Team Leader
3 (11.1%)
Mission AirCrew
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Horn229

Quote from: SJFedor on December 17, 2007, 08:45:10 AM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on December 16, 2007, 06:38:12 PM
So as far as the forms go can we just change them to reflect the 2008 dates? 

I'm going for both weeks, one week to Advanced GSAR to get my GT1 and then I'm doing a week of MAS to get my MO.  I've already got the time from work.  Filled out the online paper form now I just have to send my payment in. 

You may wanna look at Team Leader instead of Advanced. Team Leader is more seniors, and, I believe, it'll earn you GTM2, GTM1, UDF, and GTL.

The TL school is only there to train in GTL. GTM 2 and 1 require four more tasks, which can be completed if the CTA/FTA is willing to sign off, but GTM 2/1 are not a goal of the school.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Quote from: SJFedor on December 17, 2007, 08:45:10 AM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on December 16, 2007, 06:38:12 PM
So as far as the forms go can we just change them to reflect the 2008 dates? 

I'm going for both weeks, one week to Advanced GSAR to get my GT1 and then I'm doing a week of MAS to get my MO.  I've already got the time from work.  Filled out the online paper form now I just have to send my payment in. 

You may wanna look at Team Leader instead of Advanced. Team Leader is more seniors, and, I believe, it'll earn you GTM2, GTM1, UDF, and GTL.

I'd love to to the GTL school too but I'd have to opt out of MAS if I do that.  They're both being taught the same week.  I can do the last few tasks when I get back or I could get them done before I go down so that I still get both my GTM1 and my GTL. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Walkman

I'm hoping to get my GTM3 done within a few months and go to NESA for GTM 2/1.

Question for all those that have been: what's a good benchmark for the "physically fit" req? I'm wokring on getting in better shape, but a defined goal would help.

SJFedor

I see 10 people are saying they're going to Aircrew school. That's freakin awesome! We'll need to get a special CAPTalk morale patch made or something....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

IceNine

Quote from: SJFedor on December 18, 2007, 10:57:49 PM
I see 10 people are saying they're going to Aircrew school. That's freakin awesome! We'll need to get a special CAPTalk morale patch made or something....

Sign me up, I have no qualms with ripping a pocket flap off my brand new zoom bag

Now that I go looking of course the Aux on/off patches are all gone... anyone have one they want to part with?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Horn229

Quote from: Walkman on December 18, 2007, 09:48:02 PM
I'm hoping to get my GTM3 done within a few months and go to NESA for GTM 2/1.

Question for all those that have been: what's a good benchmark for the "physically fit" req? I'm wokring on getting in better shape, but a defined goal would help.

We're pretty lax at GSAR. The most you'll do in Advanced GSAR that is "physically demanding" would be: walking several miles in the woods with 24 hour gear, going on maybe 5 hours of sleep per night, and a few days  out of the week you'll be sitting in lectures all day.

There's no morning PT, no running, and unless there is a major vehicle shortage - your 72 hour gear will be driven to the bivouac site.

So that's pretty much it; walking, little sleep, and expect to drink upwards of 5+ quarts of water per day. We're very big on hydration at GSAR, depending on the temperature and if you're in the field, you should be drinking one (1) quart of water per hour. When the temperature is low, or if you're in a classroom environment, the consumption rate will drop to 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart per hour.

Anything else?

RiverAux

1/2-3/4 quarts of water per hour while sitting in a classroom?  Can you set a powerpoint projector up in a sauna or what?

IceNine

They have evacuation tubes set up >:D

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SJFedor

They make you chug so much in the classrooms so the First Responder students and local nursing students can get experience inserting catheters  :o

I always took a brand new bottle of water before I stepped to the aircraft at NESA (of course, after draining the personal on board tank) and made sure I drank it all before we landed. It gets HAWT up in those birds. Indiana summers are brutal.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Horn229

Quote from: RiverAux on December 19, 2007, 03:32:09 AM
1/2-3/4 quarts of water per hour while sitting in a classroom?  Can you set a powerpoint projector up in a sauna or what?

The temperature varies at NESA. The average temperature is pushing 90 if not over. Now group 40-60 people in a not-so-well ventilated room, and the temperature in the room continues to climb. Based on the color of the weather "flag", people are to drink anywhere from 1/2 quart of water an hour to 1 quart of water an hour.

Ensuring all drink 1/2 - 3/4 in a classroom is very much a preventative measure. It's much smarter to go into the field hydrated and ready to work, than dehydrated and ready to collapse. Heat injuries are a serious thing. I had one cadet under me collapse in the field from heat exhaustion, and she had been drinking the same amount as everyone else in my team -- some people just need more to drink than others (I believe Lt Col Bowden has his own story of this).

A few years ago one girl decided it would be smart to start the Land Nav course after an hour of NOT drinking any water. An hour into the 30 minute - 4 leg course, she'd not yet found her first point. About 10 minutes later she was brought to me, (sitting at the furthest away/hardest to get to point) going into heat stroke. I Had her drink a quart of water on the spot; removed her gear, boots, blouse and dumped my water over her. Another 10 minutes pass and the medic arrives. We carried her down to a stretcher and into a truck. 

At the end of the week during our school wide exercise, we'd been in the field for 2-3 hours, all were low on water, and it was getting late. Based on the time constraints of getting to a water point and back to our operating area, a few team leaders and I decided we would end our assignments and proceed to a road for transport home. As we began to move, I saw a cadet out of breath and pale -- we'd been standing around for over 5 minutes, no reason to be out of breath. I checked his skin and he was cool, checked his canteens and they were both full (he was in heat exhaustion). This cadet was the brother of the girl I'd carried out of the land nav course earlier in the week. -- Some people are just born stupid.

Hydration is a very serious thing to us at GSAR, we drill it into our students minds each and every day to prevent incidents like I've described above. At the ICSS however, they have other considerations to keep in mind -- Hypothermia for one. ;D

Walkman

Quote from: SJFedor on December 22, 2007, 09:26:54 AM
Indiana summers are brutal.

Oh yeah. I lived in that area for many years. The humidity sucks!

floridacyclist

Living in a swamp that hits 105 on a regular basis in the Summer makes me wonder if y'all have any idea what real heat/humidity is like LOL

Would love to do NESA this year, but we'll be on our bike ride. Maybe next.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Payment sent in.  Yay, now I just wait for all the approvals. 

For anyone who's been to NESA's Advanced GSAR which sort of tent is prefered?  A 2 season or a 4 season?  I've already got a 2 season but want to find out if I should start shopping for a 4 season.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Walkman

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on December 24, 2007, 03:23:53 PM
For anyone who's been to NESA's Advanced GSAR which sort of tent is prefered? 

My first SAREX, the LT told me that tent were "weak sauce".  :)

I've been thinking about only having a large tarp and 550 cord to make a tent in my pack. Would that work for NESA?

From what I have read I'm not sure.  I think actual tent is at least for Advanced GSAR as they said a vehichle will be used to carry the 72 hour gear while team members carry their 24 gear. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Horn229

What's on the packing list is not necessarily what you should bring. If you have a GT handbook, make sure you have every item on page O-0001 -- both 24, 72, and GTL gear.

Every person who brings a tent will get a very weird look from the staff, one of the tasks is "Set up a shelter". You'll do this task by making a shelter with either a tarp or spare poncho, and sleeping under it. The tent will just be extra weight you'll be carrying. Two 5x8 tarps would be good to bring, as one can be used for a ground cover.

Also, a military E-tool is what you should bring, not a walmart brand. The cheap one from walmart will bend and be worthless the second you try to clear the brush.

Nick Horn,
GSAR Staff 2002-2007

Nick what about on the 72 where it says tent.  What type of tent is preferred to bring a 2 season or 4 seasson?  I've got material for setting up a shelter. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Nathan

When I went in 06, we didn't need a tent. We weren't tested if we have it, and I didn't even put one in my gear. I would never carry a tent out into the field, anyhow; I just have an extra poncho and some tent stakes.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Horn229

That's the thing, a tent isn't preferred at GSAR. While you'll want a tent on a REDCAP, at GSAR the goal of the instructors is to ensure you know how to make a shelter. With that said, we're pretty lax about the standards of the shelter. I've seen 4 people make a group shelter, with all of the supplies be from 1 person and mostly constructed by that one person and all were signed off.

As long as you can go the 3-4 nights in the field, that's all we really care about. If you can get your hands on a shelter half, or another military poncho, you'll be good-to-go.

IceNine

What if that poncho moonlights as a tent?

I have one of the gore-tex poncho's that is also a bivy shelter.  Acceptable practice?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4