A Time For Patriots- Dale Brown

Started by Major Lord, November 07, 2011, 05:33:26 PM

Major Lord

I went to Lake Tahoe this weekend and since it was snowing pretty hard, had plenty of time to read Dale Brown's new novel, "A Time for Patriots". I don't want to spoil anything, but lets just say that nearly anything that has started a fatal dual on this board is right in there. Cadet "Medics', law enforcement, carrying guns, drugs, shooting people, beating up FBI agents.....all by CAP and CAP members.  You are gonna love this book. Then you will go directly to hell for impure thoughts......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

cap235629

reading it myself right now. So far unimpressed.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Major Lord

Quote from: cap235629 on November 07, 2011, 06:02:30 PM
reading it myself right now. So far unimpressed.

I would say if you have expectations that CAP is going to be represented factually, you will find it disappointing, but as pure- CAP fantasy, I enjoyed it.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

cap235629

I expected that but the whole McClanahan as the superhero gets old and the techno-babble that started with the Tin Men just irritates me.... I used to be a big fan but have been getting more and more disappointed as the years go on....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

DiNardo907

Thanks for passing this along!  I'm not expecting much in the way of accuracy or reality, but how often does CAP really get mentioned in anything? lol

tsrup

Just checking out a few pages on Amazon:

weird, one of the news stories referenced from KDLT, is a mission that I was a part of...
Paramedic
hang-around.

Ed Bos

I read it. It was good, clean, silly, fun. 
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

ol'fido

I've read it and like the references to CAP in the first half of the book. Thought the latter half jumped the shark a bit, but this is a work of FICTION and not a PAO puff piece. How many times have you seen a movie that seems very realistic on the face of it and then proceeded to pick it apart when it departs from reality. "Thermo-nuclear" hand grenades, 400 rd magazines, and pistols continuing to fire with the slide locked back are the norm for movies and military fiction is the same way. It is fiction.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

EMT-83

Does this mean that Hawaii Five-O isn't real either? I thought that's what cops did on the islands.

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on November 08, 2011, 12:02:59 AM
I've read it and like the references to CAP in the first half of the book. Thought the latter half jumped the shark a bit, but this is a work of FICTION and not a PAO puff piece. How many times have you seen a movie that seems very realistic on the face of it and then proceeded to pick it apart when it departs from reality. "Thermo-nuclear" hand grenades, 400 rd magazines, and pistols continuing to fire with the slide locked back are the norm for movies and military fiction is the same way. It is fiction.

A valid point, but seriously, on our best day our ops might be personally life changing (Challenger, 911, Katrina, etc.), but sure aren't all that "exciting"
in the Grande Scheme®.  A wink and a nod in an otherwise realistic story is a nice acknowledgement of our efforts, but if we're talking about Die-Hard stuff like jumping motorcycles over Harriers, I'll pass.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

One interesting thing I found was that they Government has all this super-cool technology of "transformers" like quality, but CAP is still flying elderly 172 and 182's! I guess even in the near science fiction future, we will still be in the dark ages; Spoiler Alert! The Butler did it!

Major Lord

NIN

Wait. Dale Brown writes FICTION? Son of a...

What next, you're gonna tell me the Easter Bunny ain't real?

This day is going downhill rapidly and its only 0530.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: EMT-83 on November 08, 2011, 12:15:13 AM
Does this mean that Hawaii Five-O isn't real either? I thought that's what cops did on the islands.

Real as in the police procedures (jazzed up for Hollywood), but in reality, there is no state police organization in Hawaii, or any law enforcement organization called Five-O.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Cliff_Chambliss

Years ago (I mean when dinosaurs still roamed the earth and before the USAF gave CAP all their old T-34's) I found a book in our high school library that was all Civil Air Patrol. 
  The basic story line was a major hurricane bearing down on Puerto Rico and a major evacuation was taking place.  At the end of it all there were a few CAP Cadets and some stay behinds that managed to find a derelict Constellation, get it started and then fly through the edges of the hurricane to Fl.
  Pure fantasy but for a young high schooler and CAP Cadet at the time it sure fueled many fantasies.
(Can't even remember if the CAP Cadet Aircraft Commander got the girl at the end of the story).
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on November 08, 2011, 10:39:30 AM
Give me a Tom Clancy any day - realistic fiction wrapped in current events (too bad he doesn't actually write much anymore)

What next, you're gonna tell me the Easter Bunny ain't real?

Let's not get crazy here, no one said anything about the EB...

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2011, 03:38:25 PM
Give me a Tom Clancy any day - realistic fiction wrapped in current events (too bad he doesn't actually write much anymore)

I used to like Clancy's books but the last few I've read are just way to long with useless minutia thrown in. I do not need to know what a minor character had for breakfast. "Red Storm Rising" was one of his best. It took an over view approach to a late eighties war between NATO and the Soviets.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on November 08, 2011, 10:39:30 AMWhat next, you're gonna tell me the Easter Bunny ain't real?

I'm more concerned that they're going to say Punxsutawney Phil isn't real :'(.

Major Lord

Any publicity about CAP is going to be good for us. ( We can always break their hearts and shred their souls after they have already signed up) How many Cadets joined CAP thinking they would get flight instruction? I would guess that at least half the Seniors in CAP ended up doing something other than what they thought they would be doing when recruited. Who would join the Coast Guard if they were told they would spend the first half of their career scraping and painting? Who would want to join the infantry if they were told in advance that they were not allowed to kill bad guys? Sure, Tom Clancy and Dale Brown write fiction, but if they wrote the story of the brave airman who unjammed the photocopy machine without even safety glasses, who would buy it? ( Okay, I would buy the Tom Clancy/Photocopier book on GP's anyway.....)

Major Lord

a2capt

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 08, 2011, 03:48:41 PM
Quote from: NIN on November 08, 2011, 10:39:30 AMWhat next, you're gonna tell me the Easter Bunny ain't real?
I'm more concerned that they're going to say Punxsutawney Phil isn't real :'( .
Okay, I'll cave on Cleveland, Cincinnati and the Easter Bunny.. but...

I...I *still* ain't made up my mind yet about Toledo!