New Dale Brown Book "A Time for Patriots"

Started by MSG Mac, May 11, 2011, 02:31:54 AM

MSG Mac

Dale Brown's newest book has a very good depiction of CAP. Including search and rescue scenario's haven't finished it yet, but very good so far. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RiverAux

Cool.  Hope the depiction is more accurate than the last time he had CAP in one of his books.  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2413.msg88228#msg88228

MSG Mac

There are still a few descrepencies. McClanahan is a COL, not a LTC (he turned down LTG), an Air Search and Rescue actually got off the ground in 30 minutes. Haven't seen anything else glaring
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Finished the book, the Sqquadron members go outside of official CAP channels to save the community from homegrown terrorists. CAP saves the day again. Good read
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RiverAux

I thought the depiction of CAP and its activities was accurate.  Heck, in several places it went well into propaganda mode.

About the only thing that was a real stretch was having one squadron be assigned a 182, 206, and a GA8.  Yeah, the SAR they started the book off with was probably went about as perfectly as any could have, but hey, its fiction. 

Regarding McLanahan's rank, they probably could have got him granted one of those special Col. ranks like they decided to do for all the WWII guys.  Besides, they almost never mentioned that rank and he was usually referred to by his AF rank.

Of course, McLanahan acted like he usually does -- ignoring even reasonable orders if they don't happen to fit with what he wants to do.  That situation came up in regards to the SAR. 

And, at least when he decided to really go off the grid he made a point of making sure it was clear that none of the CAP people were participating as CAP members (though they were using a CAP facility as a hq while they were doing it). 

All, in all, I'll forgive him for the messed up portrayal of CAP in the other book. 

RADIOMAN015

Wow I can think of another "spin" on a fiction novel depicting Civil Air Patrol.     Terrorist cells (associated with Al-Qaeda) throughout the US join Civil Air Patrol as pilots and while engaged in basically unsupervised "flying club" activity, are planning to launch attacks with home made aerial bombs (explosives, biological, chemical), across the United States on the 4th of July against large groups gathered for the holiday festivities.  The terrorists plan to fly the aircraft to certain remote fields and leased hanger space to configure the aircraft and not return them after typical "flying club" type missions.

However, CAP Captain Terrific discovers the plot and with the permission of the NOC some CAP aircraft are configured with mini machine guns and small rockets (a special "black ops" group had already been training to use these weapons) to hunt down all the aircraft involved and stop them.  Unknown to the terrorists CAP has also installed locators radio devices (e.g. http://ravtrack.com/) on all its' aircraft and only a very closely net group know of this capability.  It's turned on and CAP aircraft now become engaged in combat air patrols to save many people from attack.

Unknown to the CAP personnel is that the terrorists also have installed defensive weapons including mini guns & rockets... so the search and fight is on!   

Should I give up my day job to start writing ;) :angel:   
RM       

Persona non grata

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 02, 2011, 04:34:07 PM
Wow I can think of another "spin" on a fiction novel depicting Civil Air Patrol.     Terrorist cells (associated with Al-Qaeda) throughout the US join Civil Air Patrol as pilots and while engaged in basically unsupervised "flying club" activity, are planning to launch attacks with home made aerial bombs (explosives, biological, chemical), across the United States on the 4th of July against large groups gathered for the holiday festivities.  The terrorists plan to fly the aircraft to certain remote fields and leased hanger space to configure the aircraft and not return them after typical "flying club" type missions.

However, CAP Captain Terrific discovers the plot and with the permission of the NOC some CAP aircraft are configured with mini machine guns and small rockets (a special "black ops" group had already been training to use these weapons) to hunt down all the aircraft involved and stop them.  Unknown to the terrorists CAP has also installed locators radio devices (e.g. http://ravtrack.com/) on all its' aircraft and only a very closely net group know of this capability.  It's turned on and CAP aircraft now become engaged in combat air patrols to save many people from attack.

Unknown to the CAP personnel is that the terrorists also have installed defensive weapons including mini guns & rockets... so the search and fight is on!   

