Advanced ICS
2 (7.4%)
Team Leader
3 (11.1%)
Mission AirCrew
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

mikeylikey

^ When I lived in Illinois, Wing had a scholarship fund for Senior Members.  This was 15 years ago, but I would see if they can fund your trip.  It does not hurt to ask.  Especially if you are going to a course where you will be able to bring back skills you can use immediately for the Wing.  Most Wings have a "Coffee fund" to help defer costs for a few cadets to attend activities.  Most often than not, not all the money is used, and some may be available for deserving Senior Members!

It just crossed my mind that perhaps you meant "afford it" as in can't miss work??

What's up monkeys?

Fifinella

^Also, NESA will reimburse you for the fuel if you pre-coordinate with them to bring a CAP van, and let them use the van during NESA.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SJFedor

Or if you're an aircrew person (students not so much, but if you're a student going, and know a MAS staff member...) you can fly a corporate aircraft in.

Somehow, I got lucky last year and was able to fly one of the TNWG birds up to MAS for the school to use. In fact, I actually gave a cadet of mine, who was a newly minted GSAR Advanced grad, a ride home.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

^ Both Fifinella and Fedor's suggestions are awesome!  Thats cool how you can get reimbursed if you let them use the van.  That would be well worth driving one out there.
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Yup, one of the MAS instructors drove a van all the way from the coast of South Carolina to NESA, with 1 or 2 other people on board who were attending schools there, and got reimbursed for the whole deal.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Jolt

I'm considering the advanced GSAR course this summer.  I've never been to NESA before, but I did get locally qualified as a GTM3 and I'm pretty familiar with all of the tasks and responsibilities.  I've also completed the ACUT and I got certified as an EMT on my own time.  My only concern is that I wouldn't know enough to start right into the advanced course without taking the basic course first, but I'm also afraid I may not learn much for $175 from the basic course.

Any suggestions?

Fifinella

^I assume you are at least 18, as per the prerequisite for GTL (CAPR 60-3, 2-3 r.) and for this course. [Team Leader Candidates must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the course.  http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=6990&audienceID=4]

If so: there were several cadets in the advanced class last year, and one of them was the Distinguished Graduate.  Just show up ready to work hard, and you'll learn a lot.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Jolt

Quote from: Fifinella on February 11, 2008, 12:09:04 AM
^I assume you are at least 18, as per the prerequisite for GTL (CAPR 60-3, 2-3 r.) and for this course. [Team Leader Candidates must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the course.  http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=6990&audienceID=4]

If so: there were several cadets in the advanced class last year, and one of them was the Distinguished Graduate.  Just show up ready to work hard, and you'll learn a lot.

Minimum age for advanced GSAR is 13.  I'm 17.

SJFedor

Quote from: Jolt on February 10, 2008, 08:03:11 PM
I'm considering the advanced GSAR course this summer.  I've never been to NESA before, but I did get locally qualified as a GTM3 and I'm pretty familiar with all of the tasks and responsibilities.  I've also completed the ACUT and I got certified as an EMT on my own time.  My only concern is that I wouldn't know enough to start right into the advanced course without taking the basic course first, but I'm also afraid I may not learn much for $175 from the basic course.

Any suggestions?

I had multiple cadets go up there for 1 week, who came in with GTM3 already completed, and after a quick rundown to make sure they were up to speed, since there was room, they got bumped direct to the advanced course.

If you're going to be 18 by the start of the course, I'd recommend you do Advanced GSAR week 1, and do Team Leader week two.

Or, if you're gonna be 18, go do Advanced GSAR week 1, and come do MAS week two  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Fifinella

Quote from: Jolt on February 11, 2008, 01:45:31 AM
Minimum age for advanced GSAR is 13.  I'm 17.
My apologies.  I thought you meant the GTL course.  Ditto what SJFedor said.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

nesagsar

I offer my services every year but I always get the same answer, I would have to join CAP again.

Too bad, my Group could use more ground team personnel, but if they want to deny themselves the resource thats thier problem.

I still show my support of the Academy through my screen name though.

Quote from: nesagsar on March 12, 2008, 06:27:44 AM
I offer my services every year but I always get the same answer, I would have to join CAP again.

Too bad, my Group could use more ground team personnel, but if they want to deny themselves the resource thats thier problem.

I still show my support of the Academy through my screen name though.

I believe they keep on rejecting your offer to help just out of liability.  They'd be liabile for you if you got hurt and while not a member you wouldn't be covered.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

nesagsar

I understand why they do it, I just think it is a bit limiting to only offer training from CAP members. People outside of CAP have learned some good ES lessons and are willing to teach.

SJFedor

Quote from: nesagsar on March 12, 2008, 03:41:02 PM
I understand why they do it, I just think it is a bit limiting to only offer training from CAP members. People outside of CAP have learned some good ES lessons and are willing to teach.

So why don't you come back in, and spread that wealth of knowledge for 2 weeks at year at NESA, and when you're not there, do some spreading in your home Wing?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Quote from: SJFedor on March 12, 2008, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: nesagsar on March 12, 2008, 03:41:02 PM

So why don't you come back in, and spread that wealth of knowledge for 2 weeks at year at NESA, and when you're not there, do some spreading in your home Wing?

Here, here.  That's a great idea, the more training you can give makes our orginization that much stronger.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

nesagsar

My squadron commander had a habit of shredding documents and not updating computers. He also liked to make up rules so he would look impressive. I was Cadet First Sergeant and I took it seriously. I called out some of the indescrepancies through COC but it didnt turn out well.

He is Group Commander now. I am out now.

I was accepted as staff at NESA the year I got out, 2005. Unfortunatly the confontation peaked about 2 months before NESA started and I had to leave before I could go out and teach.

capes

OK.  I'm new here, but let me get this straight....

You go to NESA for a year (prior to 2005) and become qualified in some specialty (probably some GTM).  Then you get accepted for staff for the 2005 activity, get accepted, then have a falling out with your unit and leave CAP.  (And you are on a CAP forum three years later).

"I offer my services every year but I always get the same answer, I would have to join CAP again"

Exactly how are you "offering your services" and to whom????   Applications for NESA are done electronically through the NTC site;  one must actually be a member to apply.  Also, I am curious as to what "services" you believe you can offer that the many other experienced staff members that currently staff all the schools at NESA can't provide?

I also saw you posted some laughable comments on this thread:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3692.msg87858

You give NESA grads a bad name with that trash.  I've known some really good folks from NESA, and others who aren't so good - its just like most activies in CAP

Jolt

Have you picked a wheelbarrow yet, "nesagsar"?

:D

N Harmon

What is/was the deadline for 2008 NESA applications?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

SJFedor

Quote from: N Harmon on March 20, 2008, 08:00:20 PM
What is/was the deadline for 2008 NESA applications?

Still accepting until the end of May i think.

http://ngsar.homestead.com/home.html

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver