Rank with no specialty track rating

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, June 04, 2010, 05:54:07 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

How is it that some one is a CPT without having even a technician rating in a specialty track? Isn't having a specialty track rating part of Level 2 requirements?

whatevah

If that person was a Spaatz cadet, real military Captain or met one of the professional skills (medical doctor is one, IIRC) then that individual would be given Captain after completing what I call the probation period. :) 

Psst, it's in the regs.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

manfredvonrichthofen

lordmonar

Report it up the chain of command....that's in the regs as well.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Read CAPR 35-5, and CAPR 50-17, and them come back here with more information about the circumstances you are questioning.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Then tell us what it is and not play 20 questions. 

If you read CAPR 35-5, you will find that CFIs, ATPs, A&P w/IA, and Instrument Ground Instructors are just a few of the skills that can be appointed to Capt without a requirement to be in a specialty track. 

Just curious, why did you pick the name of an enemy of our country for your user name?  Yes, he was impressive but so is OBL.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

manfredvonrichthofen

Because Richthofen was a person I looked up to while I was in Iraq. The way he engaged in combat and treated the enemy was the way I wanted to.

DBlair

There are a lot of ways (much to the dislike of some) to be a Captain without having to choose/earn a special rating.

- Accountants
- Doctors (Physician, Dentist, or other health professional with a doctorate degree in a health care discipline.)
- Lawyers
- Spaatz Cadet (but by default he/she would automatically have a Senior Rating in CP)
- Eaker Cadet (+18 mo)(automatically Tech CP Rating and Level II complete, but just wait TIG for Capt)
- Real Military Officer Grade = Captain (O3)
- Real Military Enlisted Grade = E9
- CFI/CFII or ATP
- A&P Mechanic w/Inspection Authorization
- Ground Instrument Instructor
- Chaplain
- Teacher (A professional educator who has served as a teacher, counselor, school administrator, college or university professor or other faculty member)

(I think these are all of the possible fast-tracks to Captain)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

JoeTomasone

Be appointed as a Group Commander - can be promoted as high as Major.

Pylon

You can also get it for serving as a squadron commander for a year, too. Auto 1st Lt on appointment and Capt after a 1-year in the billet.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

N Harmon

1. Join CAP and immediately take the job of squadron commander -- 1st Lt.
2. Command squadron for a year -- Captain.
3. Get appointment as group commander -- Major.
4. Get appointment as wing commander -- Colonel.
5. Get appointment as national vice commander -- Brig General.
6. Get appointment as national commander -- Maj General.

All without a specialty track rating. It's possible, but probably not very likely past step 3.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

a2capt

Personally, I think only being on a units rolls for about 63 hours, I would spend my time doing something else other than questioning awards and ribbons.

Good luck with that.

Eclipse

Be prior service at or above the respective rating.

Be appointed as the commander of the state's Legislative unit - Lt. Col.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: N Harmon on June 04, 2010, 02:17:38 PM
1. Join CAP and immediately take the job of squadron commander -- 1st Lt.
2. Command squadron for a year -- Captain.
3. Get appointment as group commander -- Major.
4. Get appointment as wing commander -- Colonel.
5. Get appointment as national vice commander -- Brig General.
6. Get appointment as national commander -- Maj General.

All without a specialty track rating. It's possible, but probably not very likely past step 3.

You can't make major as a group commander without level two. At least that's what they told my group commander.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ßτε

QuoteGroup Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member up to the grade of major concurrent with the member's appointment as group commander. NOTE: AFIADL 13 or CAP Officer Basic Course must be completed prior to advancement to the grade of major.

manfredvonrichthofen

Ok, I didn't know accounting would get a rank like that. Thank you.

Майор Хаткевич

Accountants should get the credit for learning what they do...

Here's to passing my finals next Friday for the 101 class!

davidsinn

Quote from: bte on June 04, 2010, 03:51:02 PM
QuoteGroup Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member up to the grade of major concurrent with the member's appointment as group commander. NOTE: AFIADL 13 or CAP Officer Basic Course must be completed prior to advancement to the grade of major.

It was the ECI13/OBC that was holding him back.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vmstan

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 04, 2010, 04:25:22 PM
Accountants should get the credit for learning what they do...

Here's to passing my finals next Friday for the 101 class!

After watching my wife work towards her CPA, I would have no problem saluting her.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

DBlair

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 04, 2010, 04:03:36 PM
Ok, I didn't know accounting would get a rank like that. Thank you.

Finance Officers. Upon successful completion of Level I, the unit commander may initiate a CAPF 2 on qualified finance officers, recommending appointment to an appropriate grade, as outlined below.

(1) First Lieutenant. A financial professional with an associate's degree in accounting and 2 years verified work experience in the accounting profession or a high school diploma and 5 years of verified work experience in the accounting profession.

(2) Captain. A financial professional with a bachelor's degree in accounting and 2 years verified work experience in the accounting profession or a master's degree in accounting, certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA).

(3) Major. A financial professional with a master's degree in accounting, certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA) that has served 1 year time-in-grade as a captain may be appointed to the grade of major.

Rather than constantly (from what I've seen of your posts) trying to find every way around requirements for promotions and ribbons, how about doing things the right way and try to be of service to CAP. The promotions and awards will come with your involvement and service to CAP, but trying to find every way to squeeze out a promotion or ribbon isn't becoming of a new SM and doesn't make you look good to your fellow members. Keep that in mind.

Sure, most of us like to be promoted or get another ribbon, but it should never be our constant focus as it seems it is for you. If that is why you rejoined, then I will have to say that you joined for the wrong reason, and to be honest, with the way you are trying to squeeze the regs for ribbons and promotions, it makes me wonder the legitimacy of the ribbons you have thus far.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander