Where can Photo Id be Used?

Started by 2ltAlexD, July 08, 2009, 09:02:47 PM

2ltAlexD

Hi there! Where can the CAP photo id be used? Can it be used at airports? I lost my civilian id and was wondering if my CAP one would do. Plus I'm proud of it, so it would be neat if it works in different places.
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

Lt Oliv

The CAP Photo ID can pretty much be used any time you need to identify yourself as a member of CAP.  So, if your unit is doing work at an air show or state fair and you need that extra little edge to get yourself past the ticket booth, the ID generally gets you through.  If you meet on a base it can get you in (provided you are also on the access list).  And if you are applying for various discounts like the one for Oakley, it works great. 

I'm not going to say it cannot be used at the airport, as the ID accepted by the ticketing agent is pretty subjective.  I've had ticket agents accept student IDs and even my DD-214 when I got out of the Navy.  However, rest assured, your CAP ID is not the "Government Issued Identification" that airports and banks generally want to see.

In the eyes of law enforcement and many other government agencies, a CAP ID (photo or otherwise) has about the same legal standing as an AARP Card.

Being "proud" to volunteer in CAP is great.  But there is also a difference between "proud" and "showing off."  So be careful to balance.  You probably wouldn't be too impressed if a guy walked all around town showing his USCG Aux ID to everyone at the drop of a hat.

I will say that my ID came in handy once when a local cop stopped me at an event and wanted to see my military ID.  When I explained I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and not the military, he swelled at the possibility of arresting someone for impersonating an officer.  The CAP Photo ID deflated him.  That's about it.  It's a voluntary ID for a volunteer organization.

DBlair

No, I do not believe it can be used at airports. It is not a government-issued ID. As for using it elsewhere, the use is no more than if you just had the non-photo membership card. It is not a military ID, but rather an organizational membership card, and the most it can be used for would be getting on base, getting CAP discounts, or otherwise proving CAP membership.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

"Works"?

You CAP ID is for any time you need to prove your status as a member of the Civil Air Patrol.
It should also be on your person during unit meetings, encampments, emergency services exercises,
and other times you are in uniform.

In most cases, a CAP ID is the first thing required on any equipment list for a CAP activity.  The  photographic ID is considered a substitute for the standard ID all members receive.

Whether or not it "works" anywhere else is dependent on the agency or organization.  In most cases it is not a substitute for a legal id such as a driver's license or passport.  I would not suggest you use it as your primary identification card for any non-CAP related circumstances, especially an airport.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on July 08, 2009, 09:02:47 PM
Hi there! Where can the CAP photo id be used? Can it be used at airports? I lost my civilian id and was wondering if my CAP one would do. Plus I'm proud of it, so it would be neat if it works in different places.
If your civilian ID is a driver's license, you'd better get another one.

The cops won't take your CAP card if they stop you for a traffic violation.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

2ltAlexD

Hahahaha! I don't think you want me on the road! I'm totally blind.

PA Guy

CAP often refers to the "ID" card as a membership card which, I think, shows their intent/attitude toward the subject.

It is in no way a govt. issued ID.  I would not attempt to use it at an airport or other instance where an offical ID is required. Unless you don't mind being embarrassed.

JayT

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on July 08, 2009, 10:53:16 PM

Just curious, and this is a legit question......How do you use a computer and word processing software?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

2ltAlexD

I use a screen reader called System Access.

JayT

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on July 09, 2009, 12:40:13 AM
I use a screen reader called System Access.

Can you explain a little how it works?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

2ltAlexD

It reads to me everything on screen. You can try it out yourself at www.satogo.com

JohnKachenmeister

Get a Florida driver's license.  You'll fit right in!   ;D
Another former CAP officer

DC

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 10, 2009, 01:05:40 PM

You owe me a new keyboard for that one!  ;D

tarheel gumby

QuoteGet a Florida driver's license.  You'll fit right in!   ;D

That would be very funny if it wasn't so tragic...... and true
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

w7sar

"Hi there! Where can the CAP photo id be used? "

I used mine today to make a phone call at a pay phone.

(couldn't resist)

Jw
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

DBlair

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 10, 2009, 01:05:40 PM

LOL!!!
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

Always wondered by the street signs in Orlando were in braille.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

caplegalnc

I thought we had some core values.  The use of an ID for purposes other than for CAP is one thing but negative statements about visually impaired individuals pushed the envelope. 
Chief Justice
NC-019

2ltAlexD

That is the very reason I am transfering into the CG Aux. I'm treated alot better there and its much more professional.

Eclipse

Looks like September has come around early this year...  ::)

"That Others May Zoom"