Main Menu

Ready for eServices 2.0?

Started by Panache, May 18, 2014, 11:16:16 PM

dwb

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 19, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

This is the best thing I've seen all day. Kudos to you, good sir.

a2capt

.. as long as it's not like that Safety section. ;)

A.Member

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on May 19, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
eServices 2.0 (working name), which is mainly a "style change" for the main pages of eServices at this point, has been in testing for roughly a year.  It should be made available for members probably in a few weeks to get even more feedback, other than just the members testing now.

As for WMIRS 2.0, rumor has it that the testing/release schedule got pushed back due to the need for additional feedback.
Thanks for your comments.

FWIW, off the top of my head, here are a few items on my wish (no particular order)...

* Allow integration with SSO (so unit sites can seamlessly integrate) - both WMIRS and eServices

WMIRS
*  Restructure entire site navigation; simplify/consolidate/remove pages and navigation where appropriate (a lot of clean up opportunities)
*  Redesign all forms; auto-populate where possible and limit info collected to minimum needed
*  Add audit/workflow functionality to WMIRS for 108; auto-check, flag potential discrepancies
*  Allow for integration/release for multi-Wing/multi-Region activities

eServices
*  Group left navigation menu items logically by specialty; promote WMIRS, KB, etc to a more visible location (not in the footer area)
*  Size/name navigation links so they do not span more than one line
*  Work with CAPWATCH to add scheduling/batch functionality so that tables can easily and regularly (read: daily) download (useful for integration with unit intranet sites - Google Apps, Office 360, etc.)
* Enhance report descriptions and feature them more prominently on the page (not in the footer area); consolidate/remove seldom used reports
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

eServices 2.0 (working name), which is mainly a "style change" for the main pages of eServices at this point, has been in testing for roughly a year.

It takes a year to change the style sheet?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The last time they changed the style sheet, rumor was they paid someone $5K and we got the goofy looking space wasting non-reactive thing that is there now. So. Yay.  ;-)

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on May 20, 2014, 02:13:18 AM
The last time they changed the style sheet, rumor was they paid someone $5K and we got the goofy looking space wasting non-reactive thing that is there now. So. Yay.  ;-)

I'll do it for $2500 - I'll even give you candy-apple buttons with reflections and a brushed aluminum background.
This stuff is backing up in the salvage warehouses now that many OS developers have eschewed skeuomorphism.

Drop shadows included at no extra charge.

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

What about lens flares? Can you do lens flares?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Eclipse

^ Normally extra, but to get the job I'll thrown them in.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: raivo on May 20, 2014, 03:31:22 AM

Oh, so you want the J.J. Abrams Special Package?

Walkman

Quote from: JackFrost3k on May 19, 2014, 09:10:26 PM
You're talking about current CAP members right?  :o

Yup! I wasn't referring to NHQ staff, I'm talking about some regular CAP SMs who happen to be really high-speed professionals in the web development arena that volunteered to help advise NHQ on how to make it better.

NIN

Quote from: Panache on May 20, 2014, 03:49:07 AM
Quote from: raivo on May 20, 2014, 03:31:22 AM

Oh, so you want the J.J. Abrams Special Package?

I'll take my CAP website with a side of J.J. Abrams. If we can get a Michael Bay explosion ala carte, I'll take that too.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 02:24:45 AM

I'd like a scrolling banner.

And music. Definitely music. Something by John Williams. I have a MIDI file right here for you.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Panache

Quote from: NIN on May 21, 2014, 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 02:24:45 AM

I'd like a scrolling banner.

And music. Definitely music. Something by John Williams. I have a MIDI file right here for you.

Don't forget flashing text!

Eclipse

OK, all of the above is in the channel, nothing's ever too much, right?

I just picked up a metric ton of sparkly letters from MySpace's garage sale, thinking those will be sweet
on 101s.

Gonna have to scale back user testing, though, and no point in vetting the logic or insuring the system
matches the regs, few people seem to notice or care about that anyway.

Besides when something doesn't match, its easier to just change the reg or ignore until people comply
out of frustration and lack of choice....

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Wow, I remember them days, Myspace, all of them custom Glitter Letters and Custom Backgrounds.

What ever happened to myspace anyway? It has diminished, almost non existant.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 21, 2014, 04:24:25 PM
Wow, I remember them days, Myspace, all of them custom Glitter Letters and Custom Backgrounds.

What ever happened to myspace anyway? It has diminished, almost non existant.

FaceTwitGram took it over.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

I love how the IT people decided which tasks I have to evaluate people on to renew them, when the reg says its my choice...

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 21, 2014, 04:51:15 PM
I love how the IT people decided which tasks I have to evaluate people on to renew them, when the reg says its my choice...

Definitely high on my hit parade as well, not to mention the non-trivial changes that were
made to the entire system in that regard with no phase-in or even explanation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 21, 2014, 04:51:15 PM
That information actually comes from the ops shop at NHQ.

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 12:59:55 AM
eServices 2.0 (working name), which is mainly a "style change" for the main pages of eServices at this point, has been in testing for roughly a year.

It takes a year to change the style sheet?
Getting feedback and testing is the main thing that's pushed things back.  They are also building widgets that can be added/removed at the users choice.

As for WMIRS, from what I hear, it's going to be built into eServices, no more separate sites it seems.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

FloridaCaptain

My suggestion is to take away the HUGE statistics window.  It is not current up until this date anyway.  Also, email retrieval needs to be easier to find.  For new members this is going to be a lot of hunting pecking.  So far not digging this.