Cadet Saves Three from House Fire

Started by Ozzy, May 06, 2013, 12:58:06 AM

Ozzy

Little bit of news I just saw:
http://www.wnct.com/story/22166453/19-year-old-civil-air-patrol-cadet-saves-three-in-house-fire

19-Year-old Civil Air Patrol Cadet saves three in house fire
Posted: May 05, 2013 7:00 PM EDT Updated: May 05, 2013 7:02 PM EDT
NASHVILLE, N.C. -

A 19-year-old Civil Air Patrol Cadet from Pitt-Greenville Squadron saved three people from a house fire in Nash County Saturday.

It happened around 11 a.m. just north of Nashville at 2000 Exum Road. That's where Cadet Captain Emily Watson says she was riding home and saw a dark, small pillar of smoke coming from a yard.

"I slowed down and saw a few bushes on fire and flames coming out of a widow of a house," said Watson, "I stopped, called 911, and went to the back porch. I yelled and saw an elderly woman and two guys inside."

Watson says she then went in and got the three people out of the house as the fire spread to the cars outside.

"One of the cars blew up with the loudest boom I have ever heard in my life," said Watson.

The house is believed to be a total loss. Watson said the cause was believed to be a freezer in the garage.

Cadet Captain Watson is a member of the Civil Air Patrol and is active in all of the missions of Aerospace Education, Cadet Programs, and Emergency Services. She attends NC State and is pursuing a degree in Aerospace Engineering.

------------------------------

Not too much details, but congrats for a job well done.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

Now that's grounds for a Save ribbon!  Probably an SMV, too!

"That Others May Zoom"

Arkbird

Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2013, 01:07:46 AM
Now that's grounds for a Save ribbon!  Probably an SMV, too!

How can you get a Save Ribbon without a mission number? 

A Lifesaving Ribbon, yeah I can see that. I can also see a BMV at a minimum too.

mwewing

Good Work Cadet Captain Watson!!!

I think this action definately meets the criteria for a Medal of Valor. I think a strong case can be made for the SMOV just based on information presented in the article. At a minimum, danger to Watson was known and probable, as required for the BMOV. 3 people are alive today because of the quick and decisive action Watson took. I hope she is appropriately recognized for this.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PHall on May 06, 2013, 01:46:26 AM
How can you get a Save Ribbon without a mission number? 

What the heck is a save ribbon?  The "Search 'FIND' Ribbon"?  You don't need to "save" anyone to get that one.

Either way, Great job, Cadet!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

I am referring to a Lifesaving ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Weird...the link is broken on the first site and I keep Googling different terms to find another link or article but keep coming up empty.

Anyway...

Bravo Zulu to this cadet!

Devil Doc

The articles still dont have a full story on the Cadet. If it is Real Bravo Zulu.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Ozzy

And just like that there is a dispute with what happened... Thanks for the new links Eclipse. Seems like the bottom one was just updated about an hour ago
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

SARDOC

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 06, 2013, 11:47:59 AM
The articles still dont have a full story on the Cadet. If it is Real Bravo Zulu.

I was thinking more like Sierra Hotel.  But Bravo Zulu will work.    ;D

Eclipse

Very weird, as if they are trying to scrub the cadet's involvement.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

What a mess. You've got the victim themselves actually claiming they simply got out, and the other side as if a release was actually put out.

Was there a CAP release?

No one was hurt, all in all, that's a good outcome. But now what a mess.

Devil Doc

Was the Cadet involved or Not? seems odd that she is not mentioned anywhere.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

It would be very interesting to know who sent the initial CAP release.

NASHVILLE, N.C. -
A bizarre story out of Nash County.

A young cadet's actions were called into question after a member of the Civil Air Patrol sent out a news release crediting her with saving three people from a burning house.

9 On Your Side began investigating after the homeowner's daughter called to tell us it never happened.

It appears the whole thing was blown out of proportion. We talked with Alice Watson. She's the cadet's mother. She tells us her daughter, Emily, was at the scene of the fire but it was never her intent to seek any recognition.

Around 11am Saturday, Nashville firefighters were called to the home on Exum Street.

"Before the first truck got here, we had what I really believe was a smoke explosion. I was pretty close to the building but the witnesses that were further away say it lifted the roof about a foot and came back down," said Fire Chief, Randy Goodbrod.

The home was a total loss but the homeowner and her son got out of the house unharmed. Shortly after it happened, 9 on your side got a news release from the Civil Air Patrol crediting Emily Watson with saving their lives. In the release, Watson, is quoted as saying she got everyone out of the house. But the homeowner's daughter, Karen Letchworth says there's just one problem with that statement.

"I don't really know what to think of it. It really upset us because that's really not what happened," she said.

Letchworth says a neighbor first saw the flames and alerted her mother and brother, who were able to get out of the house on their own.

"We are getting some conflicting reports, I don't know if you can confirm this at all that there was a civil air cadet that came and helped rescue?" asked 9 on your side's Kristen Hunter.

"I'm not aware of that. I just talked to the homeowner. She was able to get out of the structure on her own. So I would say that there was no credible report as far as that goes," said Chief Goodbrod.

But the cadet's mother, Alice Watson, tells us her daughter was there. She tells 9 on your side her daughter was driving by the house, noticed smoke and called 9-1-1. She says her daughter made sure the people inside the house got out okay and waited across the street until firefighters arrived.

Firefighters have not determined the cause of the fire but it does not appear to be suspicious.

As far as the discrepancies about how the family got out of the home, the person who originally sent the press release, Officer David Nelson, did not return Hunter's calls by air time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Hmmm... So she called 911 and made sure everyone got out and waited across the street? Was that Valor? You decide. I don't know who this Cadets Commander is, but the story needs to come out first before they start airing stuff, isn't that why we have a Public Relations Officer? I Commend her for calling 911, that's an important step, but I wouldn't call it being a hero.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

mwewing

Well then...

Obviously, more information is needed before any award is approved. I am sure that witness statements and a report from the fire department will help in that regard.

I wonder how this got blown out of proportion so quickly. There is no way that any unit I have been involved with could get this story running within 12 hours of the incident, and in my experience, profiles of these acts of courage come after the fact - even by just a day or two. While it is certainly possible for reporters to run breaking stories with very bad information (and I have seen some real stinkers), this would likely just include the fact that a rescue was made, and perhaps the name of that rescuer.

It seems unusual for them to have information regarding her CAP involvement, especially if she isn't looking for recognition as stated in one article. If there is a very active PAO in the area who was able to get this ball rolling, it sounds like he/she may have jumped the gun just a bit. Moving quickly, it would be easy for this story to spiral out of control.

Regardless of whatever rescue did or did not happen, stopping to check on people and notify the fire department are very good choices. I hope that she is recognized in accordance with her actions.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

themarinepilot

I know Watson very well. It's amazing how quickly things get out of control. Watson did tell the truth. She was never seeking recognition, a CAP officer released that story in his pride for her and then a family member who wasn't even there called her actions into question.  The 911 call was released today clarifying her involvement and the article was updated to show the new information.  It is a shame that this all happened.  I really feel for her because she was just doing what was right and never wanted any glory or awards.

Private Investigator

^ thanks for the update.

And welcome to CT sir

Devil Doc

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

http://www.wnct.com/story/22166453/19-year-old-civil-air-patrol-cadet-saves-three-in-house-fire

Stilll looks like there is Conflicting Factors. Hopefully it gets fixed before Cadet Watson's name gets drug through the mud.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

a2capt

Actually the whole story still seems to have a mess to it. The timeline as read in one of those web stories makes this seem like it took the fire dept. 45 minutes to an hour to show up, and that the whole fire was going for several hours.

This is a perfect example of things getting out of hand. Fast.

a2capt

Quote from: Email excerpt from the linked articleAt 1:16 it appears that Mr. Brian Murray re-enters the house, by 1:30 he is back with the caller.  At 1:42 it's known that there are two people still in the house and their location is reported at 1:47.  At 1:52 she appears to say "I've found them." and at 1:55 she asks a woman "is everybody out, ma'am?" and relays that to the dispatcher.  At 2:14 she starts yelling for everyone to "go across the street" and at 2:22 someone starts repeatedly yelling "No".  At 2:30 she informs the dispatcher that "something just collapsed."  At 2:59 she reports "there's an elderly woman here, I think she's having trouble breathing.... She says she's alright." At 3:24 she acknowledges the dispatcher's instructions and says " I'll guide the emergency crews into the area."

Article says the fire dept. was called around 11AM, email says 1:16, 1:30 .. 15 minutes alone, fire is usually on scene, hoses deployed and already spraying, and we're talking now 1:55 "I've found them". Talk about slow motion fire. In a half hour that thing would have eaten up the whole house.

Good Intentions.. Gone Bad.

NC Hokie

Quote from: a2capt on May 08, 2013, 06:04:13 PM
Article says the fire dept. was called around 11AM, email says 1:16, 1:30 .. 15 minutes alone, fire is usually on scene, hoses deployed and already spraying, and we're talking now 1:55 "I've found them". Talk about slow motion fire. In a half hour that thing would have eaten up the whole house.

I'm not sure, but I think the times given with the 911 call transcript are minutes and seconds into the call, not hours and minutes.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

johnnyb47

Quote from: a2capt on May 08, 2013, 06:04:13 PM
Quote from: Email excerpt from the linked articleAt 1:16 it appears that Mr. Brian Murray re-enters the house, by 1:30 he is back with the caller.  At 1:42 it's known that there are two people still in the house and their location is reported at 1:47.  At 1:52 she appears to say "I've found them." and at 1:55 she asks a woman "is everybody out, ma'am?" and relays that to the dispatcher.  At 2:14 she starts yelling for everyone to "go across the street" and at 2:22 someone starts repeatedly yelling "No".  At 2:30 she informs the dispatcher that "something just collapsed."  At 2:59 she reports "there's an elderly woman here, I think she's having trouble breathing.... She says she's alright." At 3:24 she acknowledges the dispatcher's instructions and says " I'll guide the emergency crews into the area."

Good Intentions.. Gone Bad.
I'm pretty sure those were time stamps within the recorded call.
1:16 into the call, 1:30 into the call, 1:42 into the call, etc.... all recorded in minutes:seconds.

(Edited to add the U in the word MINUTES) :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

a2capt

Minutes & Seconds, okay. I can buy that. Though the transcript, if it's that, isn't in the typical format and it's put out by the same source that started the confusion in the first place. If the county/dispatch put out the call that would probably clear up some stuff. Especially if there''s recognizable voices. (to someone).

Arkbird

The last few days have been a living nightmare for me and my family.  A CAP member with very, very good intentions created a rather big mess for everyone involved with a press release with quotes from Facebook...  As I understand it, the family and Fire Dept when asked about a cadet were imaging someone in a military uniform not jeans and a t-shirt.  I never told my name to anyone other than the 911 operator, I just did what I needed to do and went home.  I have my original 911 call now on my laptop.  I value highly my reputation among my fellow CAP members and would really not like my name to get drug through the mud anymore.  If anyone would like to hear it for themselves, I will be more than happy to send it to them.  I would post it as an attachment, but I do not have enough posts to do that.
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

Eclipse

You might want to look up the term "nightmare" and dial-down the drama a little.

If anyone is making anything more then the assumption that this is a misunderstanding they need to knock it off.

Good on you for doing what you felt you needed too, and hopefully whoever released the information without doing a little background has learned a lesson.

But don't make more drama out of this then it deserves.  I don't see anyone here "dragging your name through the mud" and if it is happening elsewhere,
then perhaps you should just disengage from those places.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2013, 12:45:17 PM
You might want to look up the term "nightmare" and dial-down the drama a little.

If anyone is making anything more then the assumption that this is a misunderstanding they need to knock it off.

Good on you for doing what you felt you needed too, and hopefully whoever released the information without doing a little background has learned a lesson.

But don't make more drama out of this then it deserves.  I don't see anyone here "dragging your name through the mud" and if it is happening elsewhere,
then perhaps you should just disengage from those places.
I don't know, Eclipse. I'd give the cadet a little lattitude with the use of the word 'Nightmare' on this one.
Seeing how the press has taken to doing a complete background check and broadcasting the findings nationally on anyone being reported on for doing the right thing I could see how a young person might find the probing nightmare-ish. Especially with local coverage and gossip.

Cadet, Good job for doing the right thing. Hold your head up high and ignore what is being said about you that might sound negative. I guarantee that part will blow over quickly. It is a sad fact that news outlets are far more interested in reporting on the negative side of ANYTHING than the positive actions of anyone. Luckily it never lasts long.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ColonelJack

Let me add my own Bravo Zulu to you, Cadet.  You did the right thing and showed tremendous cool and professionalism.

The press release is a different story and whoever was responsible for that needs (in my opinion) a refresher course on the job of the PAO.  The fact that it became a royal mess, however, is not your fault.  You did well and should be commended for that.

All the best and a happy future to you!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Devil Doc

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Johnny Yuma

Sounds like the work of an overzealous PAO. :o She's GTG for a commander's commendation, at best.

We had a cadet who found his neighbor's house on fire one morning, woke them up and helped get all 4 out. They put him in for SMOV, the city fire chief personally wrote the narrative justifying the award. He got a lifesaving.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Devil Doc

So what qualifies you for the SMOV? I mean i've heard some stories, and they only got a Lifesaving
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

ol'fido

I have no first hand knowledge on this or any other potential SMOV situation, but since that's never stopped anyone on CT or in other media from putting forth an opinion, I'll go ahead and add mine.

What may be happening is that NHQ and other echelons are looking at recent history where SMOVs and BMOVs were awarded for situations where the actions were somewhat less than "above and beyond" or "at great risk to themselves" i.e. directing traffic at accidents. There may be a much tougher standard applied because of this. Incidents that 10 or 15 years ago might have resulted in a MOV would now only rate a LSA or ComCom. Plus the fact that many awards submissions depend on the opinion of the respective chain of command and the writing skills of the person writing up the 120. I'm sure we have all heard of situations where we thought a person deserved a MOV and barely received an "attaboy" and others we thought were nothing and the person received a ComCom or LSA.

There is just no hard and fast way to say that this "action" deserves a decoration and that "action" doesn't. It all depends on who did it, who saw it, what was done, who writes it up, how do they write it up, and who endorses, changes, or denies it on its way through the chain of command. To paraphrase, "Nobody can really define heroism, they just know it when they see it." Maybe.

Just a quick, humble opinion.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

^ Roger that.

I have put members up for SMOV, BMOV and LSA. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they did not. All I can say is "YMMV" ...  8)

Mustang

Sounds like the PAO's actions should be called into question, not the cadet's.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mslayton_24

I think that Watson, in a way, is a hero. Because most people these days would keep driving and think nothing of the smoke. She didn't say she saved those people. She didn't want credit. She did the right thing. she was in the right place at the right time. So yes, I believe she is a hero in a way.
On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.
       ~Dan Lipinski