosun's pipe in his right hand.  Everyone else (sideboys, etc) salute with right hand in the usual manner

SarDragon got it early becasue he used to do it back in the day.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
I know SarDragon, when he was in the Navy, Old Ironsides was still on the drawing boards. :P

Hoser

The catapult officer also salutes left handed just before the cat shot

jb512

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 21, 2007, 03:14:25 PM
In my 20 plus years in CAP, I rarely see Senior members salute each other. Usually, they give a friendly greeting.

It depends on the setting.  You'll see more senior saluting at an encampment or a cadet squadron meeting than you will at a flying club meeting.   :D

SarDragon

Quote from: Hoser on July 22, 2007, 01:54:04 PM
The catapult officer also salutes left handed just before the cat shot

Only on the port cats. Starboard cats get a right handed salute. Just looked at some videos to verify.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret