Main Menu

Sigs

Started by Chris Jacobs, March 13, 2007, 09:40:31 PM

Should members of this board have to post their name with their messages?

Yes
34 (54.8%)
No
28 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Chris Jacobs

I got the idea for this after some people added comments on the topic "Your posts reflect CAP to the outside world", saying that members should have to put their names with their mesages.  I feel both ways but it seems like it was a valid issue for a poll.  So vote.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

MIKE

It's something I personally recommend for my stated reasons, but I don't think it should necessarily be a requirement for board membership.  That said, I do not look kindly upon those who would use their anonymity as a license to cause trouble.
Mike Johnston

Chappie

Personally, I feel it is up to the member as to whether or not they want to identify themselves in their sig line.  The majority of us here are adults and should have some civility in their demeanor.  But having said that, I realize that there are occasions where things are said/written "tongue in cheek" or in a sarcastic manner.  Given the current climate of CAP, there may be some who would fear either a personal reprisal or that it would put some heat on their commander should their remarks be viewed as contrary or critical to NHQ....because these posts are read by others both inside and outside CAP.  Just my .002.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

DNall

Quote from: MIKE on March 13, 2007, 10:02:14 PM
It's something I personally recommend for my stated reasons, but I don't think it should necessarily be a requirement for board membership.  That said, I do not look kindly upon those who would use their anonymity a license to cause trouble.

I said yes on the basis of you morally should have to, but I'm 100% with Mike on this one. I personally prefer to do is in my username as you can see, versus the more formalized sig line you see a lot of people using. The reason for that is, in order to have open & frank discussions, I don't think there is a place for grade or other one-ups-manship type things, including to go so far talking to someone's chain of command. I don't hide where I'm at or who I'm working for, but I don't plaster it in neon either. That's just how my personal judgements have worked out on the subject, YMMV.

LtCol White

I think it should be a requirement. What would be the legitimate need for not revealing your identity? Anyone can read as a guest. Therefore, members should be required to publish it in the sig block.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ColonelJack

After reading this, I changed my sig to include who I am, as well as where I write and where you can buy my writing stuff.

Thanks to the many CAPTalkers who've visited The Colonel's Corner (my blog!) and have read my wide and varied stuff.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

LtCol White

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 13, 2007, 11:28:10 PM
After reading this, I changed my sig to include who I am, as well as where I write and where you can buy my writing stuff.

Thanks to the many CAPTalkers who've visited The Colonel's Corner (my blog!) and have read my wide and varied stuff.

Jack

Now if we can get others to follow suit.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

BillB

I don't post name in a sig. but many already know who I am.  While it may be a good idea to include name, rank and unit to a signature block, would someone in Maine Wing know who someone in California Wing was?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

As long as you are generally respectful of others and contribute to the discussion I don't have a NEED to know who you are.  Sure, if I did know it may help me evaluate your comments, but I don't find it necessary. 

The flamers that want to come in and disrupt things will just post false information anyway, so requiring all that stuff is meaningless without a rock-solid method of identity verification. 

Pylon

We don't need it and that's intentional, by design.

What if CAP Member Snuffy is having huge issues with a dysfunctional squadron/group/wing, and wants to seek advice from the collective experience contained here, but doesn't want to name specific names, nor have their superiors chastizing them either after discovering the posts.  It's a legitimate concern.

Our policy as it is now is that you can put your name and/or other information in your signature, or you can remain anonymous.  You can't create a ficticious identity, but you can remain anonymous. 

Does anonymity lead to issues?  Perhaps, but an anonymous user who is violating forum etiquette and rules will be dealt with just as would a person with their name in the signature block.  Breaking the rules is breaking the rules, regardless of what's in your signature block.  Being anonymous doesn't give users here a free pass.

We've had very few problems stemming from people feeling they can get away with anything since nobody knows their name.  I don't see any valid reason to change it.   (Nor would the outcome of this poll change the board administrators' opinions on how things will be run.  ;)  )

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Fifinella

Quote from: Pylon on March 14, 2007, 03:25:42 AM
What if CAP Member Snuffy is having huge issues with a dysfunctional squadron/group/wing, and wants to seek advice from the collective experience contained here, but doesn't want to name specific names, nor have their superiors chastizing them either after discovering the posts.  It's a legitimate concern.
PRECISELY, Fifinella said anonymously.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

CAP428

I don't think it should be required, and for a number of reasons.

The main ones, though are:

There's not a huge problem with people posting disrespectful/hateful comments anonymously.  Sure, you might see some bad judgement here and there, but it's not like the forum is overrun by anonymous folks posting awful things.

There are plenty of people who might be hesitant to voice their opinion, but anonymity offers them the "courage" to post what they think without the fear of getting beat down for their thoughts.

Security.  You might not think it's a big deal, and chances are it wouldn't ever develop to be one, but posting your name and location online can in fact be a safety and security issue.

On a related note, you do have cadets on here, and, depending on their age, their parents may not be too crazy about them posting their name and where they live on their posts.  I would rather have the anonymous contributions of everyone possible than the exclusion of a huge faction of the CAP population just because you'd like to see "who said what."

That's what I think.

Chris Jacobs

Quote from: Pylon on March 14, 2007, 03:25:42 AM
(Nor would the outcome of this poll change the board administrators' opinions on how things will be run.  ;)  )

You caught me.  >:D
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

dwb

Absolutely not.  I think it's a really bad idea to require people to disclose their identities.

Why?

• Some people don't want everyone on here to know who they are.
  • Some cadets, especially the younger ones, may have been told by their parents not to disclose their real name on the Internet.
  • Some people just like to contribute to the discussion, and the more requirements you add to participate, the more people will decide it's not worth the trouble.
  • As Pylon pointed out, people come here to get advice for problems they're having, and being able to have anonymity makes discussing these problems possible.
  • I like that cadets and senior members of all ranks and backgrounds can debate on a relatively even playing field.  It's so much unlike real life, it provides a good experience (esp. for the lower ranking members)
  • Who gives a hoot what someone's real name is?  Honestly, it just doesn't matter as much as people seem to think it does.

Major Carrales

Some might say that this  is an intregity issue...to sign ones name to one's thoughts.

I think, however, it is best to addreses this by incident.  If we have a putz that comes here and hides behine the "screen name" and causes trouble, I have faith the MODERANGERs will deal with it.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

FARRIER

"Some cadets, especially the younger ones, may have been told by their parents not to disclose their real name on the Internet."

For protection of cadets is a valid point.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

davedove

I certainly like seeing the names, locations, positions, etc.  I gives you a quick snapshot of who the person is, where they are, and what they do.

That being said, I don't think it should be required.  There are many reasons why not, the most important of which is the protection of cadets.

Sure, at times someone will use it to bash, but that tends to be the exception.  That's what moderators are for.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

floridacyclist

I don't think it should be required, especially after coming up with my own copy of SMF and seeing how well it can lock folks out by a variety of filters; I trust the moderangers are familiar with those tools as well.

I do post my name and approximate position though as a courtesy to let folks know what experience level I'm coming from and for the same reason that I finally sought promotion after 2 years as a 2nd Lt Lt: to be taken seriously.

I could have cared less about the silver bar until some Captain made a remark about "What do you know? You're just a 2nd Lt".

I do think that we should not be afraid to let people know where we stand in life and CAP (if not our real name, which is mostly irrelevant on here anyway) and should treat each other with the same level of respect and decorum as if we were talking face-to-face or over the telephone. It is very possible to disagree respectfully with others and is a skill we should all try harder to practice.

On our squadron board, I am requiring names and CAPIDs (or a good understanding of who you are and why you're there) to be known to the moderators, but not publically displayed.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

dwb

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 14, 2007, 04:00:05 PMSome might say that this  is an intregity issue...to sign ones name to one's thoughts.

But you're still doing this, even if you aren't using your legal name.  People will still judge you on the content of your posts, even if they only know you by your username.

I don't always use my name in my CAP Talk sig.  It's in there now because we're coming up on encampment season, and we start threads on this board for folks to ask encampment questions.  Since my username doesn't make it obvious who I am, I put my stuff in my sig.

However, if you only knew me as justin_bailey, then you'd just day "That Justin guy is an idiot", or, hopefully, "That Justin guy really knows his stuff".

Whether you know me as justin_bailey, or as Capt Brodsky, doesn't really matter.  It's still me.

This holds true even of people who have a different persona online.  Some people are completely different in person than they are on a message board.  Some people create fake personas and pretend to be someone else online.  That's generally less of an issue here, since it's a niche message board.