CAP participation at political events

Started by vmstan, September 06, 2010, 08:18:20 PM

vmstan

I seem to recall a thread about this coming up a few months ago, but my search abilities were unable to bring it back from the grave. This caught my eye on a Google Alert today.

http://www.omakchronicle.com/nws/n100905a.shtml
QuoteOMAK - A Constitution eve service is planned for 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 16, in Civic League Park on Ash Street, Omak.
     The service will commemorate the signing of the Constitution on Sept. 17, 1787, and will begin with a formal presentation of the colors by the Okanogan-area Northern Desert Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, an announcement said.
     Following the Pledge of Allegiance and singing of the national anthem, a commentary on the historic event will be read. The colors will be retired by the Civil Air Patrol.
     The public event is planned by the Okanogan County Tea Party Patriots in coordination the Civil Air Patrol.
     A group studying the Constitution using Skoussen's "5,000 Year Leap" as the primary resource will meet afterward. The discussion group is open to anyone interested, organizers said.

Maybe it's just the way it was worded, but I'm not a fan of the way it links us with a political group.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Major Carrales

Quote from: Marshalus on September 06, 2010, 08:18:20 PM
I seem to recall a thread about this coming up a few months ago, but my search abilities were unable to bring it back from the grave. This caught my eye on a Google Alert today.

http://www.omakchronicle.com/nws/n100905a.shtml
QuoteOMAK - A Constitution eve service is planned for 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 16, in Civic League Park on Ash Street, Omak.
     The service will commemorate the signing of the Constitution on Sept. 17, 1787, and will begin with a formal presentation of the colors by the Okanogan-area Northern Desert Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, an announcement said.
     Following the Pledge of Allegiance and singing of the national anthem, a commentary on the historic event will be read. The colors will be retired by the Civil Air Patrol.
     The public event is planned by the Okanogan County Tea Party Patriots in coordination the Civil Air Patrol.
     A group studying the Constitution using Skoussen's "5,000 Year Leap" as the primary resource will meet afterward. The discussion group is open to anyone interested, organizers said.

Maybe it's just the way it was worded, but I'm not a fan of the way it links us with a political group.

September 17 is US Constitution day, it is a Holiday as much as Flag Day and the like.  I see nothing political in what is planned other than a ceremony honoring the US Cosntitution.  That is, unless someone see's the Constitution as somehow abhorant.

Seems to me the News Paper in question may have alterned meaning of the story with the wording.  It is a "public event," the Civil Air Patrol is merely posting the colors.  I've had media do worse.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Майор Хаткевич

The problem is, the "Tea Party" is a political "organization" which on numerous occasions speaks out against the government and government officials. This is the second time a CAP unit has been involved and mentioned on this forum, and while posting the flag isn't screaming support, it sure looks that way. IIWASCC (If I Was A Squadron Commander), I would decline performing at one of these events hosted by the "Tea Party".

vmstan

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 06, 2010, 08:27:55 PM
September 17 is US Constitution day, it is a Holiday as much as Flag Day and the like.  I see nothing political in what is planned other than a ceremony honoring the US Cosntitution.  That is, unless someone see's the Constitution as somehow abhorant.

Seems to me the News Paper in question may have alterned meaning of the story with the wording.  It is a "public event," the Civil Air Patrol is merely posting the colors.  I've had media do worse.

Granted, I'll give you that. No problem with a flag ceremony honoring the Constitution. I think it just has to do with who the rally is affiliated with. Let's say the article read that CAP was doing the ceremony honoring the Constitution along with the The Black Panther Party, or the American Nazi Party. Would you feel the same way? Can you draw a line on what an acceptable association would be?

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed

Major Carrales

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 06, 2010, 08:34:02 PM
The problem is, the "Tea Party" is a political "organization" which on numerous occasions speaks out against the government and government officials. This is the second time a CAP unit has been involved and mentioned on this forum, and while posting the flag isn't screaming support, it sure looks that way. IIWASCC (If I Was A Squadron Commander), I would decline performing at one of these events hosted by the "Tea Party".

Each of these organizations is different.  Some just offer education on the US Constitution....others are political action groups.  I would have to learn more about this one to make a determination.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Marshalus on September 06, 2010, 08:45:22 PM

Granted, I'll give you that. No problem with a flag ceremony honoring the Constitution. I think it just has to do with who the rally is affiliated with. Let's say the article read that CAP was doing the ceremony honoring the Constitution along with the The Black Panther Party, or the American Nazi Party. Would you feel the same way? Can you draw a line on what an acceptable association would be?

Nazis and Black Panthers do not equal tea party movements no more than Democrats and Unions equate to Communists or Trostski-ites.

Let's know more about the event and organization before rushing to judgements.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Майор Хаткевич

The way it broke down in the last thread was something along the lines of:

Current government official events (not that those don't show up at Tea Parties).
VFWs/American Legion/Etc groups.
Community events.

I wouldn't show up to post the colors for a running candidate in order to avoid making it seem like we support a certain candidate over an incumbent/other party.

It's a tricky slope.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 06, 2010, 08:48:47 PM
Nazis and Black Panthers do not equal tea party movements no more than Democrats and Unions equate to Communists or Trostski-ites.

I have yet to see a Tea Party event in Chicago where our President isn't pictured without a Hitler mustache and similar connotations in writing. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 06, 2010, 08:49:12 PM

The way it broke down in the last thread was something along the lines of:

Current government official events (not that those don't show up at Tea Parties).
VFWs/American Legion/Etc groups.
Community events.

I wouldn't show up to post the colors for a running candidate in order to avoid making it seem like we support a certain candidate over an incumbent/other party.

It's a tricky slope.

What about a televised debate where the colors are to be posted?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 06, 2010, 08:50:39 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 06, 2010, 08:48:47 PM

I have yet to see a Tea Party event in Chicago where our President isn't pictured without a Hitler mustache and similar connotations in writing.

There are loons in every crowd, was not long ago I saw protestors with depitctions of Bush as a monkey, as Hitler, called WAR CRIMINAL and the like all from people proporting to support everything from Environmentalism to PEACE.   Some of the spectacle at some other parades on the WEST coast are too inapropriate to be posted on a CAP related forum.

This these people speak for the whole?  I should hope not.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

vmstan

And how would you feel if CAP was presenting colors at their parade?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Marshalus on September 06, 2010, 09:12:22 PM
And how would you feel if CAP was presenting colors at their parade?

If it were a Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, News Year's Day, Independence Day or other parade where the a CAP Color Guard was marching and, say the next float was a Gay Pride, Tea Party or other such thing would it constitute endorcement? 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

NIN

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 06, 2010, 08:34:02 PM

Yeah, if its was "The Okanogan County Ladies Tea Party" (as in white gloves and cucumber sandwiches), t'would be a little different conversation we'd be having, huh?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

vmstan

Major Carrales

In anycase, after presenting much of the "Devil's Advocacy" on the matter...in the end, I would likely have thought better of it as the Squadron Commander.

The fact is that politics and religion are precarious areas when official CAP actvitiy is concerned.  If this event is merely a ceremony where the US Constitution is honored, its history is recounted and constitutional scholarship is presented...then it's a go.  If it become political "bashing and posturing" its a no go.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

If an event is hosted by any group with a political agenda, even if that isn't what that particular event is about, we should stay away.  If the Democratic Party hosted a rally celebrating the cuteness of kittens, CAP shouldn't be there. 

DakRadz

Quote from: RiverAux on September 06, 2010, 09:53:23 PM
If an event is hosted by any group with a political agenda, even if that isn't what that particular event is about, we should stay away.  If the Democratic Party hosted a rally celebrating the cuteness of kittens, CAP shouldn't be there.

Speak for yourself- they had Mr. Tinkles from Cats vs. Dogs at that rally. I went.

As a cadet, I'd still express concern to my Project Officer if we were going to anything politically sponsored.
Then again, politics give me a headache, so I don't wanna listen to it during my enjoyable cadet time ;)

Major Carrales

Quote from: DakRadz on September 06, 2010, 09:59:45 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 06, 2010, 09:53:23 PM

Speak for yourself- they had Mr. Tinkles from Cats vs. Dogs at that rally. I went.

As a cadet, I'd still express concern to my Project Officer if we were going to anything politically sponsored.
Then again, politics give me a headache, so I don't wanna listen to it during my enjoyable cadet time ;)

Why not contact the commander of said squadron for a comment or explanation of that is really going on instead of speculating on this?  Last time I talked to Southwest Region on a certain matter, one of you take the lead on this one.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Patterson

Who cares?!?!  If we are to say no to this event, we must say no to ALL EVENTS, as all events have a particular cause.  So in the feel good non political happiness world we all live in today, I say let's shut down operations so we do not offend anyone.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Patterson on September 08, 2010, 04:19:59 AM
Who cares?!?!  If we are to say no to this event, we must say no to ALL EVENTS, as all events have a particular cause.  So in the feel good non political happiness world we all live in today, I say let's shut down operations so we do not offend anyone.

We say NO to political events...