Senior Member Physical Fitness

Started by winterg, December 30, 2015, 12:20:17 PM

Holding Pattern

Quote from: RiverAux on January 03, 2016, 02:45:56 AM
Yep, primarily because CAP hasn't made a priority of making sure the proper folks know that we have trained and capable personnel.

Also it seems that most areas just don't consider calling CAP at all, regardless of local squadron readiness status.

RiverAux

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on January 03, 2016, 11:08:36 AM
Yep, primarily because CAP hasn't made a priority of making sure the proper folks know that we have trained and capable personnel.

Also it seems that most areas just don't consider calling CAP at all, regardless of local squadron readiness status.

Primarily due to failure on our part to regularly make a point of meeting and training with any potential "customer"...., but I feel we're way off topic now. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: RiverAux on January 03, 2016, 01:09:52 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on January 03, 2016, 11:08:36 AM

Primarily due to failure on our part to regularly make a point of meeting and training with any potential "customer"...., but I feel we're way off topic now.

Not necessarily off topic, but in a roundabout way on topic, insofar as some local and state agencies look at CAP and some of its members and say "oh H*** Naw!" due to the hodgepodge of uniforms, incompatible equipment, and personal appearance. In some peoples' eyes, that kind of presentation can leave a very, very prejudicial impression on the professionals as a bunch of "military wannabes and junior ROTC rejects".
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

winterg

Alright, back on topic. :)  Even if some of the tangents are great discussions.

Civil Air Patrol is already an established Advocate with the President's Challenge.

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/about/advocates/current%20advocates.shtml#Civil Air Patrol

We could easily take advantage of that by encouraging members to take part in the program and committing to recognize members who complete achievements.  It makes a difference to members when achievements are publicly acknowledged.  And using the awards offered by the President's Challenge is a great place to start. Ask the Group or Wing CC to come and recognize the senior members who have reached milestones in the physical fitness challenges.  Certificates are about $0.85 and the medallions are about $6.00.  If that is too much, just have the member buy the award that they will be presented with.

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/shop/category.php?cat=0

RiverAux

There are some other valid reasons for encouraging senior member physical fitness besides those already mentioned primarily related to potential medical costs and death benefits associated with some medical incidents that happen during AFAMS or other CAP activities.  I have no idea how much the AF and CAP pay out for such costs on a yearly basis, but any costs are worth reducing in this area. 

abdsp51

Quote from: winterg on January 03, 2016, 01:35:28 PM
Alright, back on topic. :)  Even if some of the tangents are great discussions.

Civil Air Patrol is already an established Advocate with the President's Challenge.

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/about/advocates/current%20advocates.shtml#Civil Air Patrol

We could easily take advantage of that by encouraging members to take part in the program and committing to recognize members who complete achievements.  It makes a difference to members when achievements are publicly acknowledged.  And using the awards offered by the President's Challenge is a great place to start. Ask the Group or Wing CC to come and recognize the senior members who have reached milestones in the physical fitness challenges.  Certificates are about $0.85 and the medallions are about $6.00.  If that is too much, just have the member buy the award that they will be presented with.

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/shop/category.php?cat=0

Again going to need more than this for this to take flight.  There's nobreal incentive here for sm to really pursue this.

winterg

Almost 1,700 views on this thread in 3 days tells me that there may be more members interested in this topic than you think.

lordmonar

Quote from: winterg on January 04, 2016, 12:20:51 AM
Almost 1,700 views on this thread in 3 days tells me that there may be more members interested in this topic than you think.
People stop and look at car accidents.....does not mean they want to be in one.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

winterg

Fair enough.  The unsubscribe button is right there.  :)

Lem

Good day to you all
I can not speak for everyone else  but I personally think there should be some form of physical fitness training criteria for senior members in CAP. Especially if you are ground team member/leader We are here to help people not be come one of the victims  Even aircrews should be physically fit to some extent

Why should we ask of our cadets to do something that we are not willing to do our selves. That is not leading by an example that is more like do as I say not as I do.

I understand there are people that unable to do the PT due to physical limitations. And I am sure there could be some form of waver just like there are for cadets that have physical limitations.  I have two bum knees  and in the next few days 21Jan. to be exact go in for the first of the knee replacement surgeries. But that has not stopped me from riding a bike or hiking or to be a ground team member. I take my anti-inflammatory pills and keep going.

As a Squadron we are looking into doing this on our own, we have a couple of RN's on our staff and one doctor. and they are looking into the Air Force criteria for our age groups. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.   I can say this I look forward to the time in the next six months after both knees are done and rehab is over I can join in on the PT night . Again these is my opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours.

FW

Quote from: lordmonar on January 04, 2016, 12:48:17 AM
People stop and look at car accidents.....does not mean they want to be in one.  :)

Every time I re read this thread, I smile.  CAP actually promotes a healthy lifestyle for the membership.  It's the reason we have HSOs.  Every annual conference, CAP sponsors its "fitness walk".   There are a few other "examples", however I think the big problem is member "compliance", and lack of a real commitment from leadership.  It is also true we have a culture of coffee and donuts, and if we wrap the donuts in bacon, we become more satisfied with ourselves.  It would be nice if we could strike a balance, but those bacon wrapped donuts are just too strong a pull on our systems... >:D

winterg

Quote from: FW on January 16, 2016, 02:15:22 PM
Every time I re read this thread, I smile.  CAP actually promotes a healthy lifestyle for the membership.  It's the reason we have HSOs.  Every annual conference, CAP sponsors its "fitness walk".   There are a few other "examples", however I think the big problem is member "compliance", and lack of a real commitment from leadership.  It is also true we have a culture of coffee and donuts, and if we wrap the donuts in bacon, we become more satisfied with ourselves.  It would be nice if we could strike a balance, but those bacon wrapped donuts are just too strong a pull on our systems... >:D

Great in theory. But I have never once seen a CAP HSO promote anything associated with healthy lifestyle choices.  And can you give me information on the "CAP Fitness Walk"?  I've never heard of this program/event.  Google didn't turn up anything for a specific event with this name.

THRAWN

On paper it is why HSOs exist. I was in 4 squadrons, 2 groups and 2 wings. Never saw a donut.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

You never saw a donut?  ???

But in those units, HSOs should not have pushed donuts... Was that the reason?  :-\

Did they push bran cereals instead?  :P

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

FW

Quote from: THRAWN on January 16, 2016, 02:35:53 PM

On paper it is why HSOs exist. I was in 4 squadrons, 2 groups and 2 wings. Never saw a donut.

You haven't read this thread?  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20356.msg373902#msg373902
:P

vorteks

OK now you got my attention! Breakfast anyone?

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Whaaa? 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Live2Learn

All at the same time?!!!  WOW!!! 

USACAP

America is fat. Period.
The active military is pushing towards a 20% obesity rate across the force.
The numbers in the reserves exceed 30% and now exceeds 40% in first term enlistees as of the last USAR state of the force brief @ AUSA in the fall.
CAP is a volunteer organization ... correct me if I am wrong, but CAP doesn't have a Senior Member fitness program. There's no reg for that.
You come with what you have. CAP has uniforms to accommodate obese and unfit Senior Members.
Military PT, for the most part is a disaster ... one that leaves servicemembers weak and crippled when they retire or leave service. It scarcely works for the active force. If you know much about being strong and about fitness - flip open the Army or USAF PT handbook for some seriously good laughs.
See:
http://startingstrength.com/articles/army_weak_long.pdf
How on Earth would CAP run a fitness program for part time volunteers?
What model would they select? What would work for members age 18-75?