RM       

Keep your day job, just stay of the internet and giving Terrorists ideas.

thanks
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: eaker.cadet on July 02, 2011, 05:48:28 PM
Wow I can think of another "spin" on a fiction novel depicting Civil Air Patrol.     Terrorist cells (associated with Al-Qaeda) throughout the US join Civil Air Patrol as pilots and while engaged in basically unsupervised "flying club" activity, are planning to launch attacks with home made aerial bombs (explosives, biological, chemical), across the United States on the 4th of July against large groups gathered for the holiday festivities. 
..snip..snip..
RM       

Keep your day job, just stay off the internet and giving Terrorists ideas.

thanks

Just pure fiction above.  Surely there's no terrorist threat from within CAP, because we have a system to ensure that only true Americans are allowed to join our organization and fly our aircraft, and we also have via our flight release program positive control of our aircraft,  don't we ???

RM

cap235629

Back in the days of the Cold War I found Brown's books entertaining.  As the nineties wore on it got stale.  When he wrote that god awful Tin Man I stopped reading him altogether.

Any thoughts?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Nikos

What was the name of his book with the B52 in it?  I think it might have been one of his first books???

cap235629

Quote from: Nikos on July 03, 2011, 12:43:36 AM
What was the name of his book with the B52 in it?  I think it might have been one of his first books???

ALL OF THEM well except maybe 2 or 3
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Nikos

I think found it,    "Flight of the Old Dog".

Persona non grata

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 02, 2011, 10:51:44 PM
Wow I can think of another "spin" on a fiction novel depicting Civil Air Patrol.     Terrorist cells (associated with Al-Qaeda) throughout the US join Civil Air Patrol as pilots and while engaged in basically unsupervised "flying club" activity, are planning to launch attacks with home made aerial bombs (explosives, biological, chemical), across the United States on the 4th of July against large groups gathered for the holiday festivities. 
..snip..snip..
RM       

thanks

Just pure fiction above.  Surely there's no terrorist threat from within CAP, because we have a system to ensure that only true Americans are allowed to join our organization and fly our aircraft, and we also have via our flight release program positive control of our aircraft,  don't we ???

RM

As a former agent, I have several security measures in place.  In addtion to the finger print card, we conduct a VSA test and conduCt a a character test.  In regards to the flight release thing, My OPS Officer is with me at all times carrying a black pelican case with FRO go codes.  The pilot and observer must authenticate the code before launch of the AC.  In the event of a DR mission, My Group Ground Team witch is lead bay a former SAC guy, scrambles to my location in a black van and rushes me to where  the CAP flight is.  Once I am aboard CAP FLIGHT #xxxx changes call sign to looking glass where I have command and control of all Group AC and Ground teams.    ;D  Now thats some Fiction RM :)

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 02, 2011, 10:51:44 PM
..snip..snip..
RM       

thanks

RM

Sounds to me like we've gone from "All CAP members who wear USAF uniforms are wannabes" to "CAP members are terrorists."

NIN

Quote from: eaker.cadet on July 03, 2011, 02:54:42 AM
As a former agent, I have several security measures in place.  In addtion to the finger print card, we conduct a VSA test and conduCt a a character test.  In regards to the flight release thing, My OPS Officer is with me at all times carrying a black pelican case with FRO go codes.  The pilot and observer must authenticate the code before launch of the AC.  In the event of a DR mission, My Group Ground Team witch is lead bay a former SAC guy, scrambles to my location in a black van and rushes me to where  the CAP flight is.  Once I am aboard CAP FLIGHT #xxxx changes call sign to looking glass where I have command and control of all Group AC and Ground teams.    ;D  Now thats some Fiction RM :)

I dunno about anybody else, but I literally LOL'd when I was reading this.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

If I'm ever in the neighborhood of Westover,  I swear I'm making extra time to attend a meeting.. I'm pretty sure it would be entertaining to say the least. ;-)

Keep Wishing ...

Persona non grata

On a serious note: I have never read a DB book....You guys have peaked my interest in the writer so witch book would you recommend reading first or staying away from.

Thanks

cap235629

Flight of the Old Dog.

start there and let you own personal taste lead the way...
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Persona non grata

Thanks   I am going to start looking for a e copy for the e reader.

Regards,
Jay

BillB

Most City or County libraries have the Dale Brown books.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104