Getting Cadets Started

Started by 0, August 07, 2007, 05:14:39 PM

to all the other ESO's out there how do you get your cadets started on ES training?  I just assumed the role last night as our former ESO is moving to MD for work.  We've got people who are interested and I was thinking of maybe having a Saturday Ed Session where I work with the cadets on all the pre-req's to be a trainee.  What are your thoughts?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

smgilbert101

On the national web site, there are many excellent resources for getting your members ready for their ES qualifications.  From the main page, select members, operations.  There you will find links to training materials and the tasks guides (test) that are used by the evaluators for the ES qualifications.  That should get you started....
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

I've already got those materials.  I'm looking for ideas other people have succesfully used in their own units.   

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

floridacyclist

I would definitely recommend a class on General ES rather than expecting them to figure it out on their own. CAP seems overcome with the attitude of "The material is there, if they are motivated, they will find it on their own". Get them in a class, teach them GES, take the FEMA 100, 200, and 700 as a group then let them take the tests online before doing part 2 of GES; not only will they understand ICS and be NIMS-compliant, they'll get neat certificates from FEMA that way too AND have a better understanding of our part in the puzzle.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Camas

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 07, 2007, 06:20:44 PM
I would definitely recommend a class on General ES rather than expecting them to figure it out on their own.

That's what I did with my former squadron members.  Get the GES out of the way first; forget the rest of the stuff.  It's useless until the GES is done and the Curry Awards are entered into OpsQuals.

Once that's done, get them through BCUT; get that entered into OpsQuals and presto - you've got cadets with MRO/SQTR cards ready to go and ready to train as MRO's.  And that's a great ES achievement for cadets to strive for as a starting point in ES.  Later, you can pursue other ES achievements such as MSA, UDF and FLM. They really eat that stuff up once they get going.

Thanks, in our unit we try and push the GTM3 or UDF. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

wacapgh

I'll second Gene's recommendation. The first step for all CAP ES, is having a CAPF 101 with GES.

Focus on completion of IS 100 and 700 from FEMA. If you look at state and federal standards for basic ES workers, those two courses are in 99% on them.

Also, find out who has the legal responsibility in your state for SAR. Typically, each county sheriff conducts ground searches while air search is under a state police or a division of the state department of transportation.

If you are in one of the states where CAP runs air search directly, your task is somewhat easier.

If they have any additional or special training, incorporate that into your training plan. If you don't meet state and local law, you will not get called out.

Don't hesitate to ask your group or wing ES Officers for assistance as well. If they are familiar with your program and level of training, it will make getting their approval on 101 submissions much easier.

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 07, 2007, 06:20:44 PM
I would definitely recommend a class on General ES rather than expecting them to figure it out on their own.

Absolutely agree. 

isuhawkeye

These are great suggestions, and I agree completely.

Stonewall

This may or may not work for others, but this is what brought us to success in getting cadets interested and qualified in ES.  Make it mandatory. 

What?  Yep, make it a part of the standard squadron program.

Here's what we did.

Cadet joins CAP and goes through 9-week Training Flight.  Wow, that was fast, now you've got your first prerequisite, you're an Airman.

Next, at the squadron meeting, you begin teaching them the general emergency services curriculum.  You train them by powerpoint, hands on activities, telling [real] war stories, having experienced cadets get involved and teach something and then get them to take the GES test.  I will admit that I'm not 100% sure on how to get GES qualified these days as I've been out of the loop for a couple years.  Is it still online?

Next, intro to ground operations.  Your basic GT stuff.  Classroom via powerpoints, intro to gear with hands on stuff, a little intro to DFing, etc.  Make it cool and fun, not just a sit down and listen to what I say.

Then, it's first aid/CPR qualification time.  Make it a weekend activity.  First Aid/CPR doesn't exactly have to be an ES thing.  It's good for all of them to have, even if they're only in CAP to fly.  I think we can all agree on this.

Here comes comms...  ROA class mixed with some fun lessons on pro-words, the phonetic alphabet, sending and receiving messages, how a radio works, and so on.  Give them practical drills to work on.  Have them talk on the radios.  Cadets love that stuff.  You may even turn out a few commo gurus from it.

Finally, bring it all together.  Introduce them to other aspects of CAP ES.  Do they want to work at mission base, comms, or on the ground team.  Tell them where and how to get gear.  Give them the standards so they aren't running out buying their first Rambo knife instead of a Leatherman.

Hey, the above worked for me for many many years.  Remember, realistically it may take a year or more for them to get qualified.  If you do it right, and actually train them to standard, you should have a qualified GTM in less than a year.  But pencil whip nothing or they'll learn nothing.  When they earn their GTM badge, make it a big event.  Don't let them just wear it when they "earn it".

As for GTM badge presentation, we always waited to present them until the last day of an FTX.  We'd form'em up, call them up one at a time, and have the highest ranking SM, usually the Wing King or Wing ESO pin on their GTM badge.  We also had one cool certificate made up too.  What did this accomplish?  It made it real.  It made the others strive harder to earn something so coveted.  It works.  Trust me.  If you can, make every moment special for cadets, they'll remember it forever and hopefully return the favor years down the road.  I did.
Serving since 1987.

wacapgh

Stomewall:

Yes, the CAPT 116 Part 1 is still available online. Completion should automatically update the members training record in MIMS. It can also be taken locally "on paper" and may be administered by the Testing Officer or Emergency Services Officer. However, test completion will have to be manually entered in MIMS for each person.

You then have the option of taking the CAPT 116 Part 2, or completing FEMA IS-100.

I recommend my members to sign up and take the FEMA courses, as they need to show completion of IS-100 and IS-700 to apply for their state ES workers card.

Stonewall

Quote from: wacapgh on August 09, 2007, 06:03:21 PM
Stomewall:

Yes, the CAPT 116 Part 1 is still available online. Completion should automatically update the members training record in MIMS. It can also be taken locally "on paper" and may be administered by the Testing Officer or Emergency Services Officer. However, test completion will have to be manually entered in MIMS for each person.

You then have the option of taking the CAPT 116 Part 2, or completing FEMA IS-100.

I recommend my members to sign up and take the FEMA courses, as they need to show completion of IS-100 and IS-700 to apply for their state ES workers card.

Thanks for the update.  Cool about the IS courses, I've done those 2 plus 3 or 4 others for my Police Department.  All my ES quals are still good till 2008 so if I choose to continue on, I'll have to get back into the game soon.
Serving since 1987.