How to Behave on the Internet - A Guide by NHQ

Started by capn_shad, July 15, 2010, 10:13:56 PM

capn_shad

Interesting "membership communique" up now on eServices.  https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/Communique_to_the_Membership.pdf

It would appear that someone at NHQ is concerned that you folks are not behaving appropriately on the interwebs (yes, I know about the mystery blogger, but I'm concerned at the rather broad brush strokes being used here).

Discuss!
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer
Pueblo Eagles Composite Squadron

Patterson

^ I am "out of the loop" on this one.  This is my very first forum I have ever been on.  I would like to read what the letter addresses.  Could someone PM me?  The letter has made me more curious as it was filled with suspense! 

I thought anyone could say anything about whatever they wanted as long as it was not a threat or of an illegal nature??

If I said "All Pink Panda Bears are murderers", does that mean the Association for Pink Pandas would write up a counterpoint article calling me a liar and bad person?!?!

So I take it from the letter that any report of Fraud, Waste or Abuse against CAP or its members is a lie, and we should not report such things or we will be an "ex-member", and publicly called out as such?

Well my name is on here, as is my first name, so I guess anyone could look me up then.  I better stop typing or may find myself as the subject of a damage control letter.

Really?!?!  Was that letter really needed?

Major Lord

They are most certainly referring to a former, a certainly disgruntled, CAP member who does frequently post defamatory E-mails on his website. On the other hand, his information was responsible for the removal of the past National Commander for cause, so although he is clearly a nut, he is sometimes right on the money. I will have to go a'web surfin' and see what he is saying these days!

What concerns me is this unattributed "Communique" . The author users lawyerly parsing to dance around a bit. Here is one example: "In accordance with our regulations, because allegations were lodged they were investigated by Inspector General inquiries which have absolved the National Commander of any wrongdoing. Likewise, similar personal attacks against other BoG and NEC leaders are without any basis in fact."

The second sentence implies that if the IG found no wrongdoing on the part of the National Commander, "similar personal attacks" are without any basis in fact".  This seems to imply that the matters' accusations were disposed of by the IG, without actually stating this. Were they? Nor does the document dispel the idea that the accusations against the National Commander were baseless, only that the NC was absolved of wrongdoing. By this logic, if the accusations against the NC were factually correct, but did not violate regulations ( or the ones we are really serious about) The accusations against the BOG and NEC must be true.....I think the simile is weak.

In all IG investigations, the IG conducts a preliminary survey to determine if an actual investigation is required. Did the accusations involved rise to the level of an actual investigation, or merely a preliminary survey? Have we seen IG preliminary surveys in the past where the matter was disposed of, but later evolved to a higher level? Or where matters involving clear violations went un-investigated due to level of the subject of the inquiry? Better to keep it transparent.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RiverAux

So warn the current members about something a former member is doing? 

Ned

Quote from: Patterson on July 15, 2010, 11:36:26 PM
^ I am "out of the loop" on this one.   ( . . . )

I thought anyone could say anything about whatever they wanted as long as it was not a threat or of an illegal nature??

Our Constitution guarantees all of us freedom of speech. 

But with rights comes responsibilites.  You have touched on a few - you can't threaten others, pass along classified information, shout "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.

CAP members have an additional responsiblity to abide by our Core Values, including the Core Value of Respect. 

(Obviously non-members are not bound by our Core Values, but must still follow the law and whatever moral compass they possess.)

QuoteIf I said "All Pink Panda Bears are murderers", does that mean the Association for Pink Pandas would write up a counterpoint article calling me a liar and bad person?!?!

They could, of course.  It is hard to imagine that the Association for Pink Pandas has fewer First Amendment rights than you do.

The point is that organizations get to decide how best to respond to information being posted about them.  If the information is critical, it should probably be evaluated and if it is correct, then the organization should make necessary changes to avoid future missteps.  Even anonymous criticism can be correct and point out necessary changes.

But if malicious information (and by that I would include knowingly posting false information, or posting factually correct information that is deliberately slanted/spun/presented out of context in a way calculated to make it look bad) is posted in an attempt to force a person or organization to take certain actions not otherwise warranted, problems may arise.

QuoteSo I take it from the letter that any report of Fraud, Waste or Abuse against CAP or its members is a lie, and we should not report such things or we will be an "ex-member", and publicly called out as such?

From an academic standpoint, this is a fairly good illustration of a mild version of the issue.  Nothing in the letter suggests that "any report of Fraud Waste, or Abuse against CAP or its members is a lie, and we should not report such things or we will be an 'ex-member'." 

Indeed, sadly there have been instances of our members committing FWA that was uncovered by other members.  All CAP members have a duty to report FWA, and CAP even has an aggressive Whistleblower's Protection Program in CAPR 123-2.

One way to respond to an allegation to the effect of "CAP considers any report of Fraud Waste, or Abuse against CAP or its members is a lie, and terminates members for making truthful reports"  would be to simply ignore the allegation.  In most cases that is what organizations do, if for no other reason that it is tough to keep track of all of the false negative information that may be floating around the blogosphere.

Another choice is to publicly and truthfully respond to the allegations in an open and transparent way, as I hope I have done in the paragraph above by denying the allegation and pointing out why it is incorrect. 

CAP has simply chosen to respond to some allegations in an open and transparent way, presenting truthful information.

QuoteWell my name is on here, as is my first name, so I guess anyone could look me up then.  I better stop typing or may find myself as the subject of a damage control letter.

All of us are responsible for our actions, including all that we do or say.   If you are posting things that are inconsistent with the law and/or our Core Values, you may wish to reconsider your posting style.

QuoteReally?!?!  Was that letter really needed?

We'll see.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: capn_shad on July 15, 2010, 10:13:56 PM
Interesting "membership communique" up now on eServices.  https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/Communique_to_the_Membership.pdf

It would appear that someone at NHQ is concerned that you folks are not behaving appropriately on the interwebs (yes, I know about the mystery blogger, but I'm concerned at the rather broad brush strokes being used here).
Discuss!
Perhaps "The Blogger" has won to a certain extent. >:D  Not positive who they are talking about, but perhaps it is:

http://[bannedurl]/ete_insights/cap_insights.php  :angel:

Surely he does bring up some organizational & personnel intrigue for CAP'ers to try to digest >:D   As an example -- membership statistics are interesting, don't seem to see a monthly posting yet showing totals, category totals, and wing/region totals -- So I guess the intrigue would be what does CAP have to hide :(   Most squadron members can see for themselves how many cadets & senior members are on their books, and how many real show up on a regular basis for unit meetings.  :-[ 

I think most CAP'ers have the capability to determine for themselves via their personal experiences in CAP as well as reading the various pro & anti CAP websites/blogs about what's going on in CAP, and I personally don't see the value in CAP posting what they did on their website.  Sort of just believe what's on our website and not anyone elses.

What I find disturbing is the potential that CAP will start employing "correctness" police to visit various website and/or review posting and report to their superiors what they have learned.  Anytime anyone in CAP starts talking "core values" be careful (it's the all inclusive way I got ya now dirtbag member)  I know some CAP'ers that have had personal negative experiences with this already (and it was nothing they said that was negative or an attack on an individual).

I think in the end CAP as an organization is going to have to be VERY careful on how they approach this 'freedom of speech" issue.   It is CIVIL Air Patrol, and frankly unless someone is at a CAP meeting, CAP sponsored function, or signed into a CAP mission, they have absolutely NO authority/control over what a member posts on a website/blog, email, verbally in their "real" life.   

Whatever gets posted, I think the vast majority of the civilian (and military) population really could care less about Civil Air Patrol anyways :angel:

RM 

FW

I find it interesting that another "blogger" who also happens to be a "former disgruntled member" published this letter a week before it made it to the CAP website. 

As one who has been attacked by both, I really don't take much credence in either. However, each side seems to get some information correct.  It is our responsibility, as CT contributors and, as CAP members, to research all the information possible before making any opinions or decisions.

As CAP members, as NED says so well,  our core values must take precedence.  There are proper ways of dealing with wrongs in CAP.  As long as the system is not corrupted, we should expect the system to work.  Those "core values" must really mean something or we have nothing at all.

IMHO, this letter should never have seen the light of day.  I have no idea who is the author and, no inclination why, as members, we should be concerned with these sites other than for entertainment purposes.  We can't control their content nor can we influence the decisions of the Board of Governors, NEC or NB by acting in bad faith.  This letter appears to serve no purpose other than the possible threat of adverse actions taken on members who may voice an opinion which may be contrary to the leadership.  I hope I'm wrong in this assessment.

ZigZag911

Quote from: FW on July 16, 2010, 03:33:03 AM
This letter appears to serve no purpose other than the possible threat of adverse actions taken on members who may voice an opinion which may be contrary to the leadership.  I hope I'm wrong in this assessment.

I read the document in the original link several times; I don't find any such threat, explicit or implied.

Could you please cite the passage you consider threatening? possibly I'm missing something.

In any case, one aspect of the Internet is that many users assume it provides total anonymity (which of course is not the case) and so post things that are in fact false, defamatory, or vulgar, often attacking other individuals and groups. They think they are hidden and can post tings that they'd never express face to face (whether out of courtesy or cowardice, it hardly matters which)

Because so many people take everything they find on the web as true, it probably is necessary for organizations and individuals to defend themselves, and to keep members advised of the truth (or,a t least, the other side of the story!)

And, I feel, it is important to hold  accountable those who misuse their freedoms to harm others. We are,a after all, each responsible for our personal words and actions.

FW

^"Social media communications strategies, are currently being explored by a committee consisting of members and NHQ staff to determine recommendations designed to assist members in using these resources to our best advantage."

We have been debating this issue for some time.  Our corporate legal counsel and many others have said there is not much we can do, as an organization, with these "bloggers" or social media.  Knowing this puts a slant on this publication which,to me, seems a bit suspicious. Maybe I've become cynical in my old age.  With over 8 years of NB experience spanning over 12 years, I probably am reading more into this than is really there.  However, maybe I'm not.... ???

Note:  In 1999, 2 bloggers (also former disgruntled members and, also from SER) created such a fuss, the FBI, OSI and congress got involved with CAP.  Guess what happened.... 8)

JC004

It has been some time since I've seen the rantings of the individual's blog in question, but I wonder if he said something in particular that made them decide to release this.  This has, after all, been going on for quite some time.  I guess that he has been after Maj Gen Courter for some time now.

I like how they mention having a committee exploring social media.  *sigh*  Back in February, I met some of the very best experts in this who were involved with 2008 election campaigns and that's not exactly the approach they had to this... BLAH!  I really hope that a revised 110-1 comes out of this committee!  We need that badly.  I also really hope that it's people with good ideas and a grasp of the area instead of just whatever group of people were suckers for more work.  :-)

NIN

You can also look at it like this: To some extent, bloggers can conduct the cyberspace equivalent of "asymmetric warfare" against organizations that are not a savvy in the "blogosphere" or "teh Interwebs."   

Think of this in sort of a "new media vs. old media" way:  Organizations, like CAP and others, are accustomed to doing their "PR/PA/public outreach" via press releases, etc.  They don't have their own mouthpiece, per se, and thus tend to move slower, react less, and are less prone to respond "tït for tat" with a blogger.  (another membership organization I belong to has similar issues, however, they've been a little more adroit in addressing these things, with BOD members posting on online forums, etc... That particular organization isn't quite as hidebound by regulations and such as CAP is)   However, any clown with a credit card, an Internet connection and some extra time can suddenly become an "oracle of truth" just because he setup a blog and publishes what appears to be "interesting facts."

CAP isn't going to start up its own blog called "[Redacted blogger's name] is a big fat idiot and a liar." because it just serves to further legitimize the claims made by clearly off-balance people.  Claims have been made, investigated, found to be baseless, and we move on.  Meanwhile these people are out there, garnering a small audience, and attempting to replace fact with opinion, and, well, sad to say, a lot of "media consumers" these days just aren't able to differentiate between the two. 

Just because some guy takes the time to write [poorly] online doesn't mean what he is saying is correct, factual or even remotely based in reality. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DogCollar

I hope that what I am about to say offends no one.  The comments ARE NOT directed at anyone on this forum.

It seems to me that in this age of instant communication (blogs, tweets, IM's, etc...) that people have more opportunities to exercise their constitutional right to free speech with great abandon.  However, with rights comes responsibility.  The first responsibility is to know when to exercise self-censorship.  While I have the right to say almost anything I want...I also have the responsibility to be a member of this society, and if what I say has the possible effect of creating anger or disorder, I should have the wherewithal to pause and think if what I want to say is really worth it, even if it is the unadulterated truth!

I read the website for my local newspaper.  Like a lot of newspaper websites it has a feature where persons can write in a forum about the news stories on the website.  All of it is anonymous.  People write the most vile, angry and disturbing comments on this site, their free speech protected by the newspaper.  However, because it is all anonymous, the writers own no responsibility for self-censorship.

I believe in free speech.  I also believe in civil discourse.  I am fearful that they have become mutually exclusive propositions in our society. 

Again, if I have offended anyone, I apologize upfront.  If I have hijacked the thread towards broader themes and principles, I apologize to the original poster and the moderators.  I thank those of you that have taken the time to read this.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

DogCollar,

I agree with what you wrote, and find it true of the reality we live with today.

There was just a big uproar on Blizzard forums, the makers of World of Warcraft, that users on their forums, due to trolling and personal attacks, would have to have their names listed...that proclamation lasted all of 5 minutes...anonymous won again.

JC004

People are always going to write nasty things online.  The anonymity available encourages that.   I was reading a news article this morning about the minor DC metro area earthquake.  People were fighting because people from places like CA thought a 3.x earthquake a joke and people from the DC area thought it was crazy.  So people were calling one another "moron," "idiot," etc. over it.  Agh.

People will use their freedoms for all kinds of things - some of them bad.  People kinda suck like that.  What I wonder about is if National has a grasp on all this.  Some organizations stick themselves on Twitter or some such place and think that it is like old media, just on a screen.  It's not.  One thing that I learned from the very best experts in this is that you (as an organization, political candidate, etc.) don't get to decide what is important anymore.  The people on those sites will decide what's important and run with it.  "Message control" as we have been taught in the past is dead.  Stone dead.

It's all about how you play this game now.  You've got to have a deep understanding of this medium in order to win here.  Damage control PR like the Tylenol crisis still gives great lessons, but there is an additional layer to this medium and it will make or break them.

Since I suspect they don't want my experience with this, I can only do as I've done in the past, which is watch in either humor or horror as they implode.  So far, it has only been in horror and frustration, watching them delay, send to committee, attempt to control using PR 1.0, and otherwise not get this medium.  PR as the Boomers and Gen X learned it in college is dead.  But since they want to go this alone without the help of the general membership's incredible talent pool, we'll see how they do, I guess.   :(

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on July 17, 2010, 01:07:52 AMYou've got to have a deep understanding of this medium in order to win here.

The only way to win is not to play.

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

Fred, I agree with you & the legal eagles that controlling CAP members' use of social media is going to be a lot like herding cats!

Having said that, though, I also support Dog Collar's point: people need to realize that actions have consequences.

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2010, 01:35:32 AM
Quote from: JC004 on July 17, 2010, 01:07:52 AMYou've got to have a deep understanding of this medium in order to win here.

The only way to win is not to play.

Maybe.  That doesn't seem to have worked so far and now they ARE playing. 

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 17, 2010, 01:37:04 AM
Fred, I agree with you & the legal eagles that controlling CAP members' use of social media is going to be a lot like herding cats!

Having said that, though, I also support Dog Collar's point: people need to realize that actions have consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE

ZigZag911

JC004

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 17, 2010, 01:44:07 AM
JC004: great video!

Thanks.  As you can see, it was shot at a National Board meeting.

FW

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 17, 2010, 01:37:04 AM

Yes, that is quite true.  However, as James' "national board video" plainly shows; it is next to impossible to get control of this; especially using "legacy systems". 

I agree with those who say we need new approaches in dealing with new media.  Members need to be proactive, professional and, provide truthful rebuttal to those who print distortions or lies.  Organizations must allow members to express opinions through social media; providing those opinions are expressed with the same parameters. 

Also, an open, transparent and, "inclusive" governance model of CAP will go far in keeping bad "e-press" from holding us down.  But, that is another topic all together.