Rank with no specialty track rating

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, June 04, 2010, 05:54:07 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

How is it that some one is a CPT without having even a technician rating in a specialty track? Isn't having a specialty track rating part of Level 2 requirements?

whatevah

If that person was a Spaatz cadet, real military Captain or met one of the professional skills (medical doctor is one, IIRC) then that individual would be given Captain after completing what I call the probation period. :) 

Psst, it's in the regs.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

manfredvonrichthofen

lordmonar

Report it up the chain of command....that's in the regs as well.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Read CAPR 35-5, and CAPR 50-17, and them come back here with more information about the circumstances you are questioning.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Then tell us what it is and not play 20 questions. 

If you read CAPR 35-5, you will find that CFIs, ATPs, A&P w/IA, and Instrument Ground Instructors are just a few of the skills that can be appointed to Capt without a requirement to be in a specialty track. 

Just curious, why did you pick the name of an enemy of our country for your user name?  Yes, he was impressive but so is OBL.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

manfredvonrichthofen

Because Richthofen was a person I looked up to while I was in Iraq. The way he engaged in combat and treated the enemy was the way I wanted to.

DBlair

There are a lot of ways (much to the dislike of some) to be a Captain without having to choose/earn a special rating.

- Accountants
- Doctors (Physician, Dentist, or other health professional with a doctorate degree in a health care discipline.)
- Lawyers
- Spaatz Cadet (but by default he/she would automatically have a Senior Rating in CP)
- Eaker Cadet (+18 mo)(automatically Tech CP Rating and Level II complete, but just wait TIG for Capt)
- Real Military Officer Grade = Captain (O3)
- Real Military Enlisted Grade = E9
- CFI/CFII or ATP
- A&P Mechanic w/Inspection Authorization
- Ground Instrument Instructor
- Chaplain
- Teacher (A professional educator who has served as a teacher, counselor, school administrator, college or university professor or other faculty member)

(I think these are all of the possible fast-tracks to Captain)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

JoeTomasone

Be appointed as a Group Commander - can be promoted as high as Major.

Pylon

You can also get it for serving as a squadron commander for a year, too. Auto 1st Lt on appointment and Capt after a 1-year in the billet.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

N Harmon

1. Join CAP and immediately take the job of squadron commander -- 1st Lt.
2. Command squadron for a year -- Captain.
3. Get appointment as group commander -- Major.
4. Get appointment as wing commander -- Colonel.
5. Get appointment as national vice commander -- Brig General.
6. Get appointment as national commander -- Maj General.

All without a specialty track rating. It's possible, but probably not very likely past step 3.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

a2capt

Personally, I think only being on a units rolls for about 63 hours, I would spend my time doing something else other than questioning awards and ribbons.

Good luck with that.

Eclipse

Be prior service at or above the respective rating.

Be appointed as the commander of the state's Legislative unit - Lt. Col.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: N Harmon on June 04, 2010, 02:17:38 PM
1. Join CAP and immediately take the job of squadron commander -- 1st Lt.
2. Command squadron for a year -- Captain.
3. Get appointment as group commander -- Major.
4. Get appointment as wing commander -- Colonel.
5. Get appointment as national vice commander -- Brig General.
6. Get appointment as national commander -- Maj General.

All without a specialty track rating. It's possible, but probably not very likely past step 3.

You can't make major as a group commander without level two. At least that's what they told my group commander.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ßτε

QuoteGroup Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member up to the grade of major concurrent with the member's appointment as group commander. NOTE: AFIADL 13 or CAP Officer Basic Course must be completed prior to advancement to the grade of major.

manfredvonrichthofen

Ok, I didn't know accounting would get a rank like that. Thank you.

Майор Хаткевич

Accountants should get the credit for learning what they do...

Here's to passing my finals next Friday for the 101 class!

davidsinn

Quote from: bte on June 04, 2010, 03:51:02 PM
QuoteGroup Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member up to the grade of major concurrent with the member's appointment as group commander. NOTE: AFIADL 13 or CAP Officer Basic Course must be completed prior to advancement to the grade of major.

It was the ECI13/OBC that was holding him back.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vmstan

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 04, 2010, 04:25:22 PM
Accountants should get the credit for learning what they do...

Here's to passing my finals next Friday for the 101 class!

After watching my wife work towards her CPA, I would have no problem saluting her.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

DBlair

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 04, 2010, 04:03:36 PM

Finance Officers. Upon successful completion of Level I, the unit commander may initiate a CAPF 2 on qualified finance officers, recommending appointment to an appropriate grade, as outlined below.

(1) First Lieutenant. A financial professional with an associate's degree in accounting and 2 years verified work experience in the accounting profession or a high school diploma and 5 years of verified work experience in the accounting profession.

(2) Captain. A financial professional with a bachelor's degree in accounting and 2 years verified work experience in the accounting profession or a master's degree in accounting, certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA).

(3) Major. A financial professional with a master's degree in accounting, certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA) that has served 1 year time-in-grade as a captain may be appointed to the grade of major.

Rather than constantly (from what I've seen of your posts) trying to find every way around requirements for promotions and ribbons, how about doing things the right way and try to be of service to CAP. The promotions and awards will come with your involvement and service to CAP, but trying to find every way to squeeze out a promotion or ribbon isn't becoming of a new SM and doesn't make you look good to your fellow members. Keep that in mind.

Sure, most of us like to be promoted or get another ribbon, but it should never be our constant focus as it seems it is for you. If that is why you rejoined, then I will have to say that you joined for the wrong reason, and to be honest, with the way you are trying to squeeze the regs for ribbons and promotions, it makes me wonder the legitimacy of the ribbons you have thus far.

Eclipse

^ I'm not sure that's really fair - he's been out of CAP for a while and it sounds like there is not a lot of info coming out of
his home staffers.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I really am not getting too much info, I get enough to get me through my level one, which I did, but so far as the specialty tracks, I'm really not getting much help. I was told to get onto the website and see what there is. If I were after rank and ribbons, I would have my 2nd LT. I have all the necessary block checked for an auto promotion to 2nd LT, but no, I want to get everything I can so that I can start to be of use to my unit. I started this thread because I wanted to know what this captain was specialized in for his rank. He has been in since I was a cadet at the same squadron and still has no specialty track I was just curious but didn't want to ask him because I was afraid that he might feel a bit insulted by me asking so I was trying to ask around with him being anonymous so he didn't get any sort of hazing or adverse treatment.

Short Field

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 05, 2010, 01:58:01 AM
If I were after rank and ribbons, I would have my 2nd LT. I have all the necessary block checked for an auto promotion to 2nd LT, but no, I want to get everything I can so that I can start to be of use to my unit.
If you qualify for a promotion, then you need to tell someone in your unit so you can be promoted.  The ONLY reason not to be promoted in CAP is if you are not qualified for promotion.

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 05, 2010, 01:58:01 AM
I started this thread because I wanted to know what this captain was specialized in for his rank. He has been in since I was a cadet at the same squadron and still has no specialty track I was just curious but didn't want to ask him because I was afraid that he might feel a bit insulted by me asking so I was trying to ask around with him being anonymous so he didn't get any sort of hazing or adverse treatment.
If he has been a Capt since you were a cadet, I seriously doubt he is gong to face any hazing or adverse treatment if he is legit.  If he is not legit, then that is a matter for the Squadron Commander to address.  You still haven't told us anything about him.  We have told you all the different ways he could be promoted to Capt so by know you should have figured out the answer.     
Wilson #2640

manfredvonrichthofen

If you read back Sort Field, you'll see where I did understand where his earned rank of CPT came from.

Short Field

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 05, 2010, 10:07:53 AM
If you read back Sort Field, you'll see where I did understand where his earned rank of CPT came from.
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 04, 2010, 04:03:36 PM

I sure missed this reference to the Capt... 
Wilson #2640

Custer

Quote from: whatevah on June 04, 2010, 05:58:08 AM
If that person was a Spaatz cadet, real military Captain or met one of the professional skills (medical doctor is one, IIRC) then that individual would be given Captain after completing what I call the probation period. :) 
Psst, it's in the regs.
Which would be me.  Captains rank with no membership ribbon.  On the grey/white I don't have military wings on to clue you in as to what happened, either.

dhon27

Quote from: Custer on June 05, 2010, 08:06:00 PM

Which would be me.  Captains rank with no membership ribbon. 

Just curious, but how does that work?  CAPR 35-5 requires completion of Level 1 for any senior member officer appointment or promotion.  Has your unit just not processed your CAPF 2a to wear the Membership Ribbon?

Custer

Quote from: dhon27 on June 05, 2010, 09:49:28 PM

Just curious, but how does that work?  CAPR 35-5 requires completion of Level 1 for any senior member officer appointment or promotion.  Has your unit just not processed your CAPF 2a to wear the Membership Ribbon?
I had the Mitchell award as a cadet, which covered level 1.  I have that and an encampment ribbon with one clasp left over from my cadet days in the 70's.  I don't have the membership ribbon as I have not completed the actual senior level 1, though I am in the process of doing it at the moment.

Майор Хаткевич

Mitchell got you Captain? I want in on that deal!

davidsinn

Quote from: Custer on June 06, 2010, 12:35:00 AM
Quote from: dhon27 on June 05, 2010, 09:49:28 PM

I had the Mitchell award as a cadet, which covered level 1.  I have that and an encampment ribbon with one clasp left over from my cadet days in the 70's.  I don't have the membership ribbon as I have not completed the actual senior level 1, though I am in the process of doing it at the moment.

You can not wear any grade insignia without completing level one first no matter how you go about earning the grade.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Custer

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 06, 2010, 02:46:21 AM
Mitchell got you Captain? I want in on that deal!

Mitchell would have gotten me 2nd Lt, my medical license would have gotten me 1st Lt, but my retired US Army rank gets me Captain.  And since all three get me the same paycheck and the same ability to participate in the same things, I'm not that concerned about which one I am, either.

Level 1 is something that can be done online in a couple of hours, the main delay is waiting to show up in the online system so I can actually do it, and I can't wear ANY uniform until that happens anyway.

All I ever see anybody wear in this unit are polo shirts and Cessna shirts.  I don't know what rank most of them are.  Since that Cessna shirt from vanguard is not actually a uniform,  I got one of those to wear while I'm waiting for my paperwork to go through.

Cecil DP

Mitchell got you the Orientation course, It didn't get you through CPPT, EEO, Ground Aircraft Handling, and OPSEC all of which are part of Level 1
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

dhon27

And to clarify further, Mitchell only satisfies the Foundations course requirement if you have less than a two year membership break.  So, if you were out of CAP for more than 2 years after being a cadet, you still have to complete the Foundations course, as well as all the other components of Level 1 (Note: I don't believe that AC Ground Handling is required for Level 1 per CAPR 50-17).  Completing Level 1 gets you the Membership Ribbon.  Special Appointments based on commissioned officer service still require completion of Level 1 before they can be processed.   Such promotions are not automatic, but within the discretion of the promoting authority.

In sum, you have to be eligible to receive the Membership Ribbon before you can be promoted to any grade, regardless of the basis for the appointment or promotion.

Hope that clarifies things!

Custer

Quote from: dhon27 on June 06, 2010, 04:51:56 AM
In sum, you have to be eligible to receive the Membership Ribbon before you can be promoted to any grade, regardless of the basis for the appointment or promotion.Hope that clarifies things!

It would, but I understand all that.  Until I have a CAPID I can't wear any uniform anyway, and I can complete level one online the same day that happens.  Considering what most of Level 1 consists of I'm surprised they let you do anything at all without it.

And in keeping in line with the subject of this thread, I was Logistics in the Army for 20 years, and I've already been tagged to be the log officer for the squadron.  I won't have rank with no specialty track.  As I happen to be an MCSE I may wind up being the IT officer too.

Besides, the unit I joined only wears polo shirts.  I don't know what rank anybody is anyway.  They pretty much all seem to be command pilots and master observers, so even as a Captain I'll still be the guy making the coffee.

flyboy53

You still haven't given enough information. Here's a few other ways that a promotion to captain can be earned.

You didn't say if he was a former member and had a grade reinstatement or something.

You also didn't say if there is a former military grade involved.

Furthermore, it's possible that he was given a special appointment or something. I know because that was how I was appointed to captain a long time ago. I was on active duty at the time and serving the CAP as region-level base laision.

One other example to note: Years ago when I was in the PA wing, we had a wartime member re-join. He was a CAP captain who was one of a very small group of individuals who served on active service as a flight instructor (you don't even hear a lot about those guys). Anyway, the group commander at the time wouldn't restore him in his original grade until National learned that this individual was personally promoted to captain during the active tour by John F. Curry himself. (in other words there was some real interesting and historical documentation). It was funny how fast the guy's new membership card got turned around....much to the dismay of the certain group commander. That individual was just happy to be reinstated as a captain and never progressed beyound that rank before he died in the mid-1970s.

Finally, if the guy's been a captain since you were a cadet, it tells me that he's content where he is and not that interested in doing what needs to be done, professional development-wise, for promotion. As long as he's a productive member of your unit, leave him alone.

Eclipse

Quote from: Custer on June 06, 2010, 05:30:03 AMUntil I have a CAPID I can't wear any uniform anyway, and I can complete level one online the same day that happens.

Nope - Level 1 is not "online".  There are several online tests that you are required to take as a pre-requisite to the summary conversations
required to be had with your commander or designate, at which time you will correct the tests to 100% and discuss CPPT.  When that is completed you will sign a CAPF 11 and it will be sent to NHQ.  Until that is done and NHQ accepts it, you will not be eligible for anything.

You will also need to complete online OPSEC and EO training as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Custer

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2010, 06:02:51 AM
Quote from: Custer on June 06, 2010, 05:30:03 AMUntil I have a CAPID I can't wear any uniform anyway, and I can complete level one online the same day that happens.
Nope - Level 1 is not "online".  There are several online tests that you are required to take as a pre-requisite to the summary conversations
required to be had with your commander or designate, at which time you will correct the tests to 100% and discuss CPPT.  When that is completed you will sign a CAPF 11 and it will be sent to NHQ.  Until that is done and NHQ accepts it, you will not be eligible for anything. You will also need to complete online OPSEC and EO training as well.

All fine by me.  Whatever system is in place is set up that way for a reason.

Gunner C

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 05, 2010, 10:07:53 AM
BTW, it's Capt, not CPT.  This isn't the Army.  Start with the basics and go from there.

Custer

Quote from: DBlair on June 04, 2010, 01:19:14 PM
There are a lot of ways (much to the dislike of some) to be a Captain without having to choose/earn a special rating.
Really?  I don't remember that one.  I certainly would not question it though, I know what it takes to make E9.

DBlair

Quote from: Custer on June 06, 2010, 08:20:33 PM
Quote from: DBlair on June 04, 2010, 01:19:14 PM
Really?  I don't remember that one.  I certainly would not question it though, I know what it takes to make E9.

I got those directly from the CAPR35-5.

I find the E9 and Accounting paths to Captain are probably the most unknown.

vmstan

I've been pointing it out to my wife, trying to get her to join up as our squadron finance officer. She's a CPA with a masters, so I've explained the fact that she'd be a Captain instantly and a Major before I'm even 1st Lt ... and it would be many years before I'd out rank her. She pointed out that she already out ranks me at home, so why mess up CAP for me too? ;)
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4